Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2,101 of 8,309
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but I am 100% set on the T1 as well as the DT 880, just deciding if I should keep the Pros, or get the Premiums. You said that they don't pair well but does that mean they sound worse than the Pros with this DAC/Amp?

The difference in ohms between the 880s are very minor. And the difference between the pros and prems are cosmetic thus the 250 pro and 600 prem should sound pretty much the same. Graphs show the 600 ohms being smoother treble wise. The above comment wasn't meant to discourage you, it was just meant to let you know that they power the DT880/600s just fine, just doesn't synergize well. They don't pair well because it's a bright headphone with a bright amp so it exacerbates sibilant recordings so if you're sensitive to treble, you wouldn't like the outcome. But with that said, you can always use the lineout and connect a warmer amp to the T1, which I have done myself.

Alright, I understood beforehand that when paired together that they would be very bright but it won't affect me.

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #2,102 of 8,309
I got the amperexes, and haven't been able to test completely properly due to ear difficulties.  Could be water in the ear, clogged eustachian tubes or something like that.  And of course it must happen when new audio stuff comes, right?:p

Anyway I got a chance to do some listening and the amperexes are good but not entirely what I was expecting.  Of coarse, it could be because they're orange label and not orange globe?  Not sure, but here are my impressions so far:
Stock tube has really good upper mids.  Really very good female vocals, although I do feel like they're positioned too far to the sides.  Slightly lacking on lower mids, but bass impact is pretty good.  Not as good as pioneer equipment, but I think that must be a tube thing. 
Anyway the amperex orange label PQs are not as far wide to the side, soundstage wise.  And they definitely tone down the sibilance that I was getting through my bright yamaha speakers.  The catch is that I don't feel female vocals are produced as clearly, but it's still very enjoyable to listen too (perhaps even more so, these tubes just seem higher quality).  The soundstage also seems a bit close to the head.

Still, I'm definitely going with the orange labels for speaker usage.  I'm still a bit divided over headphone usage, though: orange labes are like a warm blanket, eh 6922 is very piercing and engaging.

On a different note, how do you guys travel with your t1?  Do you put it back in the original box in a suitcase?  My amperexes came in this adorable little canadian box which I think I may use for my tubes while traveling.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #2,103 of 8,309
The slight loss in clarity for vocals is probably due to the amperex having warmers mids and slightly rolled off highs. Maybe try telefunken for similar stage but more neutral signature. it's a hq 6922 with normal soundstage. I don't travel with my great but I've seen ppl pack stuff in pelican case. pricey but good looking

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #2,104 of 8,309
Jun 14, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #2,106 of 8,309
Quote:
I got a chance to do some listening and the amperexes are good but not entirely what I was expecting.  Of coarse, it could be because they're orange label and not orange globe?

Anyway the amperex orange label PQs are not as far wide to the side, soundstage wise.  And they definitely tone down the sibilance that I was getting through my bright yamaha speakers.  The catch is that I don't feel female vocals are produced as clearly, but it's still very enjoyable to listen too (perhaps even more so, these tubes just seem higher quality).  The soundstage also seems a bit close to the head.

orange labes are like a warm blanket, eh 6922 is very piercing and engaging.

On a different note, how do you guys travel with your t1?  Do you put it back in the original box in a suitcase?  My amperexes came in this adorable little canadian box which I think I may use for my tubes while traveling.

Too bad you're not entirely happy with your new tubes. I also have those "newer" orange PQs, but they don't have similar sound signature you're describing. I think they are great for female vocals and also the sound stage is definitely better as compared to EH (wide, deep and spherical). I agree they are warmer, but they still manage to maintain good clarity. I haven't noticed too much differences between the 70's orange print amperexes. How is the white label PQ? I recall it to have stronger more balanced triode readings?

I carry my T1 safely in the original box. It's great compact box to travel with.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #2,107 of 8,309
Quote:

Too bad you're not entirely happy with your new tubes. I also have those "newer" orange PQs, but they don't have similar sound signature you're describing. I think they are great for female vocals and also the sound stage is definitely better as compared to EH (wide, deep and spherical). I agree they are warmer, but they still manage to maintain good clarity. I haven't noticed too much differences between the 70's orange print amperexes. How is the white label PQ? I recall it to have stronger more balanced triode readings?

I carry my T1 safely in the original box. It's great compact box to travel with.

Well, I did more listening to the amperex orange labels (they're both orange labels actually, the one is just really faded so it looks white), and I'm actually very satisfied.
As I said, they sound very good with my speakers.  And the headphones also sound great- if I had to choose one tube for the headphones I'd also go with the orange label.  When I stop analyzing the differences too much, the orange labels are much more enjoyable to listen too.  And they produce female vocals pretty well, perhaps better depending on if you don't like the sharp upper mids. 

One other thing that pleasantly surprised me about the aune is that it doesn't make mp3s sound really bad( To a certain extent- less than 192 kbps and it's going to sound pretty bad).  Listening from pioneer equipment through to my speakers, I can clearly hear the difference between 320 kbps and wav in the soundstage.  However, with the aune, those things seem to be smoothed over in an analog sort of way, which might be because of the tube.  I can still hear the difference in certain parts of a track, but in general mp3s sound better.  

To be clear, that's not an insult.  Usually it's regarded as good if an audio product reveals problems in your files, but this is much better to listen to.  It still shows the details, but not in an unpleasant way.  Of coarse, that could also be because of the orange labels which I'm coming to really like.

Anyway, I may try some other tube at some point down the road when bored, but I'm pretty satisfied right now.  

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,108 of 8,309
Yeah I think the biggest downside of these orange prints is the lack of clarity. They are transparent, but not as sharp as the most revealing tubes. In the end it comes to the headphone synergy and the balance between analytical and musical sound. I've also found that same tubes don't necessarily work so well with both headphones and speakers. It's actually nice to have different sounding tubes. Gives you greater possibility to tweak sound for different systems.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #2,109 of 8,309
It took me a little of time, but I made very wallet-friendly tube-rolling. I've got 3 PCC88 types and Tesla E88CC. I'm very impressed with this one: http://www.tubes.rs/Tubes/NOS/Audio/PreTriodes/ECC88/PCC88_EI_Yugoslavia/PCC88_EI_Yugoslavia.htm#prettyPhoto . Natural, detailed, good soundstage, doesn't exaggerate in any aspect. Tesla E88CC is sweet, detailed tube, but certainly lacks soundstage. Tesla PCC88 is not bad, but a little boomy and unnatural. Mullard PCC88 was the biggest disappointment. That tube is just boring.  Not sure why, but with my cans and music, it sucks. So, if you can get PCC88 EI Yugoslavia for a good price, try it for sure!

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #2,110 of 8,309
 Tesla PCC88 is not bad, but a little boomy and unnatural.

Exactly which Telsa PCC88 you have? White or yellow label? 37 or 32 marking? I have 32 marking yellow label Czechoslovakia and it`s nowhere near boomy and unnatural. It`s very good tube for classical music imo. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,111 of 8,309
Quote:
Exactly which Telsa PCC88 you have? White or yellow label? 37 or 32 marking? I have 32 marking yellow label Czechoslovakia and it`s nowhere near boomy and unnatural. It`s very good tube for classical music imo. 

I've got 6 of them. Yellow/orange label 32 marking, cross swords. It's good tube, has more space than E88CC gold pins, but it is not as smooth and somewhat not as "tight". Yes, Brooklyn Riders playing Phillip Glass sounds nice, but not as nice as EI. Will do some more listening to Tesla's later. I'm stuck with EI sound now.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #2,112 of 8,309
Hey there! I've had my Aune T1 for a few months now, it sounds great. I have two questions that maybe somebody can answer.

1.) My little clear protectors are all banged up and loose. One of them actually broke when I first installed it. Has anyone found a more durable replacement? I still have the extra set I can install if not.

2.) I have a set of Ultrasone Signature Pros. Recommended tube? I remember someone said something about a specific Mullard. The Amperex 7308 also looks extremely interesting, and I might end up going with that. I'm really looking to further open up the soundstage and take a little fuzz out of the sound (my FiiO E17 actually has a little bit cleaner sound, just not the depth).

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2,113 of 8,309
Another question for you guys: can I have say, both USB and RCA IN connected so that when I want to use the tube I use the USB connection and when I don't I switch to Line In, all while the machine stays on? Even though I am not going to using the tube when gaming, will it still wear it simply because it's connected?

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #2,114 of 8,309
I completely agree on this.... Lot of my 128 kbps (they are old songs I like) and some bad recorded musics sounded really bad on Aune T1, worse than on FiiO E10. Aune T1 really merciless on bad recorded songs...
Quote:

One other thing that pleasantly surprised me about the aune is that it doesn't make mp3s sound really bad( To a certain extent- less than 192 kbps and it's going to sound pretty bad).  Listening from pioneer equipment through to my speakers, I can clearly hear the difference between 320 kbps and wav in the soundstage.  However, with the aune, those things seem to be smoothed over in an analog sort of way, which might be because of the tube.  I can still hear the difference in certain parts of a track, but in general mp3s sound better.    
To be clear, that's not an insult.  Usually it's regarded as good if an audio product reveals problems in your files, but this is much better to listen to.  It still shows the details, but not in an unpleasant way.  Of coarse, that could also be because of the orange labels which I'm coming to really like.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #2,115 of 8,309
Quote:
Hey there! I've had my Aune T1 for a few months now, it sounds great. I have two questions that maybe somebody can answer.

1.) My little clear protectors are all banged up and loose. One of them actually broke when I first installed it. Has anyone found a more durable replacement? I still have the extra set I can install if not.

2.) I have a set of Ultrasone Signature Pros. Recommended tube? I remember someone said something about a specific Mullard. The Amperex 7308 also looks extremely interesting, and I might end up going with that. I'm really looking to further open up the soundstage and take a little fuzz out of the sound (my FiiO E17 actually has a little bit cleaner sound, just not the depth).

1) Not sure what you can do with the protectors. They are a bit fragile but i found by gently squeezing the bottom together while removing and inserting them helps them come off easily. Still on my first set, hope they don't break. You can just leave them off if there's no kids or pets roaming around maybe?

2) Salvatore posted a quick summary of the tubes he owned. It's a great place to start.

Quote:
From my collection:

Best tubes: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8, Amperex OG 6DJ8

Budget kings: Ultron 7ES8, Amperex OG 6DJ8, Voshkod Rocket

Transparent: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8

Neutral: Amperex 7308 PQ white label (warmish but I prefer to categorize this to neutral), Telefunken 7DJ8

Warm: Amperex OG 6DJ8, Voshkod Rocket, Genalex Gold Lion, Ultron 7ES8, Bugle Boy

Big sound stage: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8, Amperex OG 6DJ8, EH6922

Forward: Siemens 7DJ8, Voskhod Rocket

It goes without saying that my best tubes are good for pretty much everything (especially Amperex 7308), but here are some special notes:

Rock: Ultron 7ES8, Amperex OG 6DJ8

Electronic: EH6922 (atmospheric / ambient), Ultron 7ES8 (EDM), Valvo 7DJ8 (EDM)

Acoustic: Siemens 7DJ8

Jazz: Amperex 7308 PQ white label

Blues: Voshkod Rocket, Siemens 7DJ8

Vocals: Siemens 7DJ8, Amperex OG 6DJ8

Practically I have Amperex OG plugged in 99% of the time because it's such a great overall tube (and I have 3 of these). Sometimes I switch to Ultron / Telefunken / Amperex 7308 (I'm kind of saving this little gem. Better to burn Teles since I have 3 of them).

There's also these links on tubeworld that have great descriptions of the various tubes that he also posted.
Quote:

Text position and getter suggests 60's Mullard (more likely IEC than shield logo). This being said I actually think it's Mullard, Blackburn made GE tube (maybe from 1969): http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Pair-of-Mullard-Gold-Pin-6922-Tubes-/370696978125

https://www.tubeworld.com/6922.htm#6922Mullard
https://www.tubeworld.com/6dj8.htm#6DJ8MULL60

E: I'm sure it's very nice tube! :wink:
E2: Just noticed the GE tube to have a large halo getter...

My favorite tube so far are the mullards posted above^ they really match well with my hifiman he400s and he500s on the Aune T1.

if you read the previous posts the other members have posted many of their opinions on other tubes as well. worth a read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back