Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #1,803 of 8,309
My settings vary depending on the hps. I generally leave it on 0db to drive my lower ohm hps like M80s and IEMs. I use +10db with my HD600 & DT880 600ohms when doing amp comparisons, which isn't often.

May 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,804 of 8,309
Quote:
Will a russian 6N1P-EV tube work in the Aune T1? An if, Will it be any good?

Tried search, but I did not see any definite answers. These 6N1P, 6N1PVI, 6N1PEV & 6N1P-EB types are widely available at low price. I noticed that spec sheet is little bit different than 6DJ8/ECC88 standard and I saw some mentionings that "pre-amp only applications".

So, my question for more achieved tube rollers out there. Will these work and are they any good?   

May 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,805 of 8,309
Quote:
Tried search, but I did not see any definite answers. These 6N1P, 6N1PVI, 6N1PEV & 6N1P-EB types are widely available at low price. I noticed that spec sheet is little bit different than 6DJ8/ECC88 standard and I saw some mentionings that "pre-amp only applications".

So, my question for more achieved tube rollers out there. Will these work and are they any good?   

Never mind. It seems that the cyrillic letter "H" is pronounced "en", so is transliterated as both "h" and "n", so 6n23p = 6h23n. All US sellers use "H" and all Russian sellers use "N". Anyway, spec is little different.

May 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #1,806 of 8,309
I have the 6n23p-eb and it's pretty solid as long as it's cheap. Like, $10 or less cheap. Any more than that, you might as well search for a amperex orange globe. You can pick one up for around $20/each on ebay if you're patient.

May 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #1,807 of 8,309
I now have my new T1 playing from the iPad 3 through the CCK sounds fantastic through my HD558s. The only problem with this hook up is having to use a powered USB hub to avoid the "low power" glitch which iOS has with this unit. The clarity and detail of the music is amazing, especially with jazz recordings which are revealing details that never appeared with the Fiio E7. I am very pleased. I think that I will continue with the 6922 tube that came with the unit and see how it burns in.

May 15, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #1,809 of 8,309
Thought you might like to see a closeup of the tubes I have.. there's a CCCP logo to the right of the rocket you can't see.. this one I think I rubbed it off because it's not there.  I gave them another try and they still sound horrible.  it's like it's 8 bit 11khz music and dubstep beats sound like dubstep farts.  The tube says 6H23N rocket logo X-71 and some have a CCCP shield to the right of the rocket.  full pic http://i.imgur.com/jKQWfuo.jpg
edit:  these are not New Old Stock, they're used which may account for the awful sound

May 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,810 of 8,309
After cyrllic latin converstation try-outs, I ended buying 6N1P-EB Voskhod (rocket logo) tubes with OTK-1 marking from the '70s. I guess these are 6H1N-EV in cyrllic, but I'm not sure anymore ...

"E" military standard (up to 5000 hours and more)
"B" aka "V" stands for improved Tubes (double mica, thick glass, good pins - molybdenum)
OTK-1 = For military equipment

Things that makes me wonder is the differences in key values. Will these make a huge difference in "buffer" usage? 

6N1P: Uf = 6.3 V, If = 600 mA, µ = 35, Ia = 7.5 mA, S = 4.35 mA/V, Pa = 2.2 W

6DJ8/ECC88: Uf = 6.3 V, If = 365 mA, µ = 33, Ia = 15 mA, S = 12,5 mA/V, Pa = 1,8 W

Quote:
According to Wikipedia 6N1P is a far relative to the 6DJ8. It has been tried in the T1 but not with any good results. The 6N32P from Voskhod (rocket logo) is a better alternative as first tube

So, it seems that they work, but not with good results and I should have opted 6n23p-eb instead ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the 6n23p-eb and it's pretty solid as long as it's cheap. Like, $10 or less cheap. Any more than that, you might as well search for a amperex orange globe. You can pick one up for around $20/each on ebay if you're patient.

for better sound ...

Quote:
I gave them another try and they still sound horrible. The tube says 6H23N rocket logo X-71 and some have a CCCP shield to the right of the rocket.  

or not depending on individual taste. Oh well, not a huge monetary loss, four units less than $20 including shipping.

May 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #1,811 of 8,309
I think uncola just have tubes that have gone bad. Remainds me of my two bad PCC189 Mullard`s (I also have 1 that is working great). 

I don`t understand why are you so after those 6H1N-EV / 6N1P-EB tubes? Especially if it`s commented that 6N23P is better? It`s also cheap tube.
Or just go for Amperex orange / Mullard ECC88 or cheaper alternatives Philips PCC189 / Ultron PCC189. 

e: Where are you living? FI means Finland? If Finland, then order from uraltone.com some cheap Ultron PCC189`s.

May 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #1,813 of 8,309
Quote:
I think uncola just have tubes that have gone bad. Remainds me of my two bad PCC189 Mullard`s (I also have 1 that is working great). 

I don`t understand why are you so after those 6H1N-EV / 6N1P-EB tubes? Especially if it`s commented that 6N23P is better? It`s also cheap tube.
Or just go for Amperex orange / Mullard ECC88 or cheaper alternatives Philips PCC189 / Ultron PCC189. 

e: Where are you living? FI means Finland? If Finland, then order from uraltone.com some cheap Ultron PCC189`s.

I pressed the "buy" button, before I saw the comments about 6N23P is better. So, that ship sailed ...

I read that "PCC189 has a 7,6V serial connection heater and is a variable mu valve for regulated tuner inputs. If used in line level amps, it will produce lots of odd harmonic distortion. Not recommended.". PCC88 would be closer equavalent wtih ECC88/6DJ8. So, we are back in my question "Does these little differences really matter in "buffer" usage?

Anyways, I'm planning to visit Uraltone in near future.

May 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,814 of 8,309
Quote:
Anyways, I'm planning to visit Uraltone in near future.

Let me know if they have gold label ultrons or ultrons with proper factory codes.

May 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,815 of 8,309
Quote:
Thought you might like to see a closeup of the tubes I have.. there's a CCCP logo to the right of the rocket you can't see.. this one I think I rubbed it off because it's not there.  I gave them another try and they still sound horrible.  it's like it's 8 bit 11khz music and dubstep beats sound like dubstep farts.  The tube says 6H23N rocket logo X-71 and some have a CCCP shield to the right of the rocket.  full pic http://i.imgur.com/jKQWfuo.jpg
edit:  these are not New Old Stock, they're used which may account for the awful sound

For the sake of comparison:

Not the best photo I know, but my rockets have small ufo getter, rocket logo on top followed by 6n23p (in russian) and 9202 (numeral production code of some sort). You must have defect tubes because my rockets sound very good. The bass feels slightly bloated at times but not farty at all.

E: No CCCP logos here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back