Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #633 of 8,309
Quote:
Does anyone know how the Aune T1 compares to O2/ODAC, or Magni/Modi combo?

See the Headphonia review of the Magni and Modi and the comments bellow it. It directly compares the T1 to the Schiit stack. Just make sure you take it with a grain of salt as usual :wink:. If you want a made in the USA product and you like the M&M look, go for it. If you want to experiment with tubes, go for the T1. If you want to be able to carry your stuff with your laptop (battery), go the O2 route.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #635 of 8,309
Everyone keeps on citing that same article. Ideally you'd not rely on a single testimonial. Wish there were more comparisons of the Aune T1 to other amps instead of 43 pages of tube switching -_-

43 pages or 86 pages - you will have to stop reading eventually and start doing.

I was very close to getting a Magni/Modi stack, but the personal aspect of tubes changed my mind. After a couple days of getting to know the T1, I'm happy I did.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #636 of 8,309
Quote:
Everyone keeps on citing that same article. Ideally you'd not rely on a single testimonial. Wish there were more comparisons of the Aune T1 to other amps instead of 43 pages of tube switching -_-

Well in such amp comparison the tube would affect the outcome. I, for example, did some E17-T1 comparison but this was with 6922EH tube and the results are hence very situational. For real comparison one should use multiple tubes. By reading those dedicated threads you get the idea how the amp should sound. With T1 you can try to find get the desired coloration via tubes while O2 should be natural sounding amp. T1 is good looking good value for money amp/dac combo, which has enough juice to power even the high impedance cans. Basic signature is warmish, but apparently not as warm as some dedicated tube amps (I'm only speculating here though since I haven't tested too many tube amps). With tube rolling you can try tuning the sound towards your liking. With 160 euros this product comes recommended even for blind buy (remember that this is both amp and dac. You can later get better amp and use this as dac only). I wasn't overly excited when compared T1 against E17, but I'm certain that with right tube I'll get closer to the sound I'm after. My other options were O2 or M-stage. Couldn't decide the dac part so got this T1 combo instead. I'm quite happy, but at this point it's all about finding the tube with best synergy with my K702 annies. Annies are somewhat warmer than the standard K702s so I would prefer some vocal clarity  / treble emphasis. This I could get by EQing my E17. E17, however, was inferior in some other aspects. Hopefully some day I'll get to try the O2. I guess what I'm trying to say is that tube comparison is huge part of evaluating this product. This being said I wouldn't mind reading amp comparisons more.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #637 of 8,309

I've seen comparisons between e17, m/m, e10, o2/odac & others in this thread, not just tubes -- otoh at this stage in the discussion other than tube comparisons what else sets the aune apart from the other amps at this price point top be honest? I don't say that as if I am hating on the aune or anything, it's beautiful kit and I love mine ... it's just tubes are what sets it apart and not much else.

I would like to see how it compared to something like the WA7 though :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #638 of 8,309
Anyone planning to open the beast and change headamp NE5532 and DAC OPA2134 opamps? And if to do that, what would be better alternative?

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #640 of 8,309
Don`t know about it, thats why I`m asking. Can anyone else comment? 

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #642 of 8,309
I didn`t took it as worthless opinion :wink: But since you are not 100% sure about it then would like second opinion. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #644 of 8,309
Ummm... Aune :)

I like most people bought the unit and ended up with the 6922-EH Electro-Harmonix from Russia. Then again, it probably was because I didn't know a thing about it and took the lunge with having minimal experience in the audio arena :p So far so good, and I can't wait to explore different tubes :D

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #645 of 8,309
I received a Telefunken PCC189 today, a very cheap tube that is mostly compatible with the ECC88 but has not been fully explored by enthusiasts yet, which leads to very cheap prices. To me this tube is just as as open as the Telefunken E88CC variant. The bass is not as nice yet, but it may need to open up a bit since it is brand new NOS stock. If you can get your hands on some high quality PCC189, go for it. 100% compatible with the Aune. They are supposed to run at double voltage than a ECC88, but they work just fine. I noticed no drawbacks yet whatsoever. For the €7 I spent for this it is by far the best deal I got on a NOS tube in terms of bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back