AURALiC owners unite!
Dec 12, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,621 of 2,392
With HE6 around 12 to 1 o clock

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,622 of 2,392
Are you using balanced connections between the gumby and Taurus? I read that the balanced output from the gumby is 6bB higher than SE. So you may not need that much gain from the Taurus with high efficient phones.

If you use the Taurus to drive HE 6, you might find you often need to turn the volume to 2~3 o'clock.

Yes all balanced from source to headphones. But it's the same also with my m51 at 0db. Apparently the he6 is the only headphone that can benefit from all this gain... I don't know why but I see it as a waste

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,624 of 2,392
It is by no means a waste. It is great to have plenty of headroom for large dynamic swings with little distortion.

Agreed on the headroom, but I do think the gain could be lower to enable smoother volume tracking. Often times the difference between "too quiet" and "too loud!" are just a fraction of an inch. Finding "just right" takes some work.  

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #1,625 of 2,392
Agreed on the headroom, but I do think the gain could be lower to enable smoother volume tracking. Often times the difference between "too quiet" and "too loud!" are just a fraction of an inch. Finding "just right" takes some work.  

Same thought here, and since auralic don't have an option for a stepped attenuator, the imbalance issue of pots in lower range will always be a problem

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #1,626 of 2,392
Their implementation doesn't have imbalance in the lower range, at least none that I've noticed. And yes most of the time, unless the source content is really quiet, I don't even turn it past 10 feeding it from my Vega. I've tried it from my RWA Bellina though the 12 o clock position is useful since turning it up all the way on the Bellina brings up some background noise. So lower half on the Bellina and mid way on the Taurus is cool. I could bypass the Taurus altogether but I like to switch between the two DACs for their different flavors.

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,627 of 2,392
Their implementation doesn't have imbalance in the lower range, at least none that I've noticed. And yes most of the time, unless the source content is really quiet, I don't even turn it past 10 feeding it from my Vega. I've tried it from my RWA Bellina though the 12 o clock position is useful since turning it up all the way on the Bellina brings up some background noise. So lower half on the Bellina and mid way on the Taurus is cool. I could bypass the Taurus altogether but I like to switch between the two DACs for their different flavors.

I did hear slight imbalance with HE500 in the 8:30 range of the knob which I liked to listen in long sections. It's very slightly imbalance though, which I think can't be eliminated with even high quality ALPS blue pots. sadly I emailed Auralic once that are there any possibility to replace it with either stepped attenuator or ALPS black pot and the reply was a no.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great amp which I didn't regret to buy, only in balance mode I have to always turn the volume of my Audio gd DAC down a bit in software cause a minor inconvinence

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #1,628 of 2,392
Agreed on the headroom, but I do think the gain could be lower to enable smoother volume tracking. Often times the difference between "too quiet" and "too loud!" are just a fraction of an inch. Finding "just right"

That! Even my old Hdva600 was afflicted with channel imbalance at low volume, but was completely silent when the pot was at minimum, and I could go up to 12.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,629 of 2,392
That's interesting I'll have to test it out.  Though I think we all agree that it's a nice piece of kit with probably way too much power. Maybe listening through the single ended outputs will help curb it some?  I'm such a balanced output fiend that I can't imagine myself doing that LOL.  

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,630 of 2,392
  That's interesting I'll have to test it out.  Though I think we all agree that it's a nice piece of kit with probably way too much power. Maybe listening through the single ended outputs will help curb it some?  I'm such a balanced output fiend that I can't imagine myself doing that LOL.  

with the better imaging and soundstage from balanced outputs I have been hearing I don't think I will use the single ended either, the current solution is using the Audio Gd NFB1 DAC in less then 100% digital volume.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,631 of 2,392
  with the better imaging and soundstage from balanced outputs I have been hearing I don't think I will use the single ended either, the current solution is using the Audio Gd NFB1 DAC in less then 100% digital volume.

Yeah digital volume has come a long way.  Often I got lazy since it's my living room setup, and I just use the Vega as the volume control since it has a remote.  It still sounds very nice!  

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,632 of 2,392
Hey, anyone encountered a sleep bug on their Vega? I've been getting occasional drop-outs on the USB that require me to turn the unit off & on again to get it to recconnect. I tried this last night & it won't come back on out of sleep. It just says the usual Sleep? message with yes/no options but it won't let me select no. Yes is the only thing that works & i can't get the DAC to turn on. Effectively making it useless. I've tried turning it off for hours & even unplugging it over night. Same thing as soon as I turn it on.. Any suggestions?

Quick pic of what I mean:

I'm using the Hugo instead ATM but I'd really like to get this sorted if I can...

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #1,633 of 2,392
  Hey, anyone encountered a sleep bug on their Vega? I've been getting occasional drop-outs on the USB that require me to turn the unit off & on again to get it to recconnect. I tried this last night & it won't come back on out of sleep. It just says the usual Sleep? message with yes/no options but it won't let me select no. Yes is the only thing that works & i can't get the DAC to turn on. Effectively making it useless. I've tried turning it off for hours & even unplugging it over night. Same thing as soon as I turn it on.. Any suggestions?

Quick pic of what I mean:

I'm using the Hugo instead ATM but I'd really like to get this sorted if I can...

Yuk, never seen that one. Have you tried using the remote vs. the button on the unit? I assume you have tried. If your version is an older Vega, might be a good time to send it for the DSD256 update although you will be without your unit for 2 months.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #1,634 of 2,392
Yuk, never seen that one. Have you tried using the remote vs. the button on the unit? I assume you have tried. If your version is an older Vega, might be a good time to send it for the DSD256 update although you will be without your unit for 2 months.

Didn't know there was an update out for the Vega. Do anyone have any more info on this?

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #1,635 of 2,392
Didn't know there was an update out for the Vega. Do anyone have any more info on this?

The older versions 1.2 hardware? I will have to check...can get a free update. Not sure if that offer still stands, but Auralic helped me ship out of my country (typically electronics can't be mailed out) but now I have two wait 2 months, or so I was just told.

I will PM you direct POC now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back