Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 30, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,381 of 8,309
Since it`s hard to google for you, let me enlighten you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube#History_and_development

Btw, after having listen with Ultron PCC189 & Amperex GAC for longer period, switched to Mullard ECC88 and it "sucks" compared to GAC & Ultron. Salvatore, I think I will order 2 or 3 Ultrons instead JJ. I`m still going to buy A-frame orange from you.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #1,382 of 8,309
Probably wise. Especially since those ultrons are dirt cheap. It's nice that you can take one of those A-frames. I really only need like 2-3 spares, but got mad for losing so many auctions and got the quad :D

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,383 of 8,309
Quote:
BluesDaddy, can you tell in detail whats the difference between GAC and A-Frame? Glad I have GAC already.
About Ultron, since you said that Mullard ECC88 & GAC are your favs, then it should not disappoint you I belive. But you`ll hear it soon.

It's hard to describe, but the A frame just doesn't have the "body" that the other two have. While it is very detailed and sounds quite nice, the mids aren't as forward as the GAC or Mullard. After listening to either of those, the A frame just sounds a bit lifeless. Still, when compared to the other lesser tubes, it sounds pretty good.  As always, YMMV.  Looking forward to getting the Ultron. It should complete my collection - unless something dirt chirp comes up as a "giant killer".  I want to spend some money on a new cartridge for the Technics sl-1200 MK2 I just got!!
L3000.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,384 of 8,309
This is a very good point.  Mine should be made in one of the Mullard plants. The dutch tubes do seem to be, on the whole, better in the mids.
Quote:
The A-frame bluesdaddy has is not comparable since it's made in Britain. I'm pretty sure the Dutch GAC and A-frame are identical. So who ever is looking for those A-frames be sure to check both the color and the text of the logo. You should be looking for orange print and made in Holland text.

In this example photo the first two tubes are the "good stuff" and the third one is that inferior British made Amperex.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #1,385 of 8,309
I did get down to the PO this morning and pick up my package from Russia. While I did get two tubes, I have no idea whether I got ripped off or not as there are absolutely NO markings on either tube.  These were supposed to be 6N3Ps, rocket logo Voskhods but who knows?  However, I am listening to one now and after only five minutes playing Bill Evans it sounds pretty good. A nice, lively tube.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,386 of 8,309
Quote:
Looking forward to getting the Ultron. It should complete my collection - unless something dirt chirp comes up as a "giant killer".

Belive it or not, at least for me, Ultron PCC189 seems to be dirt cheap "giant killer" ;P

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #1,387 of 8,309
So I have been drooling over this T1 amp since christmas and I was just about to pull the trigger.  But I just hit a snag: I just figured out that if I run my ipod to the amp via the line out I won't actually be using the tube part of the amp?

What  is it that all you guys are running to your T1's?  Don't most things like CD players etc plug into the RCA jacks and not the USB port on the T1? (excuse my noobishness)

Is there any know way to hook my iod up to the usb jack on the T1 so I would be using the tube?

Thanks

Steve

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #1,388 of 8,309
So I have been drooling over this T1 amp since christmas and I was just about to pull the trigger.  But I just hit a snag: I just figured out that if I run my ipod to the amp via the line out I won't actually be using the tube part of the amp?

What  is it that all you guys are running to your T1's?  Don't most things like CD players etc plug into the RCA jacks and not the USB port on the T1? (excuse my noobishness)

Is there any know way to hook my iod up to the usb jack on the T1 so I would be using the tube?

Thanks

Steve

It's a tubeDAC + ss amp. Not a tube amp. very different things. we run it via usb. if you want just an amp, might I suggest the bravo or project sunrise. I think it's in the same price range.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #1,389 of 8,309
Mar 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,391 of 8,309
You have to order at least for 50€ + posting is about 20€. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,393 of 8,309
Is there any downside to leaving the amp on all day and only turning it off when I sleep/leave the house?
also if anyone else is impatiently waiting for their t1 to ship from china, I found the gain settings on another site.. it has 0, 10 and 16 db gain settings.. I guess with my 50 and 12 ohm headphones I'd just set it on 0.. I'm plugged directly into a hifimediy sabre dac and there's no headroom for the volume.. I use it at like 80% in windows so I can't wait for the t1 to arrive

my headphones are sennheiser hd595 50ohm 112db sensitivity and sony mdr-ma900 12ohm 104 dB/mW

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,394 of 8,309
it's just a ss amp if you don't plug in via usb. it's a tube DAC. Not tube amp. Misread. lol You burn out the tube if you leave it on.

Is there any downside to leaving the amp on all day and only turning it off when I sleep/leave the house?
also if anyone else is impatiently waiting for their t1 to ship from china, I found the gain settings on another site.. it has 0, 10 and 16 db gain settings.. I guess with my 50 and 12 ohm headphones I'd just set it on 0.. I'm plugged directly into a hifimediy sabre dac and there's no headroom for the volume.. I use it at like 80% in windows so I can't wait for the t1 to arrive

my headphones are sennheiser hd595 50ohm 112db sensitivity and sony mdr-ma900 12ohm 104 dB/mW

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #1,395 of 8,309
Does the dac still function if you don't have a tube plugged in? Never had a tube anything before so this is new to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back