Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2,131 of 8,309
Quote:
Another question for you guys: can I have say, both USB and RCA IN connected so that when I want to use the tube I use the USB connection and when I don't I switch to Line In, all while the machine stays on? Even though I am not going to using the tube when gaming, will it still wear it simply because it's connected?

Can I please get a response for this? May seem like a simple question but I do not possess much of the technical knowledge some of you have.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #2,133 of 8,309
I'm pretty sure if the tube is glowing it's wearing. Not a good idea to let them idle. What about removing the tube?

E: Or use your cheapest tubes. They are like light bulbs after all. Not going to last foverer.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #2,134 of 8,309
The tube will still remain warmed, and "ready", it just won't have signal passing through it.

It will therefore still take a toll on the lifespan of the tube - if that was your primary concern. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #2,135 of 8,309
Got my NOS NIB perfect condition Siemens PCC189 today. Although I haven`t burnt in this tube yet, I have to say that this tube is very good. Imho it`s better than my GAE coded Amperex PQ OG. It has tinybit smoother highs and soundstage is littlebit pushed further away @ center point compared to Amperex GAE PQ OG. Compared to Ultron PCC189 it has littlebit more sparkle in highs and soundstage is more towards Λ shaped than upside-down U shaped. Ultron PCC189 & Amperex GAC OG are still littlebit better with alternative rock/metal/progressive/jazz but it`s really good tube for every genre, no shortcomings with atmospheric electronic music either. Recommend to get this tube. Luckily I got it only for 10.5€ (post included) but there are some slightly higher priced deals available atm.

Whoa, from what I've read around the web the 6ES8 are not very good replacements for 6DJ8 in terms of audio quality.
You're saying that the Siemens 7ES8 is better than the 6DJ8 Amperex OG?
I'm made even more curious about this because I just received a Siemens 6ES8 and haven't tried it yet.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #2,136 of 8,309
Very nice post from Lyr tube rolling thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7725#post_9535339

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #2,138 of 8,309
Not sure about this. I always turn the unit off when changing tubes. If you know you're about to do some gaming take the tube off before powering the T1.

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #2,139 of 8,309
I don't know about you guys, but tubes should have 5,000 to 10,000 hours in their lifetime. Physically pulling it out and pushing it in constantly might cause undue wear worse than just using it. But that's just me.
Plus your fingers/skin has certain oils that can bond onto the glass surface, couple that with the tube's heat, it might damage the tubes. Try touching a halogen light bulb bare fingered, the bulb will burn/blow faster.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #2,140 of 8,309
Yeah depends on the tube. I sure wouldn't want to burn 7308 Amperex if I wasn't listening music. $15 tubes are completely different story. I don't recommend unnecessary unplugging either. I only remove tubes when rolling new ones in. Practically this is when comparing new tubes or taking specific tube for new specific album or listening session. Orange print is plugged in almost all the time. I already dropped and broke one Ultron while juggling tubes. For heavy rollers I recommend socket savers.

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #2,141 of 8,309
Quote:
Plus your fingers/skin has certain oils that can bond onto the glass surface, couple that with the tube's heat, it might damage the tubes. Try touching a halogen light bulb bare fingered, the bulb will burn/blow faster.

Imo this is BS. I`ve read about this subject and best real world experience example was from one radio repair-guy who was working with tubes over 60 years and he had very old tubes that were literally like soaked in "finger-oil" and it made no difference in sound or age of tube.

Salvatore, let that Ultron RIP. Lucky you it wasn`t some expensive Amperex 7308. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #2,142 of 8,309
Do anyone have experience with Telefunken E88CC using with Aune T1? Does it really have superior sound quality? Can you hear the difference when compared with other tubes? I can say it is good but I could not make out the difference with EH6922. Thanks.

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,143 of 8,309
I don't have a 6dj8 but rather a 7es8 variant of the telefunken. It's very similar to the 6922eh on a quick listen but it has a more normal spherical soundstage unlike the abnormal oblong shaped stage of the 6922eh. Other than that, I don't notice a huge difference.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2,144 of 8,309
Interesting video about vacuum tubes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDvF89Bh27Y (again from the Lyr tube rolling thread)

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #2,145 of 8,309
Quote:
Do anyone have experience with Telefunken E88CC using with Aune T1? Does it really have superior sound quality? Can you hear the difference when compared with other tubes? I can say it is good but I could not make out the difference with EH6922. Thanks.

Now that you mentioned it they are indeed very similar sounding (transparent) tubes. Tele corrects some of the faults EH has. Better imaging, resolution and bass in my opinion. Vocals seem to be more forward with EH. Hard pair to compare. My Tele is 7DJ8 type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back