Auris HA2 SF
Jun 15, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #211 of 376
Auris said stick to 12AU7s. I don't think they said don't change the tubes whatsoever.
I wanted better mids definition so I decided to try out some alternative tubes. When it comes to sound tuning, "improvement" is subjective to individual preferences isn't it?
"Dear Manuel,
The only tube you can change is ECC82 and this will add some different sound to you. If you want buy some NOS Mulard.

BR
Milomir Trosic
Founder

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #214 of 376
So my question is left unanswered...

When you seek euphony from youre amp, was the Auris hs2-sf the right choice ? I mean the biggest improvement from its predecessor is it s neutral tuning...
I came from a OTL amp needing a change and better resolution. I honestly did not know what to expect from the Auris. I have not heard the SE. So I tried to tweak it to a sound profile of my preference after I got it.
Also to make it clear, euphonic doesn't mean super warm and bloated according to me. I just want wanted lush mids and some sweetness.

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #215 of 376
interested in your impressions of how the LCD-4 and ZMF Verite (both in the elite category) pair with the Auris.

as an aside, top-tier headphones used to cost significantly less than good amps. now, they cost as much or significantly more. i often consider a Hedd or the Empyrean but it is more out of curiosity and taking part in the hobby than any perceived deficiencies with my current headpho

I came from a OTL amp needing a change and better resolution. I honestly did not know what to expect from the Auris. I have not heard the SE. So I tried to tweak it to a sound profile of my preference after I got it.
Also to make it clear, euphonic doesn't mean super warm and bloated according to me. I just want wanted lush mids and some sweetness.
O.k. understand. Where i am skeptical when just the one driver tube will change the sound signature of the whole amp. The ECC82 Tubes i found from local dealers are mostly gold pins - useless for the Auris..

I am open for improvements whatsover, which 12AU7 did you tried ?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #216 of 376
O.k. understand. Where i am skeptical when just the one driver tube will change the wound signature of the whole amp. The ECC82 Tubes i found from local dealers are mostly gold pins - useless for the Auris..

O.k. understand. Where i am skeptical when just the one driver tube will change the sound signature of the whole amp. The ECC82 Tubes i found from local dealers are mostly gold pins - useless for the Auris..

I am open for improvements whatsover, which 12AU7 did you tried ?
Your skepticism is valid to some extent. Unlike some other tube amps I have tried, the tubes here won't make it sound completely different. But they do have an impact. I have tried the Mullards, Bugle Boys and the Philips. I liked the Bugle boys the most. I suggest you start with a NOS Telefunken ECC82. They are known for their clarity and dynamics.

Jun 16, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #217 of 376
Your skepticism is valid to some extent. Unlike some other tube amps I have tried, the tubes here won't make it sound completely different. But they do have an impact. I have tried the Mullards, Bugle Boys and the Philips. I liked the Bugle boys the most. I suggest you start with a NOS Telefunken ECC82. They are known for their clarity and dynamics.
I don't understand why gold pin tubes would be useless. The gold vs. normal versions of same tube might not make much difference, but "useless" is probably too strong a statement. I like my Gold Lion ECC82 better than the stock driver. The stock one sounds a little too "overdriven solid state" to me.

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #218 of 376
I talked to a vendor who explain to me the advantage of gold pins is only if the socket is gold plated (how ever that's explained). If it's normal ceramic or whatever the material, it's very minimal advantage for the cost versus normal pinned.

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #219 of 376
E3318812-FE45-4C85-96DD-8E3EC2AFE1A8.jpeg9CF663A1-5562-4A34-8243-DB97D3AD097D.jpegA798A523-7A62-46BD-AD5D-F0D0E35020E6.jpeg

That was easy.

How to make Phonitor X look small…

First impression: it sounds great after 20 min warmup. No noise, hum, or microphonics. I’m sure that the soundstage, timbre, and dynamics will improve with burn in, but it is surprisingly excellent out of the box.
Is the headphone connected to the HA2-SF of this last photo a ZMF? The cable surely looks like it.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #221 of 376
I talked to a vendor who explain to me the advantage of gold pins is only if the socket is gold plated (how ever that's explained). If it's normal ceramic or whatever the material, it's very minimal advantage for the cost versus normal pinned.
I agree with this, but for the JJ driver tubes, the gold pin variant sounds different and better. Perhaps the tube internals are slightly better. There need to be more driver options for this amp.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #222 of 376
Thanks for clarify. I cant find Bugle Boys in Europe. NOS Telefunken`s goes for CHF 120.00 = USD 132.00. I am not sure if its worth it.....

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #225 of 376
Worst case you can resell it and recoup most of the cost
The Market in Switzerland can not be compared to the US. I had to order from Germany. For Example, Amazon doesˋnt even ship to switzerland. So reselling is highly unlikeliy. On the other hand, here i have to pay way more for a decent Dinner (with french Wine of course:wine_glass:) than the cost of this Tube…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back