Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 29, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #1,939 of 8,309
Quote:
any idea where can i look for tube reviews?, read all of the 130 pages gonna take some time.

This is probably the best place for beginners: http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

Happy hunting!

May 29, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #1,943 of 8,309
Guys, I'm sorry, but as group buys and group-buy sites aren't permitted here, I've had to delete some recent posts. If you have any questions about this, feel free to PM me.

May 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,944 of 8,309
Will the T1 play well with audio technica AD2000X?

May 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,946 of 8,309
Alright, I took the advice of some of the posters and did some more googling/research on the t1. It's a bit misleading of them to call it a tube amp, but I guess that's ok because the tube preamp makes it sound like one. Plus being able to use this as a dac then forward it out to my speaker amp is pretty sweet.

Few more questions
1. There's no difference between versions of the t1 for sale except for different tubes, correct?
2. If I want to try different tubes anyway, I'm better off going with the cheapest aune t1 I can find, yes?
3. Can someone tell me what the genalex gold lion 6922 sounds like? I've heard some rave reviews about that coupled with the aune, yet I've not found any detailed description of the sound.

I have read through quite a lot of this thread, but I can't remember which people thought what about which tube. So if someone could recommend a few tubes based on my sonic preference, that'd be great.

I generally like a very wet, aquatic feel. I like deep bass, but not boomy or punchy bass. I like an enveloping, large, and warm soundscape with the occasional high instrument/female vocal piercing through.

May 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #1,947 of 8,309
Alright, I took the advice of some of the posters and did some more googling/research on the t1. It's a bit misleading of them to call it a tube amp, but I guess that's ok because the tube preamp makes it sound like one. Plus being able to use this as a dac then forward it out to my speaker amp is pretty sweet.

Few more questions
1. There's no difference between versions of the t1 for sale except for different tubes, correct?
2. If I want to try different tubes anyway, I'm better off going with the cheapest aune t1 I can find, yes?
3. Can someone tell me what the genalex gold lion 6922 sounds like? I've heard some rave reviews about that coupled with the aune, yet I've not found any detailed description of the sound.

I have read through quite a lot of this thread, but I can't remember which people thought what about which tube. So if someone could recommend a few tubes based on my sonic preference, that'd be great.

I generally like a very wet, aquatic feel. I like deep bass, but not boomy or punchy bass. I like an enveloping, large, and warm soundscape with the occasional high instrument/female vocal piercing through.

1. Yes.
2. This is the general wisdom. When I ordered mine from Pennybuying for $150 USD postage free, I expected to get a Chinese tube but a Russian 6922 EH was in the box. I have found this to be a very good basic tube. I also have purchased a Voskhod 6n23p at the recommendation of joeq70. Take a look at his thread starter which is a good intro to this unit.
3. I'm not an experienced tube roller. CoiL seems to be one of the most experienced on this thread. Perhaps he knows.

May 30, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #1,948 of 8,309
I did even more reading in the thread, and found this:
MULLARD, GENALEX, BRIMAR, and other British made NOS: Like a warm British jacket of the finest tweed, these glorious tubes have an attractive sweet warmth in their midrange and lower regions. The top end is silky and pleasant, without being rolled-off. The best of these tubes retain a fine sense of "air" at the top, and the upper midrange is smooth and liquid. These tubes reproduce the human voice, especially female voices, with haunting realism. The 1970s Mullard made have an attractive sparkle at the top with the rich bass, and these tubes are usually priced less than the older types.

I don't know very much about any of those brand names, but that is almost exactly what I'm looking for in sound.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for something that sounds like that?  It doesn't have to be one of those brands, but I imagine that is the first place I'd start looking.  Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy this unit and then spend hundreds of dollars finding a tube that sounds roughly similar to the description above, so any input regarding such a tube would be appreciated.

May 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,949 of 8,309
This description is too general. For example I have 2 different ECC88 Brimars and they suck, basically 2 worst tubes I have, narrow soundstage, bright sounding, recessed mids and suckass bass.
And which Mullard is it meant? Blackburn or Heerlen? They are different. I have Heerlen plant Mullard ECC88 (newer shield logo, GAG coded) and it`s good but I find highs to be littlebit too bright and "dry", it kind of pushes mids section back. @ Amperex oranges vocals feel much more natural for me and the highs are more open and dynamic.
I have no idea about genalex but they should be with good large airy soundstage. Someone in here had it. As I remember it was good but nothing special. I think it comes down to personal preference also. Search from this thread. 

But reading this overall description I would recommend Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 orange globes. For me GAC coded is best of them, then comes GA8 and then GAE. 

May 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,950 of 8,309
Quote:
I did even more reading in the thread, and found this:
MULLARD, GENALEX, BRIMAR, and other British made NOS: Like a warm British jacket of the finest tweed, these glorious tubes have an attractive sweet warmth in their midrange and lower regions. The top end is silky and pleasant, without being rolled-off. The best of these tubes retain a fine sense of "air" at the top, and the upper midrange is smooth and liquid. These tubes reproduce the human voice, especially female voices, with haunting realism. The 1970s Mullard made have an attractive sparkle at the top with the rich bass, and these tubes are usually priced less than the older types.

I don't know very much about any of those brand names, but that is almost exactly what I'm looking for in sound.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for something that sounds like that?  It doesn't have to be one of those brands, but I imagine that is the first place I'd start looking.  Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy this unit and then spend hundreds of dollars finding a tube that sounds roughly similar to the description above, so any input regarding such a tube would be appreciated.

Genalex Gold Lion is a new production russian tube. With that tube you practically know what you get (no need to worry about getting heavily used NOS with best hours already behind) and by reading your posts the gold lion could actually be pretty good tube for you. The main problem is that it is heavily overpriced in my opinion. With Mullards and Brimars you need to do your research which tube type to get. Lots of different tube types, productions etc. under these brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back