Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #1,366 of 8,309
Quote:
AMPEREX, PHILIPS, MAZDA and other Holland/France/Belgium made NOS: These tubes are a great balance of a clean, airy top end, nice midrange warmth, and accurate bass. They are very pleasant, clean, and musical to listen to in hi-fi applications. 

Honestly, don`t really know if my Dario is made in France, Belgium, Holland (or even USA?)... but this description also goes for my Miniwatt-Dario PCC189. As far as I have gone with my research about this tube, most likely it`s still France made. Anyway, great tube! :wink:

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,367 of 8,309
Just rolled in my Amperex orange globe and wooow. Definitely helps with the mids on the DT880s. Pushes them forward and warms them up a bit. Definitely better than the 2 Russians that I have. Going to let them burn in a bit more but I'm definitely liking it a lot. Now I want back ups... lol 
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,368 of 8,309
Hopefully will get A-frame Amperex Orange from Salvatore, so I could compare it with GAC coded single leg dimple orange :wink:

Btw, had more listen to my Brimar ECC88 (with "cup"-getter design) and it`s nothing special, actually even 6N23P sounds better. I don`t know... seems just that brimar tubes won`t "fit" for Aune T1, at least those 2 different brimars I have.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,369 of 8,309
Quote:
Quote:

The line in is, well, line level.  AFAICT, you need a phone preamp between your turn table and the Aune.

Just to confirm:  Can you hear headphones with your turntable connected to the line in?

Yes I do have a phono preamp connected to the Line in of the Aune. But I can only hear it through the headphone out and not the line out. Line out is always playing from USB in regardless of the switch.

I guess this is how the Aune T1 operates then.

I guess so.  I haven't tried it and did not know.  I suppose it makes some sense as the line out is not volume controlled.  Anyhow, it is kinda of annoying, as you have to plug and unplug if you want your line in to go elsewhere.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #1,371 of 8,309
So, I got the GE tube.  First impressions are excellent.  It *very* smooth and relax, with great dynamics.  Vocals are superb.

I'm traveling tomorrow, but when I get back, I'll do a detail comparison against my Amperex.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,372 of 8,309
I`ve been burining in my Ultron PCC189 quite a while now and after listening following music...

TOOL - Lateralus FLAC
TOOL - 10000 Days FLAC
Karnivool - Sound Awake FLAC
Dead Letter Circus - This is The Warning FLAC
Tesseract - One 320kbps

...and switching between Amperex GAC, I´ve come to conclusion that Ultron SQ PCC189/7ES8 (DJF V3B, Bharat India, gold label) is better for rock/metal/progressive music.
Ultron SQ PCC189 has tighter, punchier and more accurate bass/percussion, more transparent and better layered soundstage with littlebit more air, better instrument separation. Mids and vocals are also great!  I`m thinking stocking up on Ultron SQ PCC189 rather than chasing any more tubes. JJ E88CC + Amperex A-frame orange will be my last two "new" tubes. After that I`m done, period. < update about strikeout - I have now GA8, GAE and GAG coded A-frame Amperex Heerlen tubes and GAC is still better than those. Probably not going to get JJ E88CC because there are much more cheaper and intresting tubes to explore :wink:

Update:
Miniwatt-Dario PCC189 (Heerlen, yellow "shield" logo, note- I have 2 of those with different codes and they sound different, will add better tube code later) and Miniwatt-Dario ECC189 (Chartres France, yellow "shield" logo, note - I have 5 of those and they sound same) and Siemens PCC189 (IP1 B7C3, Blackburn, note - this is my only siemens that seems to be made actually by Mullard Blackburn england according to code) - those 3 are still my best overall tubes for every genre... 

JAN Sylvania 6922 (for vocal filled electronic) and Miniwatt-Dario ECC189 (tightest & low bass out of my tubes) for electronic music.

rock/metal/progressive/jazz - Ultron SQ PCC189/7ES8 (DJF V3B, Bharat India, gold label) or Amperex 6DJ8 (GAC ⊿9F3, single support leg dimpled disc getter, orange globe logo) or Siemens PCC88/7DJ8 (‡2J).

Best bang-for-a-buck tube for those who have thin wallets and don`t want to spend time on rolling cheaper tubes - Philips PCC189 Heerlen is way to go imo: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/1410#post_9323568

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #1,373 of 8,309
I run mine at the 24/96k setting.
Quote:
I just got my T1 yesterday and I have now conneted it to my work computer and my K550s. (I'm new to good headphones, and this is my first headphone amp)

I just wonder about one thing (or really I wonder about a lot of things, but I'll start with this...): Which setting should I use for the Default Format in the setting for the playback device?
My first instinct says: "Max It!",  but really i just play Spotify 320kb/s and CDs ripped with Apple Lossless. I can hear a slight diffenece in the sound on some songs. Using the highest setting the sound is a bit more open? 

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #1,374 of 8,309
Quote:
Hopefully will get A-frame Amperex Orange from Salvatore, so I could compare it with GAC coded single leg dimple orange :wink:

Btw, had more listen to my Brimar ECC88 (with "cup"-getter design) and it`s nothing special, actually even 6N23P sounds better. I don`t know... seems just that brimar tubes won`t "fit" for Aune T1, at least those 2 different brimars I have.

I have both and the A-frame is no where near the GAC, IMO. The Mullard I have is the only thing that touches, or betters, it. I prefer whichever of those I happen to be listening to at the moment.  I haven't gotten my Ultron yet, so that will be a fun comparison.

On a side note, my Voskhods finally made it to my house yesterday BUT....require a signature and so are sitting at the local USPS office. I will have to get there tomorrow to pick them up. So, from the placing of my order on 2/23 to arrival on 3/28 - 33 days. And the VAST majority of that was inside Russia. Have I mentioned that I will never order from Russia again?

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,375 of 8,309
BluesDaddy, can you tell in detail whats the difference between GAC and A-Frame? Glad I have GAC already.
About Ultron, since you said that Mullard ECC88 & GAC are your favs, then it should not disappoint you I belive. But you`ll hear it soon.

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #1,376 of 8,309
The A-frame bluesdaddy has is not comparable since it's made in Britain. I'm pretty sure the Dutch GAC and A-frame are identical. So who ever is looking for those A-frames be sure to check both the color and the text of the logo. You should be looking for orange print and made in Holland text.

In this example photo the first two tubes are the "good stuff" and the third one is that inferior British made Amperex.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,377 of 8,309
I have an amperex orange label "PQ" 6922 but it seems rare ? Anybody else has one of these ?  

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,378 of 8,309
Quote:
The A-frame bluesdaddy has is not comparable since it's made in Britain. I'm pretty sure the Dutch GAC and A-frame are identical. So who ever is looking for those A-frames be sure to check both the color and the text of the logo. You should be looking for orange print and made in Holland text.

In this example photo the first two tubes are the "good stuff" and the third one is that inferior British made Amperex.

Thanks for clearing that out! Just to be sure, A-frame I´m going to buy from you is Dutch?

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,379 of 8,309
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that out! Just to be sure, A-frame I´m going to buy from you is Dutch?

Yes. At least he sold them as Holland Amperex (100% seller with 7500+ feedbacks). It was this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amperex-Holland-A-Frame-6DJ8-ECC88-dimpled-disc-getter-strong-matched-quad-/160992730854?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252B%252B%252BJ9Pq7QFeWIWEWSYMh9%252FHj5Uk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The prints are almost gone but there are small fractions of the prints visible. If the seller includes the test results I can send you the one with the best results + prints visible. If I notice them to be something else than stated in the item listing, I'm going to be furious to the seller of course. I'll also immediately check that they all sound the same = great. Don't worry I won't be sending ****ty tubes to you. If I'm not satisfied with them personally I'll contact the seller to resolve the issue.

E: bluesdaddy what factory codes does your A-frame carry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back