AURALiC owners unite!
Sep 9, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #1,831 of 2,392
I'm actually quite happy with my Raspberry pi (2) and HifiBerry Digi+ streaming solution to my DAC. Installed Volumio on it's and a perfect streaming solution that keeps getting better with every release.

It's also dirt cheap compared to everything else that is on offer. And having been bitten by those fancy mediastreaming solutions in the past I've opted for the DIY solution. Which works a whole lot better I must say

I know nothing a Linux. From what I have seen of the Raspberry is that it takes a lot of custom programming, building and soldering to get it working.

I have little or no understanding of computer science.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #1,832 of 2,392
I know nothing a Linux. From what I have seen of the Raspberry is that it takes a lot of custom programming, building and soldering to get it working.

I have little or no understanding of computer science.

Ah, no troubles there!

The arduino platform indeed needs a lot of tinkering. Raspberry is rather plug and play, it has a 40 pin connector pre-installed that accepts a lot of HAT (Hardware On Top) modules without any soldering.

Some shops even sell it as a complete kit: https://www.sossolutions.nl/hifiberry-kit-868

And if you can't find a complete kit, the install instructions for Volumio are rather easy: https://volumio.org/get-started

Heck, if you run into trouble installing it I'd be more then willing to help you out via PM

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,833 of 2,392
My Mk2 is now with Auralic. It's def a Mk2 as I've gone back and forth with Xianquan setting up an RMA. They received it Wednesday and said they'd have it inspected withing 3 working days.

According to Xianquan, worst case scenario if they have to replace the whole unit the service fee will be 25% of retail price. Seems reasonable enough for me.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #1,834 of 2,392
Update from my RMA. They took 3 days to diagnose my Mk2. The unit's main power supply is blown and needs to be replaced and they gave me two options.

1) They could have the parts needed shipped from China to their service center in the US, would take about a month for it to arrive and service to be completed. The total cost to me would be $200, inclusive of shipping back to me.

2) They could give me a replacement demo unit that they had only used at a trade show. That would cost $500, inclusive of shipping back to me and it can be sent out within two days.

Being impatient and rather having a unit that has never failed than one that has and then been repaired I'm opting for option two. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the RMA options presented. By no means is it pocket change but for an out of warranty servicing I've seen much worse. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #1,835 of 2,392
  Update from my RMA. They took 3 days to diagnose my Mk2. The unit's main power supply is blown and needs to be replaced and they gave me two options.

1) They could have the parts needed shipped from China to their service center in the US, would take about a month for it to arrive and service to be completed. The total cost to me would be $200, inclusive of shipping back to me.

2) They could give me a replacement demo unit that they had only used at a trade show. That would cost $500, inclusive of shipping back to me and it can be sent out within two days.

Being impatient and rather having a unit that has never failed than one that has and then been repaired I'm opting for option two. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the RMA options presented. By no means is it pocket change but for an out of warranty servicing I've seen much worse. 

Thanks for the update, I'm sending mine too, now with much more confidence. Did they tell you if there will be the warranty on the demo unit?

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #1,838 of 2,392
New member to the AURALiC Club with a Tauras Mk2 Headphone Amp.

Just getting to grips with what Headphone connections work better as either  Balanced or single ended. ( IMHO)

So far 

PS1000      SE

LCD -XC    SE

HD 800     BAL

AT W5000  BAL but only have that option anyway so undecided

Beyer T! V2  BAL 

Yet to try my Denon AD7100   Hifiman HE550 and   Meze 99 Classics

Anyone else tried combinations ??

Seems BAL for Higher impedance and SE for lower to match Amp delivery Characteristics and therefore current ability

Really amazing Amp and can get the best out of many Phones with right connection I feel.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #1,839 of 2,392
Hi all, new Vega owner here, just brought a demo unit to my home and it never left...! :wink:
Finding a replace for my "old" Rega DAC was a quest that took me 2 years... Many DACs were demo in my system: Primare DAC30 ( my favourit after the Vega), Linn Majik DSM, Naim V1 DAC, Naim Unitiqute, Chord Hugo, Chord Qute HD, Hegel HD12, Burmester 113DAC, and some others not so significant.
The Vega is a digital Wizard, by FAR the best DAC i've ever heard, i just want to stay at home and hear all my music collection through this thing! I just can't have enough....

Mr Xuanqian Wang commented on "Audio Stream" review in the "Manufacturer's Comment" regarding the remote:

"For the remote control as you have criticized in your review, we have already received a few complains during the CES 2013 as it is too 'plastic', the demand for a better remote control is unexpected. We have already started to design an optional luxury remote control cutting from a whole piece of aluminum to satisfy our customers.
I've searched online but with no results, did AURALIC produced this remote? Any of you knows anything...?

My last question, any of you are running XLR cables into the amp? What are the difference to rca cables?

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #1,840 of 2,392
I have two RCA sources and I'd love to be able to connect both of them to the Taurus at the same time.  I could get Cardas adapters or I could have my cables reterminated to XLR on one end only.  Has anyone tried this?

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,841 of 2,392
Got my replacement demo Mk2 today, Working beautifully and thus comes to an end my RMA process. Worked out roughly to exactly two weeks.

9/6 - SHipped to them
9/7 - Received by Auralic NA (DE location)
9/12 - Issue was diagnosed and repair options were given
9/14 - Replacement unit shipped from CA
9/20 - Received

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #1,842 of 2,392
What is the general consensus on the Altair? Looking for something to pair with the MKII for listening, streaming is a big plus to appease the wife. Other option i'm looking at is the Sony HAPZ1ES.

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,843 of 2,392
What is the general consensus on the Altair? Looking for something to pair with the MKII for listening, streaming is a big plus to appease the wife. Other option i'm looking at is the Sony HAPZ1ES.

Thanks!
i have one and I love it. Very convenient. I have my lossless files on a NAS drive and use AirPlay for Apple Music from my iPhone. Awesome to control everything from an iDevice and not need to have a computer on all the time. As far as the sound quality, sounds great to me, but I wouldn't say I have golden ears or anything.

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,844 of 2,392
I have an Altair as well and loving it. At first, I was overwhelmed by the options coming from a SD card player (QLS 660), but now really liking the ipad interface using the LightingDS app. I have a 6TB self-powered hard drive connected directly to the Altair, and it has been running flawlessly once my large music directory was scanned (took about an hour). 

As a streamer, I have been using the USB out to an Audio-GD (AGD) DI-DSP to an AGD Master 7, and find the QLS to be a better transport.  The music is a bit subdued out of the Altair USB out, whereas the QLS to M7 has more of a "toe tapping" musicality. However, please note that the difference may be largely due to my DI-DSP versus the Altair. When I get chance, I want to try out the new X-MOS based SU-1 DDC to see if there are any improvements.

As a DAC, the Altair sounds more transparent, separation of sounds, and 3-D (i.e., depth layering) than the Master 7 on redbook files. However, I find the Master 7 to have a lusher, smoother and more natural midrange and find myself more emotionally moved by the music compared to Altair. This was also the case when I compared the Master 7 with a Yggdrasil, so my impressions are definitely a matter of preference. Pairing the Altair with a tube amp, however, got me the midrange magic (WA WES, WA WA-5), whereas the Altair had a bit of digital grain and dryness on my SS amp (AGD Master 8).

With that said, the DSD and Hi-Res playback on the Altair is effortless. I wasn't too impressed when I experimented with DSD over PCM in the past (i.e., couldn't really tell the difference) but the DSD playback on Altair sounds amazing. Its bringing a new level of realism to the music. I just wish I had DSD tracks of my favorite artists.

@CANiSLAYu, I see that you had owned a Auralic Vega in past. Do you have any impressions of SQ between the Altair and Vega? Also, have you had chance to compare NAS input versus USB hard drive input for your lossless files?

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,845 of 2,392
Personally I couldn't tell much of a difference between the two, but factor in I didn't A/B them (sold the Vega to get the Altair) and like I said I don't have golden ears by any stretch of the imagination. For example I can't tell any appreciable difference between a lossless 16/44 file and a 24/96 file, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. It was definitely more about the technology and ease of use for me versus the last bit of performance. I also really wanted to untether from a computer.

I've only used it with a NAS. I intended to install an internal SSD, which based on the early press releases I read implied it could be user installed, but to my surprised upon unboxing the end user isn't able to do it. There aren't any screws! Then I found this upon searching: http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/222582088-Can-I-install-hard-drive-into-ALTAIR-by-myself-

According to Altair the NAS or internal disk drive are the best options because of the current draw from an external USB drive: http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/206602787-Is-there-any-sound-quality-difference-between-USB-NAS-and-internal-storage-

So I just stuck with the NAS I already had and never looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back