AURALiC owners unite!
Jan 4, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #2,311 of 2,392
i’ve been using my aries g2.1 with metrum hex dac with 4v xlr outputs.

i just received my holo audio dac with 5.8 v xlr outputs.

when i plugged the aries into the dac i found the volume level had decreased.

when looking at why i found the aries was still showing 100 volume but it was no longer adjustable.

i then used the lds software to disable and enable hardware volune setting and that solved the issue of low volume and not being able to adjust aries volume (which I don’t).

when i plugged in this dac with the higher output it appears the aries volume adjustment dropped to (say 50%), froze and still showed volume at 100%.

Anyone know if this is a protective element of the aries or did it just “have an attack”
Aries is conected to DAC input, it has nothing to do with output voltage of DAC. It is definitely issue with Aries alone, wrong settings or some software bug. What connection do you use?

Jan 4, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #2,312 of 2,392
Aries is conected to DAC input, it has nothing to do with output voltage of DAC. It is definitely issue with Aries alone, wrong settings or some software bug. What connection do you use?
Yeah - i realises that after posting

usb connection used.

i’m guessing it’s a software bug or the aries does not liked being unplugged from one unit to the other if the aries is not switched off.

i found the same at times with the aries and a power driver ext hdd - ie i need to connect the hdd before i turn the aries on or it often freezes (from memory).

just one (other) of those comprises of the aries g2

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #2,314 of 2,392
So, I just plugged in my auralic taurus mk2 that I bought, and when I turned it on all I'm getting is a crackling noise, and it wont play anything.

It came in pretty cold from the weather so I'm hoping it just needs time to warm up - do you guys think it will fix itself, or am I screwed? It has the correct voltage (120v) and it is the MK2. Any ideas on what to do to troubleshoot?

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,316 of 2,392
Alright - was able to get it running (had the dac set up wrong), but I do still have some crackling problems. The crackling problems are present even when not connected to anything, and it stays the same volume regardless of how much I turn it up.

I'm thinking it's just emi interference, which I'm surprised about as I've heard a lot about how this amp is supposed to be resistant to that. I can get the crackling to fade and change volume just based off of where I put my hands around it

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #2,317 of 2,392
Another thing of note is that the crackling changes it's positioning and loudness depending on where the volume knob is, even if nothing is playing

Feb 26, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #2,319 of 2,392
No improvements heard after messing with volume.

Alright.. So yeah been messing with it for a bit now. I managed to find a stray extension cord that wasn't plugged into anything, and after removing that the noise reduced dramatically, but is still very present.

Currently, there is still a small hum and crackling noise which gets louder as I turn the amp up. Seems much more consistent, at least, but even when I decided to attach it to an extension cord and walk around the room with it the noise/crackling was still audible so I'm having trouble finding any other causes.. There is also a humming noise that I hear once I plug it into my fostex hpa8 as a dac - but that could always be my dac's fault, or wiring although I doubt it.

I really just want to figure out if this is normal for the amp or not. My fostex hpa8 has had absolutely zero issues with noise/humming, even with the power cord that was unplugged.

I am using a pretty efficient headphone currently (fostex th900). I also tried using my dt770 80 ohms, and the noise/hum was much quieter, but still audible, especially as I turn the volume knob up. I bought this for my abyss 1266 tc which is coming in a couple of days, and I'm hoping the high impedance will get rid of the noise, effectively. Do any owners of this amp have issues with noise/humming/crackling with efficient headphones?

Feb 26, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #2,321 of 2,392
Alright - I gave the amp some time to warm up, and the noise has reduce dramatically. The hum is gone, and the noise is audible but quiet enough. I bought the amp for my much less sensitive abyss 1266 phi tc that’s coming in anyways, and I feel pretty certain there won’t be audible noise on them.

And now that my initial scare is gone….

God damn this amp sounds good. Never have I heard my th900’s as agile, smooth, or expansive. A very detailed sound without being bright, very neutral across the board.

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #2,322 of 2,392
This sounds like ground loop issue, what do you use as a source? Is crackling still present if you disconnect it from DAC, move to different separate from other equipment outlet?
For the record mine in dead quiet, even at max volume with sensitive IEMs (with no music playing of course :))

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2,323 of 2,392
This sounds like ground loop issue, what do you use as a source? Is crackling still present if you disconnect it from DAC, move to different separate from other equipment outlet?
For the record mine in dead quiet, even at max volume with sensitive IEMs (with no music playing of course :))
Oh wow, mayyybe something is wrong then. Whatever it is, it isn't bugging me too much at this point, though I would love to get rid of it if I could.

And yes - the crackling is present even without any rca cables plugged in (although it DOES decrease when they are removed), and plugging the amp in all the way across the room using an extension cord. I'll try moving some plugs around, and maybe a different room to see if I notice any other changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back