Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 9, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #2,585 of 8,309
You know... now I'm wondering. I might have an extra dip8 socket and a few opamps sitting around.
Removing the stock opamp and replacing it with a dip8 socket wouldn't be hard at all and then I'd be able to roll opamps!
Who's interested?

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #2,586 of 8,309
Quote:
Anywhere I can get an Amperex 7308 with cheap shipping? Really don't want to pay $53 shipping from upscaleaudio.

Quartz said they're getting stock in 2 weeks, which is only $3 shipping worldwide *lol*... may just wait for that.

Yeah quartz have very low shipping costs and from my personal experiences the Singaporean airmail is very fast too. It's also good to keep in mind that the prices are in Singaporean dollars :wink:

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #2,587 of 8,309
Quote:
Thank you guys for your advices. But at this point, if you think those test doens't mean anything, i'd better get a new tube instead of sending the item back, as it will cost about 35 €. Anyway at high volumes it's hard to notice the channel imbalance that is clearly audible at lower volumes (as one channel sounds while the other is mute).
I was thinking about a Tesla N.O.S gold pin(39 €), a used Sylvania gold pin (25 €) or a Siemens N.O.S gold pin( 57 €). What do you suggest me, keeping in mind that i''m going to use the Aune with a Sennheiser HD598)?

Depends on what genre you mostly listen. Tesla PCC88 (32 & 37 white label, 32 yellow label) are good for classical imo. 32 yellow label czech is the best out of them. Can`t say anything about Telsa ECC88, E88CC or PCC189 though. If you are listening mostly electronic music, would probably go for Sylvana gold pin but if you listen almost everything would probably go for Siemens. Not sure again what type of Siemens are you talking about. Siemens PCC189 is very good. PCC88 version is also good but littlebit less clear/transparent and more "warmer" sounding.
Well, for me all those tubes you mentioned are too expensive and would go for NOS tubes from eBay or straight for Amperex 7308. It really depends on what music you like mostly and what are your personal preferences - warm, intimate & "old" sounding or large soundstage/air, clearness and transparency... or something in "middle" like Amperex OG / Ultron PCC189 / Siemens PCC189 / Miniwatt-Dario PCC189/ECC189.

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #2,588 of 8,309
Quote:
You know... now I'm wondering. I might have an extra dip8 socket and a few opamps sitting around.
Removing the stock opamp and replacing it with a dip8 socket wouldn't be hard at all and then I'd be able to roll opamps!
Who's interested?

What do you mean? Do you want me to do the swapping/soldering?
confused_face_2.gif

Whatever you are doing I'm interested! But I'm a bit afraid that I will ruin my SS board. So a test unit will be nice. Does anyone have a defective T1 which is doing nothing? Then I'm Interested. Or I would only need this small SS board with the dipswiches on it. The NE5532 (which is a very good opamp already) could possibly be swapped with a OPA 2134

Altough I have a degree in electrical engineering my knowledge has decreased enormously. So I'm not really confident ...
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #2,589 of 8,309
Who's interested?

That's an interesting thought!!. Always wished the T1 is like the Maverick Audio D1 where one can easily change the ss & tube opamp..

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #2,590 of 8,309
Quote:
Depends on what genre you mostly listen. Tesla PCC88 (32 & 37 white label, 32 yellow label) are good for classical imo. 32 yellow label czech is the best out of them. Can`t say anything about Telsa ECC88, E88CC or PCC189 though. If you are listening mostly electronic music, would probably go for Sylvana gold pin but if you listen almost everything would probably go for Siemens. Not sure again what type of Siemens are you talking about. Siemens PCC189 is very good. PCC88 version is also good but littlebit less clear/transparent and more "warmer" sounding.
Well, for me all those tubes you mentioned are too expensive and would go for NOS tubes from eBay or straight for Amperex 7308. It really depends on what music you like mostly and what are your personal preferences - warm, intimate & "old" sounding or large soundstage/air, clearness and transparency... or something in "middle" like Amperex OG / Ultron PCC189 / Siemens PCC189 / Miniwatt-Dario PCC189/ECC189.

Thank You CoiL, you've been very detailed 
regular_smile .gif
 I listen almost everything but  in particular Progressive Rock. So I'd like to have 2 tubes, one with a large soundstage and a clear and trasparent sound (for progressive rock) and one with a warm and intimate sound (for any other genre).

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #2,592 of 8,309
So close to jumping on this but i'm really looking for an amo that will drive my higher and lower impedance cans, has anyone tried this on headphones lower than the suggested 32ohm minimum?

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2,593 of 8,309
I was part of the 1st group buy. The gain controls at the bottom of the unit wasn't properly lined up, which I don't really care because I don't think I'll ever change the gain setting.

What really annoyed me was the fact that my unit didn't come with an USB cable and Aus power adapter as stated on their website in the description.

They said they would send me the cable and adapter about almost a month now and I still haven't got them! ;(

With such big order for Aune to produce in such short amount of time, I was kind of expecting some sort of inferior built quality products

Things like missing parts & shoddier build quality is why HF is against groupbuys like this. And that's typically the main complaint that ppl have with groupon stuff as well. The manufacturer never anticipate the flood of orders that they'll get and they'll need to start cutting corners somewhere to provide units on time. It's a great deal for consumers in the short run who get the initial order but ppl after that get shafted either not receiving or quality.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,594 of 8,309
There are likely other reasons group buys cannot be discussed on this site. I imagine some reasons, as suggested are quality concerns. Linked to that are support issues of the kind we're seeing talked about now.

Yazen needs to contact the group buy site, not this thread.
Posts about that site are regularly deleted here.

As to your question, the poor quality of your headphone jack could cause audio issues. Not because the coating on the jack's ring is oxidized or scratched. That would never affect audio quality because that piece is cosmetic.
You would experience some small, possibly audible issues if the contacts inside the jack are oxidized or severely malformed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back