Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 20, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #256 of 8,309
Hmm so far the RCA labeled Amperex 6dj8/E88cc sounds like the best option for the fidelio x1. Something that brings the mids out a tad.
Does anyone else know what would be a good match with the X1? Maybe the standard tube is the best option?
I have the chance to audition the Shuguang 6N11 amd Philips Miniwatt goldpin E88CC.
Any comments on these tubes? :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #257 of 8,309
@joeq70 - I really appreciate your tube reviews 
smile.gif
  My experience with these so far has left me with the most favorable impression of the rocket logo tube.  I liked the 6N23P-EV but it sounds a bit muddled at low volumes.  The rocket has great synergy with the K 702 65th anniversary cans IMO, it tightens up the soundstage and has an overall taming effect on the analytical edge of AKGs house sound.  Its a good value as well at $17.00. 

I'm still waiting to try the Amperex ECC88.  The two I ordered have the "Bugle Boy" logo though. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #258 of 8,309
@joeq70 : give your impressions on 7308 very quickly !.  I would really know if it worth the price in comparison with a good 7DJ8 :) 

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #259 of 8,309
What is everyone using to hold/store their extra tubes?  Is there like a tube rack that one can buy?  haha

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #260 of 8,309
Quote:
@joeq70 : give your impressions on 7308 very quickly !.  I would really know if it worth the price in comparison with a good 7DJ8 :) 

Sorry for the delay on the impressions. I've made a few orders with upscale audio and have both my school and home addresses on file. I ordered the 7308 to my school address but they accidentally sent it to my house. Therefore, I'll have to wait until next week when I go home to try out the tube.
Quote:
What is everyone using to hold/store their extra tubes?  Is there like a tube rack that one can buy?  haha

Mine are kinda just rolling around loosely on my desk....I'll have to come up with something!

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #262 of 8,309
At that price I would try it.   I picked up one of those Amperex gold pin 7308 tubes last night for an embarrassingly large sum, so I'm going to have to wait until next paycheck to roll more tubes.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #263 of 8,309
I need to wait till my T1 came
biggrin.gif
, I can get these for much less(from local auction house)- last time 5 of them (NOS) went for about $8(actually might be a little different from one I posted). Just asking if they worth shipping and trying:). In Czech Republic Tesla valves were(are) maid, so I will try domestic stuff for sure.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #264 of 8,309
Yeah, try it out.   If you are willing to ship one to the US I would be interested in one if you can pick up an extra?   I can paypal you some cash 
smile.gif
  Send me a PM if that would be OK.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #265 of 8,309
Will see. I don't have T1 neither tubes. Still:). From what I've red(no experiences with tubes or even headamps) I expect 6N1P be not worth write home about, and Tesla good or decent but not top-notch. You can get tesla ecc88 from here: http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/NOS-Treasures/Tesla-E88CC-6922-Gold-Pin (in CR it's about $10-$15 but not so easy to find-at least for me- and shipping might erase most of price differences...and I don't like to be architect of your disappointment:)). There's also a "new" post-Tesla production but it seems that these new ones are not so refined and solid made (check this if you're interested http://www.jacmusic.com/tesla/tesla-jj.html ).

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #267 of 8,309
I'm considering giving the T1 a try vs. my current setup, which is a Titanium HD > Schiit Magni.  It sounds like a few others have found success pairing with the HE-400, which is primarily what I'd be driving (RMac piqued my interest with his comparison he had forwarded to the HE-400 thread).  It seems the Aune would be prefect for my setup as it appears to have good synergy with the HE-400, and it would be ideal to have a single, all in one unit (that is relatively more portable in comparison).  I've praised the Magni as a small and powerful desktop amp, and it works great for what it does, but if the amp and DAC sections in the T1 are comparable, it almost makes more sense to move to the T1.  I also run a pair of Audioengine A2 out of my soundcard - would it be fine to run them out of the T1?  I think someone might have mentioned this earlier, but I just wanted to make sure if anyone else is running powered desktop speakers out of theirs with success.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #268 of 8,309
I'm considering giving the T1 a try vs. my current setup, which is a Titanium HD > Schiit Magni.  It sounds like a few others have found success pairing with the HE-400, which is primarily what I'd be driving (RMac piqued my interest with his comparison he had forwarded to the HE-400 thread).  It seems the Aune would be prefect for my setup as it appears to have good synergy with the HE-400, and it would be ideal to have a single, all in one unit (that is relatively more portable in comparison).  I've praised the Magni as a small and powerful desktop amp, and it works great for what it does, but if the amp and DAC sections in the T1 are comparable, it almost makes more sense to move to the T1.  I also run a pair of Audioengine A2 out of my soundcard - would it be fine to run them out of the T1?  I think someone might have mentioned this earlier, but I just wanted to make sure if anyone else is running powered desktop speakers out of theirs with success.

Yep you can run your speakers from the T1 no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back