AURALiC owners unite!
Aug 16, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #856 of 2,392
Hey,

I just ordered an Taurus mk2/Vega combo. I have an LCD3 & a T1 ATM, I'm looking to offload the T1 & replace it with something as its not really to my taste. What can would be better suited to pair with the Auralic combo do you guys think?

I've had the HD800 before but only an initial release version so would that be a good option? Or something else? TH900?

Cheers...

The TH900 sounds wonderful on the Taurus!

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #858 of 2,392

Looks like the highlighted number is one zero short.
Note that at all other impedances the BAL output is about 4x the SE. The amp doesn't just reconfigure itself depending on what is plugged in and for some mystical reason shuts down 3 of its four amps and throttles the fourth one to 1/3 of its power when low impedance headphones are plugged in. 

It doesn't reconfigure itself or shut down portions - it's just a matter of how each output performs, where it has peak voltage swing versus output current. BAL out seems to deliver most current into 120 ohm loads. Which is interesting because the new(ish) LCD-3 Fazor is rated at 110 ohms. Back when Taurus first came out, all the planar models were low impedance, so this is a happy coincidence.

How it works - there are basically four amp sections if you will. STD mode has each channel driven by a pair of amps in parallel configuration. Result? More output current into lower impedance loads, less voltage swing. BAL mode uses a bridge-tied load configuration which results in much higher voltage swings but less output current at low impedance. That's why we get subtle differences between BAL and STD outputs in terms of flavor. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #861 of 2,392
  I just went to Auralic website for Taurus spec.

I am looking at the Auralic Taurus Specification and noticed that at 32ohm the balance mode outputs only 1200mw.
Is this the right spec ? or typo ? (Shouldn't be more than 4500mw ?)

Output Power (continuous in RMS)
 ​
STD Mode​
BAL Mode​
32ohm​
4500mW​
1200mW
120ohm​
1200mW​
4500mW​
300ohm​
500mW​
2000mW​
600ohm​
250mW​
1000mW​

This is because the Taurus uses current limiting to avoid the output to become dangerous for the amp, headphones and the listener. 

Regardless of that chart, the power hungry HE6 sounds better in balanced mode, so I suspect the current limiting is done in a way that primarily affects continuous RMS, or at least gives plenty of room for short term voltage swing (no idea how, though) I also find the Taurus better than the 8 Watt Mjolnir for HE-6, along with several speaker amps. So don't let that number scare you off ,)

Here's from an email from Auralic
"The power in chart are continous RMS.
For your first question, there are four output sections in each Taurus amp. In STD mode, each two of them are in parallel driving one channel. It will well suite low impedance as the output current is plenty but the output power driving high impedance is limited by maximum swing voltage. In BAL mode, two section are in bridged connection(BTL), it will offering 2x maximum swing voltage so the output  power at high impedance is four times higher, but at low impedance, since each section is bear half load which equal to 16ohm, the output is limited by output current.  I hope this will help.
Best regards"

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #862 of 2,392

This is because the Taurus uses current limiting to avoid the output to become dangerous for the amp, headphones and the listener. 

Regardless of that chart, the power hungry HE6 sounds better in balanced mode, so I suspect the current limiting is done in a way that primarily affects continuous RMS, or at least gives plenty of room for short term voltage swing (no idea how, though) I also find the Taurus better than the 8 Watt Mjolnir for HE-6, along with several speaker amps. So don't let that number scare you off ,)

Here's from an email from Auralic
"The power in chart are continous RMS.
For your first question, there are four output sections in each Taurus amp. In STD mode, each two of them are in parallel driving one channel. It will well suite low impedance as the output current is plenty but the output power driving high impedance is limited by maximum swing voltage. In BAL mode, two section are in bridged connection(BTL), it will offering 2x maximum swing voltage so the output  power at high impedance is four times higher, but at low impedance, since each section is bear half load which equal to 16ohm, the output is limited by output current.  I hope this will help.
Best regards"

Thanks for the info, where about your volume knob with HE6 ? With my Oppo or Burson I put the volume knob about 3-4 o'clock

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #864 of 2,392
11-12 oclock. I tried Burson Conductor and liked it quite a lot, but for the HE6, Taurus is in a totally different league.

That is pretty powerful. :)
How about the conductor volum control?

Thks in adv.

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #865 of 2,392
About 3 AM, if I remember correctly. HE6 sounded underpowered to me on the Conductor, even if the volume was there. Unlike the V200, which is quite good with HE6, even if you have to turn up the volume button quite a bit. But again, the potentiometer-o'clock-test isn't always telling the whole story.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #866 of 2,392
About 3 AM, if I remember correctly. HE6 sounded underpowered to me on the Conductor, even if the volume was there. Unlike the V200, which is quite good with HE6, even if you have to turn up the volume button quite a bit. But again, the potentiometer-o'clock-test isn't always telling the whole story.

I tried the HE-6 with the Conductor and did not like it. Prefer the Auralic though

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #867 of 2,392
Which headphones to go from the HE-6? Audeze (which model) or HD800?
Appreciate your help!! 

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #868 of 2,392

Looks like the highlighted number is one zero short.
Note that at all other impedances the BAL output is about 4x the SE. The amp doesn't just reconfigure itself depending on what is plugged in and for some mystical reason shuts down 3 of its four amps and throttles the fourth one to 1/3 of its power when low impedance headphones are plugged in. 

It doesn't reconfigure itself or shut down portions - it's just a matter of how each output performs, where it has peak voltage swing versus output current. BAL out seems to deliver most current into 120 ohm loads. Which is interesting because the new(ish) LCD-3 Fazor is rated at 110 ohms. Back when Taurus first came out, all the planar models were low impedance, so this is a happy coincidence.

How it works - there are basically four amp sections if you will. STD mode has each channel driven by a pair of amps in parallel configuration. Result? More output current into lower impedance loads, less voltage swing. BAL mode uses a bridge-tied load configuration which results in much higher voltage swings but less output current at low impedance. That's why we get subtle differences between BAL and STD outputs in terms of flavor. 

So would the Taurus drive the LCD-X well? It has impedance of 22 ohms IIRC. The Taurus amp may be a little better suited to the LCD 3(f) with its higher impedance if I am reading this correctly for balance mode? Which is what I generally prefer to use.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #869 of 2,392
Anyone here who has/have the Schiit M/G stack and can compare the Auralic Taurus MkII/Vega combo? Thinking someday that might be the next destination to go for upgrade. Any thoughts/impressions appreciated.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #870 of 2,392
  Which headphones to go from the HE-6? Audeze (which model) or HD800?
Appreciate your help!! 

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you asking which headphones you should try next? Honestly the Audeze and HD800 sounds are completely different, so it's up to you which type you might prefer. Audeze is more thick and rich, while HD800 is analytical, and either thin/bright or perfectly neutral depending on your outlook.

So would the Taurus drive the LCD-X well? It has impedance of 22 ohms IIRC. The Taurus amp may be a little better suited to the LCD 3(f) with its higher impedance if I am reading this correctly for balance mode? Which is what I generally prefer to use.

Taurus drives most anything pretty well. Don't go strictly by the power ratings either, because a lot of people prefer balanced mode with low impedance planars, despite having less current than standard mode. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back