Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #436 of 8,309
Suitable headphone Impedance : 30ohm~600ohm
Headphone Amp output : (biggest is 20V) 32ohm--1000MW ,120ohm--400MW ,300ohm--150MW
Line out insider impedance : 100ohm
Headphone amp insider impedance :10ohm

There should not be any problems driving Fidelio X1`s.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #437 of 8,309
Does that 10 ohm value mean the actual output impedance is also 10 ohms? If that is the case this might be a bad choice for my X1. I notice significant difference when using a 0.2 Ohm cable on my X1 instead of the 1.7 Ohm cable that came with them. So I guess that could only mean upgrading to the T1 would worsen the situation for me. The only way to find out would be by testing some different gear, but I don't have the opportunity right now.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #438 of 8,309
Some impressions on what I rolled through the Aune T1 so far:

SIEMENS E88CC - German Military (BWB) Selected Stock
Gold pins, Halo Getter

I read a lot about these Siemens tubes. A lot of people seem to be very fond of it. To my surprise it turned out to be my least favorite one so far. It does not sound much like an improvement over the stock 6922EH that came with the Aune. Since this came from a sealed NOS stock - maybe it needs burning in? Maybe I got the wrong version? Maybe my ears are just not good enough? Right now it sounds a bit muddy and dull, while a bit warmer than the 6922EH. I will get back to this again in a few weeks and give this some burn in.

Telefunken E88CC
Gold pins, Halo getter

Unlike with the Siemens above, I got exactly what I expected from the hype around this tube. Clear soundstage and a very open and rich sound. With my HE-400 it may already be a bit too bright for my taste.

PHILIPS MINIWATT E88CC SQ SPECIAL QUALITY
Gold pins, Halo getter. While the label claims "Made in Holland" it was actually made by Mullard in their Mitcham military factory in the UK.

By far my favorite tube to go with the Aune. It is almost as clear as the Telefunken but just a slight bit warmer, smoother. Vocals sound more pronounced. Highs and lows are slightly rolled off and not as sharp as on the Telefunken. Maybe too much for some - but perfect for me and my HE-400. I love this tube and it is what I use for listening most of the time now.

I found this one locally for a laughable price of €5. Looking to get some backup stock on eBay it turns out that it is apparently one of the most sought after Mullard tubes made. eBay prices seem to reach up to well over $150-200. Well damn. I am almost too afraid to "use it up" now. I hope I can find some more.

AEG E88CC - German Military (BWB) Selected Stock
Gold pins, Dimpled plate getter. AEG label, made by Mullard in the UK.

Another tube I got from the same German military stock where I got the Siemens from. As it turns out it was also made by Mullard in the same factory as my Philips Miniwatt above. As a result it sounds almost exactly the same with slightly more clouded instrument separation and overall a bit less smooth. This probably needs some burn in. I will get back to it later.

In summary - I seem to be very fond of the British Mullard sound. I will try to get my hands on some more Mullard tubes to see how they compare, but so far they are my clear favorites.

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #439 of 8,309
Thanks for info tomatolicious! Damn, I´m pissed off atm that I didn`t buy another 69´ Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 dimple disc single leg tube!  -.- They are freaking rare and sound just fantastic with metal/rock! I have never enjoyed Marylin Manson like this before! If someone doesn`t like that tube, I`m willing to buy it from him/her! Well, I hope that Mullard will sound close to it or better because its more widely available.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #440 of 8,309
I believe output impedance is 10 ohm. I'm on my phone so it's not easy to check right now.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #442 of 8,309
Mine had UK plug + adapter for EU plug. Also I got better thicker and shorter black USB cable with golden tips. Depends on distributor. 

What the hey...I bought it.

My first tube. 
beerchug.gif

If you don`t like that Amperex, let me know, will buy it from you!

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #443 of 8,309
Thanks for info tomatolicious! Damn, I´m pissed off atm that I didn`t buy another 69´ Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 dimple disc single leg tube!  -.- They are freaking rare and sound just fantastic with metal/rock! I have never enjoyed Marylin Manson like this before! If someone doesn`t like that tube, I`m willing to buy it from him/her! Well, I hope that Mullard will sound close to it or better because its more widely available.

Did the one I sent you a picture of look like the same thing? If you want to buy it send me a pm.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #444 of 8,309
Quote:
Mine had UK plug + adapter for EU plug. Also I got better thicker and shorter black USB cable with golden tips. Depends on distributor. 

If you don`t like that Amperex, let me know, will buy it from you!

Noted.

My intention is to get around...8 to 10 different tubes as a sort of sample group. I'm going to rotate, listen, and hear what I hear.

My thought is that I will probably find 2 or 3 that I lean towards, and then I'll try and stock some more of those. 

It may be a while, but if does ever need to be sold - you'll be first to know.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #445 of 8,309
Quote:
Did the one I sent you a picture of look like the same thing? If you want to buy it send me a pm.

Like I told you before, we don`t have same tubes, yours has D shaped getter, mine has large dimple disc getter. Thanks for offering though :wink: 

Grevlin, better hope that this dimple disc amperex isn`t one of your favs to back up because it`s VERY hard to find these, unfortunately. And seems I´m not only one searching for these: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=tubes&m=243977

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #446 of 8,309
Quote:
http://www.boiaudioworks.com/6N23P

Get an Amperex 7308 and you can stop there (go for the platinum grade cryo version,)

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Amperex-7308-vintage-gold-pin%21.html

Is there any significant difference between the platinum grade as opposed to the gold one?

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #447 of 8,309
Yeah, the Platinum one tests higher on their tube tester. Cryo treating subjects the tube to extreme cold which may increase its longevity since the internal components have been pre-stressed.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #450 of 8,309
My Aune just came. They send it with 6922EH even it meant to be 6N11 so I have a good start for tube rolling. There is no wall plug(don't know how can I call it, even in my language)...that thing you stick into the wall:). Need to wait till tomorrow, cause all shops are closed now... But I¨m really glad for 6922.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back