Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #2,116 of 8,309
1.) My little clear protectors are all banged up and loose. One of them actually broke when I first installed it. Has anyone found a more durable replacement? I still have the extra set I can install if not.

Do a search on eBay (worldwide) for "tube guard". I'm personally going with the matte silver color to match the ring on the volume knob.
They won't sit securely in the post holes of the stock acrylic guard though. It'll be loose. I'm planning to see what I can do about that.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2,117 of 8,309
Quote:
Do a search on eBay (worldwide) for "tube guard". I'm personally going with the matte silver color to match the ring on the volume knob.
They won't sit securely in the post holes of the stock acrylic guard though. It'll be loose. I'm planning to see what I can do about that.

I dont think the tube guards on ebay would fit this.  If you find one that fits, provide the link!  Thanks!

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #2,122 of 8,309
Hey guys! What I've gathered from scavenging through so many pages of details is that the Amperex series is liked by most of you. I'm confused between the different variants of this tube. I saw the following tubes online -

1) Amperex PQ 7308 E188CC Gold Pin (Holland made) for 50 $ 
2) A pair of Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88 orange globe ( Holland made) for 35 $

The white label 7308 would be out of my budget :frowning2:

Which of these 2 do you find to be better. Are they worth it at this price?

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #2,123 of 8,309
Quote:
Please post photos with what you come up with.  Could be very cool.  Good luck!

Hmmm, my mind went to WOOD! I think I`m going to make one from Oak but not sure I will keep it because I tend to change tubes depending on music style.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #2,125 of 8,309
Thanks for the replies so far, guys. So I think I'm probably going to go with the Amperex 7308. Upscale Audio has them in stock. Can I use the "driver grade" with the Aune? Otherwise I'll just get the platinum grade, and actually I might end up doing that anyways.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #2,126 of 8,309
Quote:
1) Amperex PQ 7308 E188CC Gold Pin (Holland made) for 50 $ 
2) A pair of Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88 orange globe ( Holland made) for 35 $

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far, guys. So I think I'm probably going to go with the Amperex 7308. Upscale Audio has them in stock. Can I use the "driver grade" with the Aune? Otherwise I'll just get the platinum grade, and actually I might end up doing that anyways.

I'd say $15 tops for 70's orange label. For the older ones you usually need to pay some extra. 7308 is awesome but ultimately it's up to the buyer whether it's worth $50+. I remember somebody here getting the driver grade, but can't recall how it all worked out for him. Try searching "driver grade" and ask the guy personally. Or even better ask upscale audio. I think most people have gone with cryoed platinum. There are at least white, orange and green 7308 Amperexes out there. Some hardcore collectors want the white USN version because it was for the navy.

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #2,127 of 8,309
Quote:

I'd say $15 tops for 70's orange label. For the older ones you usually need to pay some extra. 7308 is awesome but ultimately it's up to the buyer whether it's worth $50+. I remember somebody here getting the driver grade, but can't recall how it all worked out for him. Try searching "driver grade" and ask the guy personally. Or even better ask upscale audio. I think most people have gone with cryoed platinum. There are at least white, orange and green 7308 Amperexes out there. Some hardcore collectors want the white USN version because it was for the navy.

Where are you able to find orange label for $15?  I've been looking all over and haven't found a price close to that.  Thanks so much.
-AudioFrog

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #2,128 of 8,309
Single tubes are harder to find but ebay is full of doubles where the price is around $15 per tube. I bought one orange print from quartzacoustic for around $18 and then one quadruple set from ebay. Those were about $10 each. Ebay all the way. You just need patience and luck. Throw in some bids. Occasionally you get very good deals.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2,129 of 8,309
Single tubes are harder to find but ebay is full of doubles where the price is around $15 per tube. I bought one orange print from quartzacoustic for around $18 and then one quadruple set from ebay. Those were about $10 each. Ebay all the way. You just need patience and luck. Throw in some bids. Occasionally you get very good deals.

+1. I just picked up a pair of amperex orange globe for 15 each shipped as back ups. Most of the tubes that I've owned, I got through eBay, spending on average, 15 each. The most expensive one I have, I bought NOS from vacuumtubes.net for 85. That one skews the average just a tad. :D Just do a search every few days and hit watch on the ones that looks good and wait til they're about to end. If the price is reasonable, bid away. If not, just drop it and repeat. Another tip is to watch used but tested high tubes. A whole lot cheaper than NOS. A great way to audition a tube's signature sound without breaking the bank.

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2,130 of 8,309
Got my NOS NIB perfect condition Siemens PCC189 today. Although I haven`t burnt in this tube yet, I have to say that this tube is very good. Imho it`s better than my GAE coded Amperex PQ OG. It has tinybit smoother highs and soundstage is littlebit pushed further away @ center point compared to Amperex GAE PQ OG. Compared to Ultron PCC189 it has littlebit more sparkle in highs and soundstage is more towards Λ shaped than upside-down U shaped. Ultron PCC189 & Amperex GAC OG are still littlebit better with alternative rock/metal/progressive/jazz but it`s really good tube for every genre, no shortcomings with atmospheric electronic music either. Recommend to get this tube. Luckily I got it only for 10.5€ (post included) but there are some slightly higher priced deals available atm. Definitely worth-to-get tube :wink:

Also got my Sovtek 6922`s and first impressions felt these being quite same sounding as 6922EH. There might be little difference in air & transparency but got to burn and compare them more.
So, these are good tubes for atmospheric electronic music.

And last, got 2x Brimar PCC189 (made in england) too... not sure about these yet but they sound good unlike my other Brimar`s that suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back