AURALiC owners unite!
Aug 28, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #886 of 2,392
  Just got my Taurus MkII this afternoon :)

This thing is frickin sweet.

If you are also looking to upgrade your DAC, it pairs beautifully with the Auralic Vega. Not a cheap purchase, but a delicious pairing
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #887 of 2,392
If you are lucky you can get a Vega for fair price in the sale forum :)

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #888 of 2,392
  If you are lucky you can get a Vega for fair price in the sale forum :)

It's sad people are selling their Vega...

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #890 of 2,392

Generally it's for a TotalDac Dual (I often listen this dac and he's quite amazing but it's 12k€) or Lampizator (never tryed but they have a significant hype actually)

I will go in Poland for Tellement Nomade in october/november to write an interview/report of Piotr from Custom Art and Matthew from Forza Audioworks. I will try to meet the creator of lampizator and listen some of his dac when I will be there.

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #891 of 2,392

Generally it's for a TotalDac Dual (I often listen this dac and he's quite amazing but it's 12k€) or Lampizator (never tryed but they have a significant hype actually)

I will go in Poland for Tellement Nomade in october/november to write an interview/report of Piotr from Custom Art and Matthew from Forza Audioworks. I will try to meet the creator of lampizator and listen some of his dac when I will be there.

Wow - I can only dream of dropping 12,000 EUR on a DAC. If you put all of my headfi gear into a pile (amps + DACs + headphones + tubes) it would come to something around 12,000 EUR.

The Vega was a stretch for me budget-wise and I'm delighted with it. Great DAC for the price
happy_face1.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #892 of 2,392

Wow - I can only dream of dropping 12,000 EUR on a DAC. If you put all of my headfi gear into a pile (amps + DACs + headphones + tubes) it would come to something around 12,000 EUR.

The Vega was a stretch for me budget-wise and I'm delighted with it. Great DAC for the price
happy_face1.gif

Me too but it's definitly nice to have several friend who pull the trigger on this beauty!

Vega is definitly one of the most interesting high-end dac, even more if you consider the price. I also have to try a Metrum Hex.

No news from Aries owner?

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #893 of 2,392

Me too but it's definitly nice to have several friend who pull the trigger on this beauty!

Vega is definitly one of the most interesting high-end dac, even more if you consider the price. I also have to try a Metrum Hex.

No news from Aries owner?

My friends think I'm crazy for spending 1200 USD on a set of 300B tubes. If I dropped 12,000 EUR on a DAC they would have me committed to an asylum
blink.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #894 of 2,392

My friends think I'm crazy for spending 1200 USD on a set of 300B tubes. If I dropped 12,000 EUR on a DAC they would have me committed to an asylum
blink.gif

They will probably gift you a "tutelage"
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #895 of 2,392

If you are also looking to upgrade your DAC, it pairs beautifully with the Auralic Vega. Not a cheap purchase, but a delicious pairing
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure the Vega is an excellent piece of kit but I don't think I'm quite ready to invest that much in a DAC. Maybe one day, but for now I'm pretty happy with my current D100.

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #896 of 2,392

Is there some dissatisfaction with the Vega? I love mine. No intention of selling or changing.

That's the problem, that there is no reason to sell, I'm happy with the Vega :)
I said what I said because people are selling theirs... lol

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #897 of 2,392
  Only spent an afternoon comparing Lau and Taurus, I don't think it's really revelant (I will try to convice my friend to let me spend a week with his Taurus).

I used LCD3 (without fazor), T1, TH900 and Alpha Dog.

We have two different way to present music : Taurus is more laidback and Lau more frontal with more precise layer and separation (dimension of the soundstage are really close). Both have a airy soundstage and the Lau add more density and weight to the sound (I definitly more acoustic pressure).

Two differents signature : Taurus sound's like a SS amp with a little extra of warm, really balance tone. I just find the uppermids section a bit unatural with some timbres. Lau is sounding like neutral tube amp (definitly close to Eddie Current product like S7 or BA sound sig), really natural, organic and musical with all the strengh of SS amp (speed, tension, detail).

Dynamics & speed : The Lau have a bit more micro dynamics, speed & kick.

For me, the Taurus is the natural upgrade for a guy who liked Schiit Mjolnir (same type of soundsig and way to present music).

Alpha dog match better with Taurus, The Lau is too dynamic and frontal for this cans (it's tiring after 30 min of listening).

LCD3 ad T1 sound's better on the Lau. I think the Lau can be the target for people who only own planar headphones (I really enjoy He-6, LCD-2 and he-560 on this amp).

I didn't find TH900 impressive on the Taurus, close to be a bit agressive, on the same price tag, EC Super 7 is more capable despite it lack of tension in the bass section (in comparison of the Taurus). With the Lau, I have a tiny background noise and I'm really sensitive... The best match I found for the TH900 was an EC Balancing Act.

I'm currently waiting for an EC 4-45 for driving my TH900 and LCD3, I will see if it's a better solution for my two favorite cans

I am the friend in question.
The Lau is fantastic amp with my lcd 3...

This week  I  will receive an Eddie Current Super 7.
I can  make comparisons with the taurus.

And I will tell you the winner.

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #899 of 2,392

So would the Taurus drive the LCD-X well? It has impedance of 22 ohms IIRC. The Taurus amp may be a little better suited to the LCD 3(f) with its higher impedance if I am reading this correctly for balance mode? Which is what I generally prefer to use.

Been trying out the LCD-X on Taurus and it is great, especially in balanced mode. Gotta be careful with the volume knob, though.  

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #900 of 2,392

Been trying out the LCD-X on Taurus and it is great, especially in balanced mode. Gotta be careful with the volume knob, though.

+1. Great pairing.

Taurus is a beefy amp - almost, but not quite, enough juice to bring out the best the HE6 has to offer. Does a fantastic job with the LCD-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back