Auralic Taurus or Bryston BHA-1
Apr 26, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #31 of 55
Have you eventually concluded that both Bryston and Taurus are more on analytical side, while Bryston is a bit less analytical (accourding to your friend)?

I've read many times that Bryston goes really well with different with LCD-2 and LCD-3. I am not sure about LCD-X. as they differ in specifications. Anybody had experience with Bryston (as well as Taurus) with LCD-X phones? I am looking for a universal amp that will play very well with different headphones and great with LCD-X? Isn't Bryston too analytical for very neutral LCD-X?

Did you try it out yourself? I'm in the same boat. Want to buy the Bryston for my LCD-X too. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #33 of 55
I'd rather have an honest amp and let the headphones apply the sound signature.  I believe the BHA-1 is perfect for that.  I haven't spent that much time with my new BHA-1 but, from what I have heard thus far, I've been very impressed.

Mike

May 1, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #34 of 55
  I'd rather have an honest amp and let the headphones apply the sound signature.  I believe the BHA-1 is perfect for that.  I haven't spent that much time with my new BHA-1 but, from what I have heard thus far, I've been very impressed.

Mike

How can you call it an honest amp? How can anyone call it an honest amp? An amp that adds brightness that was never there, not when the band  recorded the music, not when they played it live, never.

May 1, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #35 of 55

How can you call it an honest amp? How can anyone call it an honest amp? An amp that adds brightness that was never there, not when the band  recorded the music, not when they played it live, never.

Honest?  To me, that means uncolored sound.

Are you claiming that the BHA-1 is bright?  Or, are you saying the amp is brighter than other amps you prefer?

Mike

May 1, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #36 of 55
  Honest?  To me, that means uncolored sound.

Are you claiming that the BHA-1 is bright?  Or, are you saying the amp is brighter than other amps you prefer?

Mike

So basically you said it yourself, uncolored sound, yet on the other hand, you said that BHA-1 is not bright, meaning you have put yourself the idea that the sound it gives you is uncolored, and the brightness that you hear is natural.

May 2, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #37 of 55

So basically you said it yourself, uncolored sound, yet on the other hand, you said that BHA-1 is not bright, meaning you have put yourself the idea that the sound it gives you is uncolored, and the brightness that you hear is natural.

At least we can agree on the definition of 'uncolored' sound.  LOL.

The BHA-1 has not changed the sound of any of my recordings that I've been listening to for years.  So, I cannot claim that the sound is bright, or forward.
Perhaps, my headphones are masking the claimed 'brightness'?

Mike

May 4, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #38 of 55

That makes at least three of us.  I've got the LCD-X's on order now.  Not sure what amp to move to yet.

Please post your findings  -----  very curious to see what you think.  I'm used to a tube amp and am a little leery about solid state amp in general.  Based on what I'm reading here, seems like the music will sound the same as it does coming out of the DAC... I guess since I like to tube roll I'm used to some sort of coloring.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #39 of 55
Bump... I'm choosing between these amps as well for the LCD-X (or any other solid-state choices in the price range).

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #41 of 55

And who else offers a 20 year Warranty?

But, who can stay with the same amp for 20 years? 
dt880smile.png

Mike

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #43 of 55
^^^^
I'm only joking. 
The BHA-1 is a fantastic sounding amp and I plan on keeping this amp for long after its warranty term.

Mike

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #44 of 55
Anyone here have an amp they can recommend in the sub $500 range that gives the level of bass power and detail comparable to the Bryston? I have the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo -DB and am getting a pair of HD650s. I demoed them on the Bryston and they sounded perfect for what I'm looking for, but my budget for the amp is really $400ish at the most. I've heard the Maverick D1 before and loved it, but it was plugged into a Schiit Yygrdrasil and I have no idea if my little CLAS DAC will allow the Maverick to perform at that level.

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #45 of 55
Just found this thread, so a little late with my personal information but here goes...

My rig progression has been: BiFrost/Asgard2 --> Gungnir/Mjolnir1 --> Gungnir/BHA-1 --> GMB/BHA-1. Have never personally heard the Taurus amp, there are a lot of positive comments about it. I decided to go with the Bryston due to the company reputation, 20-yr warranty, and all the features it has.

The BHA-1 has been a very satisfying amp for me. Plenty of power to drive even the HD800 and certainly the LCD series (see my profile for the gear). It's a smooth and well-defined SQ. Not bright IMO but just right for a solid-state amp. My rig was a bit bright with earlier equipment that didn't have the power for the HD800. The build quality of the BHA-1 is just superb. 

Another great rig upgrade was on the DAC - to the Schiit MB technology - that opened up the music nicely. I've heard the Yggy/Rag and Yggy/WA5 rigs at the Nashville meets, they sound great but are considerably more expensive. I'm happy right where I am. FWIW friends.

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back