Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #286 of 8,309
Quote:

Grevlin, look at page 1 of this thread. Joeq70 already started doing exactly what you are looking for.

Yup - saw that.

I saw like maybe 10 more throughout the thread.

I'm surfing through and bookmarking the purchase sites that I can find.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #287 of 8,309
One thing I can do is that if you guys provide somewhat fleshed-out impressions of the tubes you tried and where you bought them, I will happily add the info to my FAQ with your permission.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #288 of 8,309
Quote:
One thing I can do is that if you guys provide somewhat fleshed-out impressions of the tubes you tried and where you bought them, I will happily add the info to my FAQ with your permission.

I received my Amperex 6922 PQ gold pin yesterday and will give it time on my T1.

I will give my impressions after . I've tested a 6N27p , a 6N23P-eb reflektor , a Mullard 7DJ8 and now this Amperex both with my Sig pro and my he-400 .

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #289 of 8,309
Quote:

I received my Amperex 6922 PQ gold pin yesterday and will give it time on my T1.

I will give my impressions after . I've tested a 6N27p , a 6N23P-eb reflektor , a Mullard 7DJ8 and now this Amperex both with my Sig pro and my he-400 .

And whats your impressions, the more detail the better?

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #290 of 8,309
Quote:
And whats your impressions, the more detail the better?

For my tastes and my headphones, my best is until now the Mullard 6DJ8: Neutral, clear and brings my cans mids to their best without any damage to bass and trebles. but I haven't spent engouh time with each tube to have a definitive opinion.  Amperex 6922 seems a bit brighter than the Mullard but very pleasant to my ears too ... I only have 8 or 9 hours with it so i can really conclude.

I bought all these tube on ebay except the 6N23P. I purchased it to Mike the big chief of Rock Grotto .

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #292 of 8,309
Quote:
Then that Mullard seems a good option for my X1 with his recessed mids. can you give me a link to the tube or the name of the seller? Thanx :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC88-6DJ8-MULLARD-NOS-/310512880990?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item484c028d5e

beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #293 of 8,309
Has anyone tried or made a high quality power supply for the T1?

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #294 of 8,309
Quote:
Has anyone tried or made a high quality power supply for the T1?

Liz, have a look here:http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=8297&page=1

Besides that the whole thread is an interesting read about the T1, tube rolling and British humor in general, Mike the moderator (PinkFloyd) mentions that he builds quality PSU's for Musical Fidelity tube amps. Somewhere in that thread I think I read that he is contemplating adapting one of his "Pinkies" specifically for the T1.  

As a side note, I am liking the Genalex Gold Lion tube more and more...

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #295 of 8,309
Just received the Amperex 7308 at work, can't wait to get home.   I'll do a writeup after I've had an hour or two to run some tunes through it.

I picked up the one here:  http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Amperex-7308-vintage-gold-pin%21.html with the Platinum and Cryo options.

The ECC88 variants I ordered from Israel should hopefully be waiting for me when I get home too 
size]

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #296 of 8,309
Quote:
Just received the Amperex 7308 at work, can't wait to get home.   I'll do a writeup after I've had an hour or two to run some tunes through it.

I picked up the one here:  http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Amperex-7308-vintage-gold-pin%21.html with the Platinum and Cryo options.

The ECC88 variants I ordered from Israel should hopefully be waiting for me when I get home too 
size]

I eagerly await your impressions! I'll get to hear mine on Sunday.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #297 of 8,309
Sharing some impressions with tubes. HP`s used for listening test: Superlux HD-681 (mkII filter) & HD-662F (custom filter)

[size=small]Electro-Harmonix 6922-EH [/size]
I like this tube very much and if you don`t bother to mess with tubes, then its good to go as "stock". It has wide spacious soundstage. Well spread out instruments and easy to concentrate on details. Great sence of air. Has more highs and bass depth/reverb than 6N23P. Great tube for towards "fun" sounding HP`s like HD-681 for longer music listening sessions.
Great with different genres but better for electronic music. 

Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 (1969, GAC, large dimple disc getter on a single leg support, NOS)

[size=small]Similiar to 6922EH. Both have wide soundstage, airy sound, very well spread out instruments and easy to concentrate on certain details/instruments. Amperex has less highs and bass is more tight, making it littlebit less airy. More life in mids, bringing vocals more into "sight". I personally find this tube better for rock/metal than 6922EH but sounds great with different genres and is good also good with flat sounding HP`s.[/size]

6N23P (Reflektor logo, from Mike @ rockgrotto)
Has narrower soundstage than tubes mentioned before and instruments are less separated. Less air, space and more foward sounding. Good tube for flat sounding monitoring cans. Personally I prefer Amperex with HD-662F for music listening. For studio monitoring 6N23P is propably better.

[size=x-small]Brimar ECC88/6DJ8 (late 70´, round large halo getter, "cinemascope" logo)[/size][size=small][/size]

[size=small]Not good with Aune T1. It is quite bright and narrow sounding, dry, no liveness, bass is lost.[/size]

[size=x-small]Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 (1972, made in Hungary, NOS)[/size][size=small][/size]

[size=small]This tube is very similiar to 6922EH. It is hard to compare those 2 and find differences. All I could figure out with my ears is that b[/size][size=small]oth tubes have exactly the same soundstage, space and instrument separation. [/size]
[size=small]With 6922EH there is tinybit more bright top-end and thus makes 6922EH only fraction more airy/detail.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Bass is littlebit more punchy and tighter on Tungsram but again, only a fraction.[/size]
[size=x-small]Atm, for me, it`s the best tube for HD-681 (mkII).[/size]

Overall, for me, the best tube for different genres & cans is [size=small]Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8.[/size]
[size=small]Will make more comparing between Amperex and Tungsram later.[/size]

[size=small]Also ordered one Tesla PCC88/7DJ8 (NOS, Yellow 32 Factory Code for Tesla Rožnov n.p. Závod Vrchlabí plant)[/size]
[size=small]Will update soon.[/size]

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #298 of 8,309
Well, the ECC88s did not show up today, much to my disappointment.   However, the 7308 did show up today and as promised I have some impressions to share.

As you can see in my sig, I've become pretty attached to the rocket logo 6N23P.   It is a good tube, and it also has price going for it.  I paid $17 for the rocket logo, whereas the 7308 cost me about $95 + shipping.   The 7308 I bought was a platinum grade tube (added $10 to the $80 list price) & it was cryo treated (added another $5).   With tax/shipping it came out to $115.   $115 is obviously a lot more $$ than $17 so keep this in mind when you decide what tube is best for you.

Right away, even in the first second of starting a track, you can tell immediately that the 7308 is a MUCH better tube than the Russian tubes.   It retains the wonderful warmth of the rocket logo tube, but adds to it a level of clarity and detail from the bass to the uppermost treble.  

On the subject of detail, it's really stunning ... I can hear fingers brushing strings, the creak of chairs in the studio, it is so revealing in fact that lower quality rips that would have sounded OK with the rocket tube sound a little less good on this tube (note to self:  re-encode those 160Kbps mp3s).  

As far as actual sound, everything is there -- the bass is liquid yet refined, mids are smooth and full and the treble is beautiful and not tiresome at all.  

Sound stage with this tube is as close to perfect as you can expect from a $200 amp & $400 set of cans, I feel like I am listening to something much more expensive.

So I think this one is a keeper, and it will be my primary tube going forward.   Was it worth $100 more than the rocket tube?   I'm going to say yes, but if you're on a budget you can skip this upgrade without missing too much (but you'll be missing something).

Hopefully the ECC88s come tomorrow so I can compare.   I'm going to go lose myself in music now 
atsmile.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #299 of 8,309
Quote:
Well, the ECC88s did not show up today, much to my disappointment.   However, the 7308 did show up today and as promised I have some impressions to share.

As you can see in my sig, I've become pretty attached to the rocket logo 6N23P.   It is a good tube, and it also has price going for it.  I paid $17 for the rocket logo, whereas the 7308 cost me about $95 + shipping.   The 7308 I bought was a platinum grade tube (added $10 to the $80 list price) & it was cryo treated (added another $5).   With tax/shipping it came out to $115.   $115 is obviously a lot more $$ than $17 so keep this in mind when you decide what tube is best for you.

Right away, even in the first second of starting a track, you can tell immediately that the 7308 is a MUCH better tube than the Russian tubes.   It retains the wonderful warmth of the rocket logo tube, but adds to it a level of clarity and detail from the bass to the uppermost treble.  

On the subject of detail, it's really stunning ... I can hear fingers brushing strings, the creak of chairs in the studio, it is so revealing in fact that lower quality rips that would have sounded OK with the rocket tube sound a little less good on this tube (note to self:  re-encode those 160Kbps mp3s).  

As far as actual sound, everything is there -- the bass is liquid yet refined, mids are smooth and full and the treble is beautiful and not tiresome at all.  

Sound stage with this tube is as close to perfect as you can expect from a $200 amp & $400 set of cans, I feel like I am listening to something much more expensive.

So I think this one is a keeper, and it will be my primary tube going forward.   Was it worth $100 more than the rocket tube?   I'm going to say yes, but if you're on a budget you can skip this upgrade without missing too much (but you'll be missing something).

Hopefully the ECC88s come tomorrow so I can compare.   I'm going to go lose myself in music now 
atsmile.gif

Ah man!!! You've got me pumped to get mine now!

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #300 of 8,309
Quote:
Ah man!!! You've got me pumped to get mine now!

HA!

I'm making a list of "tubes" before I even order the T1
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back