AURALiC owners unite!
Jul 10, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #2,296 of 2,392
For those that understand the digital world better than me:

i am feeding my aries g2.1 streamer by usb cable into my dac.
if i use the “volume” control of the aries to alter the volume coming out of my headphone amp, does that also affect the level of resolution that is being passed on in the streaming to my dac?

is it any different depending on the connection with the dac (eg usb v coax)?

tia

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #2,297 of 2,392
For those that understand the digital world better than me:

i am feeding my aries g2.1 streamer by usb cable into my dac.
if i use the “volume” control of the aries to alter the volume coming out of my headphone amp, does that also affect the level of resolution that is being passed on in the streaming to my dac?

is it any different depending on the connection with the dac (eg usb v coax)?

tia
I'm not entirely sure if it would impact upon resolution but I would always send the full output from the streamer by disabling volume control and use my DAC's volume control.

I doubt that the different connections would have any influence on this.

Jul 10, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #2,298 of 2,392
I'm not entirely sure if it would impact upon resolution but I would always send the full output from the streamer by disabling volume control and use my DAC's volume control.

I doubt that the different connections would have any influence on this.
My dac does not have volume control and the amp that i bought (niimbus us4 as opposed to us4+) does not have a remote function
:)

hence just sussing out what does what

Jul 10, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2,299 of 2,392
My dac does not have volume control and the amp that i bought (niimbus us4 as opposed to us4+) does not have a remote function
:)

hence just sussing out what does what
I'd be resigned to getting up to change the volume then. The best thing to do is try it and see what you think. Your ears are a better judge of this than anyone on the forum. I have no idea if there is a technical loss of resolution - I cannot think why there would be but perhaps someone else knows better (almost certainly).

Jul 12, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #2,300 of 2,392
Just installed the hoer-wege upgraded power supply...no issues. By far the most natural, holographic soundstage i have ever heard. This upgrade surpasses my highest expectations...and by far the purist sound my Auralic Aries G2.1 has sounded...like a gift from above, this is a no brainer, power is the master of all audio and Stephan is a guru! So excited with this upgrade..
re: void warranty? Never used one in 20 years, don't miss out on this upgrade.
@Betzy , I am a bit lost on the site, What is the price for the upgrade? 540 or 590Euro? Do we need to return back/swap back the base unit?
Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,301 of 2,392
Hi
Is an Auralic Vega N7 still a recommended used purchase?
Any experiences here?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,302 of 2,392
I am not familiar with the N7 designation. If you are referring to the Vega DAC(see picture) then yes it is a fine piece of equipment. I owned one for several years. Dan Clark used to use one for demonstrations. I believe you could probably find one in the US for $1200-1500. Not aware of the market in Europe. If you can get one for a decent price I would very much recommend it.

1627137118890.png

Jul 24, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #2,303 of 2,392
I am not familiar with the N7 designation. If you are referring to the Vega DAC(see picture) then yes it is a fine piece of equipment. I owned one for several years. Dan Clark used to use one for demonstrations. I believe you could probably find one in the US for $1200-1500. Not aware of the market in Europe. If you can get one for a decent price I would very much recommend it.

yep, that's the one.
could get one for around 1100 Eur.
just a tad hesitant as I prefer more musical warm smooth sound signature which isn't so much what used to be regarded as best in class reference signature such as typical Sabre DACs delivered.
Interested if N7 will fall into the same signature category.

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #2,304 of 2,392
Jul 24, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2,305 of 2,392
as you might have seen I yet have the Pontus II which should be an upgrade to ARES II - but, guess what, It's not to my liking.
I am coming from DAPs, started with DX220 Max which is still for me the reference for dynamics, resolution while not sounding reference sterile but having nice kick bass and unrivalled holography within DAPs scene.
My signature is Shanling M8, warm, smooth, musical - maybe not natural?
Pontus II was for me too bright and into-the-face even after 3,5 weeks burn in and amp rolling...
Potentially M30 is my way to go but there are so many bugs reported and price-value-ratio is questionable still

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2,306 of 2,392
I did not find the Vega signature to be harsh or have a Sabre "glare" When I purchased mine I was comparing the Vega to a Yggdrasil and found the Vega to be warmer and smoother. I went with the Vega.

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #2,307 of 2,392
just now just listening to my handheld DAP M8 connected to either Cayin C9 for IEMs or a bigger Flux-FA-10 though XLR to 4.4mm interconnect to my Denon AH-D9200
Sounds ideal to me but how does it look like? - like an awful temporary measure plus it's double amping ...

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #2,308 of 2,392
as you might have seen I yet have the Pontus II which should be an upgrade to ARES II - but, guess what, It's not to my liking.
I am coming from DAPs, started with DX220 Max which is still for me the reference for dynamics, resolution while not sounding reference sterile but having nice kick bass and unrivalled holography within DAPs scene.
My signature is Shanling M8, warm, smooth, musical - maybe not natural?
Pontus II was for me too bright and into-the-face even after 3,5 weeks burn in and amp rolling...
Potentially M30 is my way to go but there are so many bugs reported and price-value-ratio is questionable still
if you haven’t already come across this might be worth reading for one person’s opinion

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/auralic5/1.html

Jan 3, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #2,310 of 2,392
i’ve been using my aries g2.1 with metrum hex dac with 4v xlr outputs.

i just received my holo audio dac with 5.8 v xlr outputs.

when i plugged the aries into the dac i found the volume level had decreased.

when looking at why i found the aries was still showing 100 volume but it was no longer adjustable.

i then used the lds software to disable and enable hardware volune setting and that solved the issue of low volume and not being able to adjust aries volume (which I don’t).

when i plugged in this dac with the higher output it appears the aries volume adjustment dropped to (say 50%), froze and still showed volume at 100%.

Anyone know if this is a protective element of the aries or did it just “have an attack”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back