Auralic Taurus or Bryston BHA-1
Jan 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #46 of 55
  Anyone here have an amp they can recommend in the sub $500 range that gives the level of bass power and detail comparable to the Bryston? I have the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo -DB and am getting a pair of HD650s. I demoed them on the Bryston and they sounded perfect for what I'm looking for, but my budget for the amp is really $400ish at the most. I've heard the Maverick D1 before and loved it, but it was plugged into a Schiit Yygrdrasil and I have no idea if my little CLAS DAC will allow the Maverick to perform at that level.

Just seeing this now, 3+ months after you wrote it. I've never heard the Bryston, but I have heard some other good HP amps. Assuming you need single-ended amplification (in your price range, that's just about all there is), 2 candidates jump out at me:

1. Audio GD C-2 (headphone amp/pre-amp). I own 2 other Audio GD products, the NOS 19 DAC and NFB 15.32 3-in-1 unit, and am extremely impressed with both. The headphone amp in the 15.32 is very good-sounding and strong for such an inexpensive unit. For those reasons, I'd bet the A.GD HP amp is aces. I know some others on Head-Fi who own & love it. List on the C-2 is $450 + shipping [http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22015/C22015EN.htm]

2. Lake People G-109A (straight headphone amp): I own this and can attest that it is, for the price, extremely strong & good sounding. I use it nearly every day. I like it so much that I'm strongly tempted to upgrade to other classic Violectric products--the V200 HP amp, much praised here; or 1 of the 2 HP amp/preamp offerings (V220 S.E. or V181 balanced/S.E.)--all way more money than than the 109-A, though, which I got for ~$430.

The G-109A has been discontinued, unfortunately--but the nearly identical G-109S model currently lists for ~$615, and there's a 15% winter discount offered Violectric USA [http://violectric-usa.com/headphone-amplifiers/g109-s]

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #47 of 55
Bryston BHA 1 is a bright leaning neutralish, detailed sounding amp. The sound is refined though; it doesnt have any rawness or edge to it anywhere. So though treble extends pretty well and with energy it doesn’t sizzle or even sparkle; it is very controlled. Yesss control is a feature of this amp across entire spectrum. Bass slams in a tight fast manner not pounding in any way. It also sounds open and wide. The soundstage is wider compared to other dimensions but it does have the other 2 dimensions.

Feb 2, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #48 of 55
Right now I have the Bryston, Taurus and WA22 with my Lcd-4/3 and HD800S. So far used all 3 amps with various aftermarket 4pin cables and slightly preferred the Woo and Taurus.
Since I got a new Cardas Clear 2x3 pin cable the Bryston is clearly better than the Taurus( which only has SE and xlr 4 pin). Esp. the Lcd-3 sound stunning with great treble and wider than usual soundstage without giving up it's darker nature and the gorgeous bass.
The clarity/resolution seems to be better with the Bryston and overall there is this impression of complete control of the music.
It looks as if I am going to sell the Taurus and keep the Bryston and Woo...best of both worlds.
The only amp still tempting is the Violectric V281....

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #49 of 55
Right now I have the Bryston, Taurus and WA22 with my Lcd-4/3 and HD800S. So far used all 3 amps with various aftermarket 4pin cables and slightly preferred the Woo and Taurus.
Since I got a new Cardas Clear 2x3 pin cable the Bryston is clearly better than the Taurus( which only has SE and xlr 4 pin). Esp. the Lcd-3 sound stunning with great treble and wider than usual soundstage without giving up it's darker nature and the gorgeous bass.
The clarity/resolution seems to be better with the Bryston and overall there is this impression of complete control of the music.
It looks as if I am going to sell the Taurus and keep the Bryston and Woo...best of both worlds.
Just reading this series two years after the last post. The amazing thing about the Bryston is that it is still competing after this number of years. Have been considering the BHA-1 vs Burson Soloist 3xP, the latter which has some similarities and is half the price but has some QC issues (blowing up HPs due to electrical short problems) - of which I have not seen a breath of concern for Bryston. Cayin C9 has been similarly tempting but (similar to Burson 3XP) shorts out sources that are charging at the same time and will not allow connection to a powered DAC. It seems that the 20 year warranty makes sense because it is still Bryston's flagship HP amplifier after nearly 10 years - whatever listeners thought about the SQ (remembering that the source and HPs both color the amp SQ so multiple ones should be used to gain an impression about an amp), no one seems to have ever had concerns about it blowing anything up, including itself.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #50 of 55
Just reading this series two years after the last post. The amazing thing about the Bryston is that it is still competing after this number of years. Have been considering the BHA-1 vs Burson Soloist 3xP, the latter which has some similarities and is half the price but has some QC issues (blowing up HPs due to electrical short problems) - of which I have not seen a breath of concern for Bryston. Cayin C9 has been similarly tempting but (similar to Burson 3XP) shorts out sources that are charging at the same time and will not allow connection to a powered DAC. It seems that the 20 year warranty makes sense because it is still Bryston's flagship HP amplifier after nearly 10 years - whatever listeners thought about the SQ (remembering that the source and HPs both color the amp SQ so multiple ones should be used to gain an impression about an amp), no one seems to have ever had concerns about it blowing anything up, including itself.
Thanks for reminding me about the Bryson. Everything I have mentioned I sold on to try other things. But bought the HD800S again, it’s just too good.

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #51 of 55
I'd completely forgotten about this thread--but here it is.

As time passed I got more and more into amps. I now have 7 amps, which is sick. But fun. The best is the V281 (love love LOVE that amp). Newest is Monoprice Liquid Gold X, which is a bit of a thrill ride.

Still have the wonderful Lake People G109-A (now long out of production). I'll sell that soon because it's single-ended and I rarely use it now.

I almost bought an 8th amp today (part of an all-in-one by Audio GD) but that appears to be falling through. Which is totally fine. I'm keeping my eyes open for a gently used Wells Audio Milo.

Amps are an obsession for me. It's a good thing space here is so limited, or it might really get out of hand.

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #52 of 55
How do you like the bryston compared to the gsx? Particularly with your clears?

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #53 of 55
I'd completely forgotten about this thread--but here it is.

As time passed I got more and more into amps. I now have 7 amps, which is sick. But fun. The best is the V281 (love love LOVE that amp). Newest is Monoprice Liquid Gold X, which is a bit of a thrill ride.

Still have the wonderful Lake People G109-A (now long out of production). I'll sell that soon because it's single-ended and I rarely use it now.

I almost bought an 8th amp today (part of an all-in-one by Audio GD) but that appears to be falling through. Which is totally fine. I'm keeping my eyes open for a gently used Wells Audio Milo.

Amps are an obsession for me. It's a good thing space here is so limited, or it might really get out of hand.
Sounds like you are well set up but not with the BHA-1. Unfortunately I cannot find. V281 new anymore (probably also out of production) though it may turn up on tbe used market. Violectric still sells tbe V280 (final edition), and it’s currently on sale at Drop. By all accounts that has the same signature as the V281 but less power and inputs/outputs. Some say BHA-1 has more detail delivery and treble extension while bass quality depends on the Hp pairing, though at this price point that is generally true.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #54 of 55
How do you like the bryston compared to the gsx? Particularly with your clears?
I think from memory(don’t have the Bryson anymore) the GSX mini is the better amp; Bryson wins in the looks department, though. Also don’t have the Clear MG any longer. It never opened up for me. Even after 2 months I still had a veiled sound; the same happened with my first pair of Utopias. Some Focal headphones need serious brain or whatever burn in and sometimes it never happens.

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #55 of 55
I've tried many, many amps with my HD800S - the Bryston, the Pass, various Woos, the top Luxman, the Sennheiser - and kept the Bryston. It's solid, clean, and neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back