Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #241 of 8,309
Quote:
Got my Aune T1 yesterday, so I will offer my very humble impressions vs. the Fiio E17 and the Schiit Magni & Modi stack.

Fiio E17 - offers the most value but the least performance.  Upside is that it is portable and has hardware EQ. 
The Schiit Magni and Modi - a touch too bright for my taste, and over resolving with some tracks.  Doesn't play well with my indie music.  The stack, while sexy looking, is sort of a hassle (I don't think I'm cut out for separate amps/dacs).
The Aune T1 is "just right".  I've only had it for a day and I'm loving the stock tube right out of the box!  So smooth.  When the tube fully warms up, the tracks melt into my ears like butter.  I haven't even got into tube rolling but if the sound can get better than what I got right now, then I'd say the Aune is a steal.

So in short, Aune > Schiit Magni and Modi > Fiio E17, in terms of performance
Fiio > Aune > Schiit stack in terms of value.

Very nice. I'm glad that I've ordered T1 too. I think a lot of people would appreciate a longer review/comparison with Modi-Magni stack. Thanks.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #243 of 8,309
Well done on the FAQ, thank you very much!

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #244 of 8,309
Anyone from the netherlands or someone near the border of germany who has an Aune T1? :) It'd be really great if I could somehow try the Aune T1. 
If you do, drop me a message we might just work something out :)
Greetings

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #247 of 8,309
Quote:
Do you think pairing the T1 as a USB DAC with a tube amplifier such as the Little Dot MKIII would be a good idea, or would it be over colouration of the original signal? 

I've never tried so I don't know. In my mind, a hybrid setup like the T1 makes a lot of sense but who knows?
Quote:
OP, you're a very responsible thread starter.

Haha thanks I try!

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #248 of 8,309
The prices on ebay confuse me slightly. From AuneAudio themselves, they are almost 40 dollars more expensive than the first result that comes up for me, pbuying.usa. Both models are exactly the same with the same tube, so why such a large gap between a reseller and the manufacturer? Both have free shipping too...

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #249 of 8,309
Quote:
It is pretty explicit in their web materials that the tube only applies to the DAC and has been mentioned a lot. Maybe joeq70 can add this info to the first post though?

I own a T1 and am very happy with it as a dac.  When i bought it i knew the tube wasn't part of the headphone amp section, but the manual it comes with does specifically say "tube headphone amp" in it

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #250 of 8,309
The prices on ebay confuse me slightly. From AuneAudio themselves, they are almost 40 dollars more expensive than the first result that comes up for me, pbuying.usa. Both models are exactly the same with the same tube, so why such a large gap between a reseller and the manufacturer? Both have free shipping too...

Honestly, I have no idea why the price is lower. I mean, I guess the one reseller was willing to undercut the competition so hey might as well save a few bucks. I'd check the seller's ebay rating first though.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #251 of 8,309
Great job on this thread Joe...  Your dedication makes me want to go pull the trigger...I must wait a bit...lol...
beerchug.gif

The Q & A is excellent.  Hope you don't mind, I just copied one of the answers to a thread in the amp sub-forum in reference to the tube...

Keep up the great work...

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #252 of 8,309
One of the questions that I'd like to see on the FAQ is:  How long should you let your tube warm up for peak performance?  Is there any benefit at all to letting the tube warm up a bit before you listen to it?

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #253 of 8,309
Very good job for the Q/A job
beerchug.gif

A few add about tubes:We can use E188CC/7308 tubes wich are often the most appreciated lamp to replace any 6922/6DJ8/E88CC/ECC88 family . Didn't try myself but when I will find a not too expensive one ,i will buy it.  I use a ECC86/6N27P/6GM8 ( http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6n27p.html ) too and it works very well ( rare and cheap NOS tube but a bit more light/refined than 6N23p-EB IMO ) .

Maybe you can add a link :  http://www.hifidiy.net/24-31-1.html

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #254 of 8,309
Quote:
Got my Aune T1 yesterday, so I will offer my very humble impressions vs. the Fiio E17 and the Schiit Magni & Modi stack.

Fiio E17 - offers the most value but the least performance.  Upside is that it is portable and has hardware EQ. 
The Schiit Magni and Modi - a touch too bright for my taste, and over resolving with some tracks.  Doesn't play well with my indie music.  The stack, while sexy looking, is sort of a hassle (I don't think I'm cut out for separate amps/dacs).
The Aune T1 is "just right".  I've only had it for a day and I'm loving the stock tube right out of the box!  So smooth.  When the tube fully warms up, the tracks melt into my ears like butter.  I haven't even got into tube rolling but if the sound can get better than what I got right now, then I'd say the Aune is a steal.

So in short, Aune > Schiit Magni and Modi > Fiio E17, in terms of performance
Fiio > Aune > Schiit stack in terms of value.

It was my feeling when i listen to the T1 for the first time and it's still the case and I confimr it sound Better with upgraded tubes. 

I'm happy to read you because i'm a bit in trouble with he-400 trebles and I was afraid that Aune T1 would be the origin. Your good impressions confirm that it's not the case. 

I tried first to listen to He-400/AuneT1/6n23p-EB combo  but now I changed to my Mullard 6DJ8 and believe me or not but the Mullard seems to do miracles and brings onto the table a bit more mids. And this addition IMO seems to improve a lot my he-400 experience. Maybe my brain or ears are only accustomed but he-400 trebles still hurt me from another source. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #255 of 8,309
Quote:
Great job on this thread Joe...  Your dedication makes me want to go pull the trigger...I must wait a bit...lol...
beerchug.gif

The Q & A is excellent.  Hope you don't mind, I just copied one of the answers to a thread in the amp sub-forum in reference to the tube...

Keep up the great work...

Thanks a lot! You can you use any info I post here however you like, no worries at all.
Quote:
One of the questions that I'd like to see on the FAQ is:  How long should you let your tube warm up for peak performance?  Is there any benefit at all to letting the tube warm up a bit before you listen to it?

I'm not sure actually how much of a difference letting the tubes warm up makes. In my time with the T1 I have listened for long periods and not really noticed any changes in sound.

Quote:

It was my feeling when i listen to the T1 for the first time and it's still the case and I confimr it sound Better with upgraded tubes. 

I'm happy to read you because i'm a bit in trouble with he-400 trebles and I was afraid that Aune T1 would be the origin. Your good impressions confirm that it's not the case. 

I tried first to listen to He-400/AuneT1/6n23p-EB combo  but now I changed to my Mullard 6DJ8 and believe me or not but the Mullard seems to do miracles and brings onto the table a bit more mids. And this addition IMO seems to improve a lot my he-400 experience. Maybe my brain or ears are only accustomed but he-400 trebles still hurt me from another source. 

What you are saying about the Mullard makes a lot of sense. When I tried the HE-400 I forget which tube I preferred honestly, but when you find a tube that matches the rest of your setup perfectly it's an awesome experience for sure!

Also just to let everyone know I posted my tube impressions at the end of the FAQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back