AURALiC owners unite!
Aug 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #871 of 2,392
I just get my Lau back today and I tried it with the Vega for the first time, It was really impressive.

I spent the afternoon to compare the Taurus MKII and the Lau on the Vega, two different signatures and different way to present music. Vega with Lau was one of the best combo I tried with LCD3 (even against EC Balancing Act + Total Dac Dual), so much energy and synergy! You have to try it during a meeting if you can :)

I previously owned Ark MX+ and I compare it to the Vega. The sound signature was really close but the Vega give much more weight/density in the bass and medium section. Ark MX+ are more laidback and the Vega is really precise and realistic in the different layer of the soundstage. Really impressive.

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #872 of 2,392
I spent the afternoon to compare the Taurus MKII and the Lau on the Vega, two different signatures and different way to present music. Vega with Lau was one of the best combo I tried with LCD3 (even against EC Balancing Act + Total Dac Dual), so much energy and synergy! You have to try it during a meeting if you can :)

So how did the Taurus compare to the LAu?

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #873 of 2,392
So how did the Taurus compare to the LAu?

+1. Inquiring minds would like to know...
smile.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #874 of 2,392
Only spent an afternoon comparing Lau and Taurus, I don't think it's really revelant (I will try to convice my friend to let me spend a week with his Taurus).

I used LCD3 (without fazor), T1, TH900 and Alpha Dog.

We have two different way to present music : Taurus is more laidback and Lau more frontal with more precise layer and separation (dimension of the soundstage are really close). Both have a airy soundstage and the Lau add more density and weight to the sound (I definitly more acoustic pressure).

Two differents signature : Taurus sound's like a SS amp with a little extra of warm, really balance tone. I just find the uppermids section a bit unatural with some timbres. Lau is sounding like neutral tube amp (definitly close to Eddie Current product like S7 or BA sound sig), really natural, organic and musical with all the strengh of SS amp (speed, tension, detail).

Dynamics & speed : The Lau have a bit more micro dynamics, speed & kick.

For me, the Taurus is the natural upgrade for a guy who liked Schiit Mjolnir (same type of soundsig and way to present music).

Alpha dog match better with Taurus, The Lau is too dynamic and frontal for this cans (it's tiring after 30 min of listening).

LCD3 ad T1 sound's better on the Lau. I think the Lau can be the target for people who only own planar headphones (I really enjoy He-6, LCD-2 and he-560 on this amp).

I didn't find TH900 impressive on the Taurus, close to be a bit agressive, on the same price tag, EC Super 7 is more capable despite it lack of tension in the bass section (in comparison of the Taurus). With the Lau, I have a tiny background noise and I'm really sensitive... The best match I found for the TH900 was an EC Balancing Act.

I'm currently waiting for an EC 4-45 for driving my TH900 and LCD3, I will see if it's a better solution for my two favorite cans

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #876 of 2,392

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you asking which headphones you should try next? Honestly the Audeze and HD800 sounds are completely different, so it's up to you which type you might prefer. Audeze is more thick and rich, while HD800 is analytical, and either thin/bright or perfectly neutral depending on your outlook.

Taurus drives most anything pretty well. Don't go strictly by the power ratings either, because a lot of people prefer balanced mode with low impedance planars, despite having less current than standard mode. 

Thanks for your input! haha 

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #877 of 2,392
  I'm officially allowed to post in this thread!

Burning in now. Whats the consensus on burn in time? 100 hours? 200 hours? 1000 hours? 

I guess it will take about 350-500 hours for it to fully burn in. 
In the mean time, just enjoy the music! 

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #879 of 2,392
I'm officially allowed to post in this thread!

Burning in now. Whats the consensus on burn in time? 100 hours? 200 hours? 1000 hours? 

Would be interested to know what you make of different DACs feeding the Taurus so as to evaluate the Vega

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #880 of 2,392
  I guess it will take about 350-500 hours for it to fully burn in. 
In the mean time, just enjoy the music! 

I plan to! :D

My Taurus was bright for the first 100 to 150 hours.

Good to know.
Would be interested to know what you make of different DACs feeding the Taurus so as to evaluate the Vega

I'll give it some burn in time & then try some other set ups.

Definitely a promising combo already though.

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #881 of 2,392

I plan to! :D

Good to know.

I'll give it some burn in time & then try some other set ups.

Definitely a promising combo already though.

Tasurus seems to give very good 'bang for the buck'. I am very happy with mine. The only reason I don't listen to it more often is that I am having tremendous fun playing with my new and shiny WA5 - something about those tubes draws me in every time.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #882 of 2,392
  If LCD-X i too neutral, have you tried the LCD-3? I actually like the new Fazor version better than the LCD-X and definitely better than the original LCD-3. It's worth a shot if you've never tried it, or if you've only tried the pre-Fazor version. 

project - how do you find the pairing of the LCD-3 Fazor and Taurus mkII? seems most folks agree that the Taurus is on the slightly warm/ or dark (adjective used depends on who's posting) side of neutral, which makes me hesitant about pairing it with LCDs. I currently have the LCD v2.2 (pre-fazor) and am itching to upgrade cans and/or amp. On the cans side, I can either have Audeze upgrade my LCD v2.2s to Fazor tech or just get the LCD-3s with Fazor (which I'm currently leaning towards towards). Either way, the Taurus is very appealing to me as a reference quality amp at a reasonable price. Just worried if there could be a better sonic match out there for the LCD-3 Fazors at a similar price point.

BTW, my current DAC is a Yulong DA8 (which I'd rather not have to change) 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #883 of 2,392
  project - how do you find the pairing of the LCD-3 Fazor and Taurus mkII? seems most folks agree that the Taurus is on the slightly warm/ or dark (adjective used depends on who's posting) side of neutral, which makes me hesitant about pairing it with LCDs. I currently have the LCD v2.2 (pre-fazor) and am itching to upgrade cans and/or amp. On the cans side, I can either have Audeze upgrade my LCD v2.2s to Fazor tech or just get the LCD-3s with Fazor (which I'm currently leaning towards towards). Either way, the Taurus is very appealing to me as a reference quality amp at a reasonable price. Just worried if there could be a better sonic match out there for the LCD-3 Fazors at a similar price point.

BTW, my current DAC is a Yulong DA8 (which I'd rather not have to change) 
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the combo a lot. LCD-3F plus Taurus equals excellent sound. The dual mono Questyle setup is really the only thing that clearly beats it - and even then, the margin is not huge. The monoblocks win partially because they have a slightly more lit up top end, which tends to match the Audeze house sound a bit better. Jury still out on the Violectric V281 though. 

And yes, DA8 pairs well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back