Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,627 of 8,309
+1, especially compared the the ALO Pan am?

Ahhhh, the Pan Am costs over three times more than the T1. I don't understand.

One is a cheap tube with a solid state amplifier and the other is a tube amplifier with a solid state DAC.
If you've got the money, buy the ALO.
The tubes for the T1 are great for audio but expensive. The tubes for the ALO are cheap, not amazing for audio but there are a ton of choices for rolling.
The T1 is less versatile as well. Having to use it's tube DAC via USB limits input options.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2,629 of 8,309
Quote:
The tubes for the T1 are great for audio but expensive. The tubes for the ALO are cheap, not amazing for audio but there are a ton of choices for rolling.

This part you got wrong imo. I have ~30 different NOS tubes that all were cheap, crazy cheap actually and for T1 tubes there are also very very many choices for rolling (even relatively undiscovered areas like PCC189).

Silver T1 doesn`t look cheap only when paired with silverish gear (macbook pro etc.). But it`s only my opinion and it`s about personal preference. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2,630 of 8,309
Quote:
You must use the USB input on the T1 in order to use the tube DAC built into it. It has to be connected to a computer (or some Android devices).
I'm unclear about how you would use a USB-S/PDIF converter with your current setup though I'm assuming you'd like to run it between your iMac and the T1.

The Aune T1 does not support 24/192khz. Neither do your ears.  :wink:
The T1's maximum is 24/96khz.

Ha. Thanks for not flaming me. I got home and looked and realized...yeah, that was a dumb idea.

Now I'll follow along and see if anyone goes through with some mods on their T1's.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #2,631 of 8,309
Quote:
This part you got wrong imo. I have ~30 different NOS tubes that all were cheap, crazy cheap actually and for T1 tubes there are also very very many choices for rolling (even relatively undiscovered areas like PCC189).

Silver T1 doesn`t look cheap only when paired with silverish gear (macbook pro etc.). But it`s only my opinion and it`s about personal preference. 

Fair enough. In the scheme of things there are very excellent and inexpensive tubes for this amp and they sound great.
It's relative though. I recently purchased a NOS pair of really great tubes for my Little Dot that cost me $10USD shipped. Typically I spend anywhere from $8-25 on a pair of tubes for that amp. Cheaper than the majority of tubes for the T1.
I'm not attempting to argue about it. I just have experience with a different amp which can use hundreds (I haven't done the actual math) of different tubes and most are under $25 shipped.
You're definitely an excellent tube collector and you know how to search for the right things, wait patiently and then pounce on the real deals. I've found some good deals on eBay. For instance, someone didn't know he had a NOS Siemens 6DJ8 on his hands and was selling it for $18 or another seller with a Mullard 6922 for $18.
Honestly, most of the tubes you recommend are great tubes and compared to the Siemens/TFK E188CC's that everyone is chasing, they're dirt cheap.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #2,632 of 8,309
Ha. Thanks for not flaming me. I got home and looked and realized...yeah, that was a dumb idea.

Now I'll follow along and see if anyone goes through with some mods on their T1's.

After doing some more reading on the topic of rolling opamps I don't think I'll be doing it.
I recently read an article written by NWAVGuy (the guy who created the O2 amp and the ODAC) on subject and it totally called into question the common practice of changing out opamps.
The guy isn't a god but I really respect some of his work and writing.

The odd thing is that I've built a few of his CMoyBB headphone amps and they use a dip socket so that you can switch opamps. Why would he include that piece if he thought it was pointless? To appease customer demand?

That said, if you want me to throw a dip socket in there for you I can definitely do it for a small fee.
I'm also working on creating an adapter so that we can use the ring style tube protectors instead of the cheap acrylic guards that come with the unit.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #2,634 of 8,309
Quote:
After doing some more reading on the topic of rolling opamps I don't think I'll be doing it.
I recently read an article written by NWAVGuy (the guy who created the O2 amp and the ODAC) on subject and it totally called into question the common practice of changing out opamps.
The guy isn't a god but I really respect some of his work and writing.

The odd thing is that I've built a few of his CMoyBB headphone amps and they use a dip socket so that you can switch opamps. Why would he include that piece if he thought it was pointless? To appease customer demand?

That said, if you want me to throw a dip socket in there for you I can definitely do it for a small fee.
I'm also working on creating an adapter so that we can use the ring style tube protectors instead of the cheap acrylic guards that come with the unit.

Thanks for useful information! Will ditch idea of changing Aune T1 opamps. Well, it already sounds perfect for my ears anyway (with right tubes) ;P

About cheap tube prices, most of my tubes are around 5-15$ including shipping :D 

Btw, I decided to sell lot of my tubes (~10-20) but I don`t have motivation & intrest atm for taking pictures and making selling thread.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,635 of 8,309
Quote:
One Miniwatt-Dario PCC88 available - CHEAP! Get it while you can, it`s rare (probably french factory made): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCC88-MINIWATT-ELECTRONIC-VALVE-/251289416486?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item3a82043326#shId
For me it`s ridiculous posting cost 14£ from UK, don`t know why, otherwise would get it myself. Should be very good tube if I consider Miniwatt-Dario PCC189´s & ECC189 that I own.

e: found 2x ECC189 also: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC189-6ES8-MINIWATT-DARIO-HEERLEN-MATCHED-PAIR-/140981075684?pt=FR_JG_Collections_Radios&hash=item20d3207ee4

e2: also one good Siemens PCC189 offer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-PCC189-Rohre-Tube-Neu-New-OVP-/141031418123?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Elektronenr%C3%B6hren_Valves&hash=item20d620a90b

Thank You CoiL, I've just bought a Siemens PCC189 and maybe i'll get other tubes too; so if you are going to sell some of your tubes let us know 
bigsmile_face.gif
 i could be interested 

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,636 of 8,309
No need to thank. Give us your own opinion about that tube when you have burned it in and done some comparing.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #2,637 of 8,309
Still loving the T1 after a couple of months of ear time. If you're reading this thread and still on the fence about getting a T1 do yourself a favor and get one ASAP. The T1 was my first headphone amp and before it I thought my AKG K240 Studios sounded flat and pale. They simply needed a proper amp. I'm also driving a pair of modified Fostex T50RPs with the T1 and they sound amazing. The sound provided by the T1 has rekindled my love of music and even introduced me to genres I never really cared for like classical. Orchestral music sounds so much better with a properly amplified set of headphones I find myself listening to classics and understanding why they're classics. The T1 was the best audio purchase of my 55 year life.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,639 of 8,309

Tesla PCC88 32 yellow markings, Tesla PCC88 32 & 37 white markings, 6N23P reflector, Brimar ECC88, Valvo PCC88, 2x Brimar PCC189, Mullard PCC189, Mazda Belvu PCC189 - these are probably all to go because I just don`t use them.
Also thinking about selling 2x Lorenz PCC189, Sovtek 6922 98, Tungsram PCC88, Mazda PCC189, Philips PCC189, Mullard ECC88, Amperex GAE PQ shield logo ....but I`m not sure I`m willing to let go of those, they are too good for the price I got them -.-

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #2,640 of 8,309
Still loving the T1 after a couple of months of ear time. If you're reading this thread and still on the fence about getting a T1 do yourself a favor and get one ASAP. The T1 was my first headphone amp and before it I thought my AKG K240 Studios sounded flat and pale. They simply needed a proper amp. I'm also driving a pair of modified Fostex T50RPs with the T1 and they sound amazing. The sound provided by the T1 has rekindled my love of music and even introduced me to genres I never really cared for like classical. Orchestral music sounds so much better with a properly amplified set of headphones I find myself listening to classics and understanding why they're classics. The T1 was the best audio purchase of my 55 year life.

+1 (61 in my case)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back