Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #2,386 of 8,309
Quote:
Please someone put it into first post! It has been asked so many times!

Tube types that will work with Aune T1:
6DJ8, ECC88, 6922, E88CC, 7308, 6N23P, 6N27P, 6N11, 6N1P, 7DJ8, PCC88, ECC189, 6ES8, 
E188CC, ECC86, 6GM8, PCC189, 7ES8, Cca, CV2492, CV10320, CV5231, CV5354, CV5358, M3624

wish granted sir!

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,387 of 8,309
Please someone put it into first post! It has been asked so many times!

Tube types that will work with Aune T1:
6DJ8, ECC88, 6922, E88CC, 7308, 6N23P, 6N27P, 6N11, 6N1P, 7DJ8, PCC88, ECC189, 6ES8, 
E188CC, ECC86, 6GM8, PCC189, 7ES8, Cca, CV2492, CV10320, CV5231, CV5354, CV5358, M3624

I'm very sorry, I couldn't find it in the thread because of the number of pages
Thank you very much though !

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2,388 of 8,309
Jul 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #2,389 of 8,309
I just took delivery of an Amperex Jan gold pin 7308 from Upscale Audio. I opted for the platinum grade and had it cryogenically treated. I was very skeptical of being able to hear a difference between the stock 6922EH and the 7308. I was really expecting to be disappointed with the new tube. I'm by no means an audiophile but I've been blown away by how good my AKG240s sound with the T1 and 6922EH. I really didn't think it could get much better for a $100 pair of headphones but I was wrong. Holy **** was I wrong. The 7308 sounds much better than the 6922EH. I'm really astounded how much better the music sounds, especially percussion and bass and the soundstage is so much more "there." I primarily listen to rock, 80's and alternative but I tested the new tube with jazz and classical too. The difference between the tubes was very obvious.

If you're sitting on the fence on upgrading the stock 6922EH or better yet the previous standard Chinese tube I say the $102 cost ($80 for platinum grade tube, $8 for cryogenic treatment, $14.65 shipping) of a premium tube is worth every penny.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #2,390 of 8,309
I just took delivery of an Amperex Jan gold pin 7308 from Upscale Audio. I opted for the platinum grade and had it cryogenically treated. I was very skeptical of being able to hear a difference between the stock 6922EH and the 7308. I was really expecting to be disappointed with the new tube. I'm by no means an audiophile but I've been blown away by how good my AKG240s sound with the T1 and 6922EH. I really didn't think it could get much better for a $100 pair of headphones but I was wrong. Holy **** was I wrong. The 7308 sounds much better than the 6922EH. I'm really astounded how much better the music sounds, especially percussion and bass and the soundstage is so much more "there." I primarily listen to rock, 80's and alternative but I tested the new tube with jazz and classical too. The difference between the tubes was very obvious.

If you're sitting on the fence on upgrading the stock 6922EH or better yet the previous standard Chinese tube I say the $102 cost ($80 for platinum grade tube, $8 for cryogenic treatment, $14.65 shipping) of a premium tube is worth every penny.

I got this tube from Upscale Audio too and have been listening to it for the last few weeks. Even the driver grade (which was all I could afford) is fantastic and has completely revolutionized my listening pleasure. I have found it excellent with jazz, classical and female vocal and classic rock. There is almost a three dimensional sound to it that I never heard with the 6922 or Voskhod. . I am glad that you are enjoying it.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #2,391 of 8,309
Quote:
I got this tube from Upscale Audio too and have been listening to it for the last few weeks. Even the driver grade (which was all I could afford) is fantastic and has completely revolutionized my listening pleasure. I have found it excellent with jazz, classical and female vocal and classic rock. There is almost a three dimensional sound to it that I never heard with the 6922 or Voskhod. . I am glad that you are enjoying it.

Ditto, I couldn't have said it better. Someone used the term "holographic soundstage" and now I know what they meant.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2,392 of 8,309
Hello forum. I just signed up with hopes to get some direction so I can experience the amazingness that is shared throughout this thread. 

I consider myself an audiophile in the sense that I know what really good sound is.  However, I don't know the mechanics or technical aspects of anything. I'm a musician believe it or not but I have never put the effort in to learn about Ohms or anything else within sound.  I know, it's ignorant but I put those efforts into other things.  

That's why I'm here, and hopefully someone can give me a quick summary so I can order this stuff today :) 

Now to the point, I currently have Sennheiser HD555 headphones that are about four years old. I was wondering if I could buy the amp talked about within this thread and be able to tell a big difference between having it plugged into my $120.00 motherboard. If not, I'm open to buy new headphones.  Basically, I'm looking for an awesome setup that will work with my computer.  My budget is $550.00.. Can someone give me a quick summary and some guidance on what exactly I need to hook a set of awesome headphones into my computer using this Aune T1 or whatever the latest one is? I read the forum for a while but it's been going on for so long! 

I apologize for my laziness, ignorance, and whatever else but if you could help me out, you would make me VERY HAPPY! I love good sound! Thanks everyone! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #2,393 of 8,309
I am not familiar with the HD555 headphone but my mid-level AKG240 headphones did not sound good when plugged into my motherboard or iPod. The addition of the T1 with it's upscale digital-to-analog converter (DAC), tube buffer circuit and excellent headphone amp made the AKG240's sing. I didn't know it but they needed more amp power to fill out the bass. You will be blown away by the difference--order a T1 now. The T1 comes with everything you need to hook it up to your computer. Try it with your current headphones before you decide to upgrade them but you will be able to get some excellent headphones and stay within your budget--I like the HiFiMAN HE-400 and Mad Dog headphones in your price range.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #2,394 of 8,309
Thanks robrob. Just to confirm because usually these products will have a ton of reviews on amazon, would it be this one or something similar?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A2QJMRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1374676965&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

Thanks again

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2,396 of 8,309
Seatown, that is the unit we're talking about with the good (but not great) tube. That is about the price paid too.

penmarker, have you verified your imbalance problem isn't with your headphones?

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #2,397 of 8,309
Quote:
Thanks robrob. Just to confirm because usually these products will have a ton of reviews on amazon, would it be this one or something similar?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A2QJMRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1374676965&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

Thanks again

Massdrop has good Aune T1 offering :wink: And if you are musician (I also was and kind of still are) then I recommend you to grab Amperex OG right away. Cheaper option would be Philips PCC189 (Heerlen).

edit: sry that offering has ended but probably soon there will be another iI hope.
I bought another 6922EH that had gone bad, it still has the same channel imbalance as the previous one. I'm afraid it's the DAC part of my unit.
What should I do? I bought this unit used. Please advise.

Sad to hear that :frowning2: Are you 100 % sure it`s not the headphones of it`s cable/connections?

If you bought it used with no guarantee then first option would be open it and look for any visual damage, loose soldering or wire, bad capacitors etc. If everything seems ok then you could maybe connect to aune directly and ask if they can help with repair or go to local electronic repair-guy.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,398 of 8,309
My headphones work fine. If I use line in to connect with my turntable or mp3 player, it works fine. But if I use the USB connection the channel imbalance persists.

Could USB cables cause channel imbalance too? I'm asking this because my previous RCA cable was defective and had this sort of buzzing/humming you hear when the grounding in your circuit is faulty. I tried opening it once but I can't get to more than just opening the plate below it. Also I can't really judge soldering quality.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #2,399 of 8,309
Quote:
Now to the point, I currently have Sennheiser HD555 headphones that are about four years old. I was wondering if I could buy the amp talked about within this thread and be able to tell a big difference between having it plugged into my $120.00 motherboard. If not, I'm open to buy new headphones.  Basically, I'm looking for an awesome setup that will work with my computer.  My budget is $550.00.. Can someone give me a quick summary and some guidance on what exactly I need to hook a set of awesome headphones into my computer using this Aune T1 or whatever the latest one is? I read the forum for a while but it's been going on for so long!

1. Get Aune T1
2. Get new headphones
3. Use leftover money to get few spare tubes (tubes are not the main thing here. Just get T1 and proper headphones first)
4. Be a happy man

HD650 and K702 anniversaries (+ K702 pads) are one of the best headphones in their price range imo and would definitely be nice upgrade for you. Fidelio X1 are also great headphones for those who need plenty of good bass impact from their open headphones. Too bad the X1 are not the most refined cans out there and hence not as high fidelity as the former two. DT880 are also very nice cans. If you need closed headphones K550 should be considered. They do, however, have quite piercing treble.

Computer + music player with ASIO or WASAPI etc. plugin -> Aune T1 via USB -> headphones

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,400 of 8,309
The T1 impresses me beecause of its price, size, and you get to tube roll.  I think the EH sounds pretty good, can I get some recommendations for tubes in the 30-50$ range. I know the Amperex has been mentioned but I dont have the funds to pay out $100 for a tube at the moment.  Any non-NOS tubes been recommended?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back