Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #227 of 8,309
I mean I've heard a number of amps and sources in this price range and above. The T1 is the first item other than my headphones that I thought was absolutely worth the money. DT880 sounds great with it by the way.

Wow that is quite high praise! You have definitely helped me make a decision in relation to buying the T1! Is ebay the best/ only place to buy one? :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #228 of 8,309
There are a couple of other online retailers that have it, but I had a good experience with the ebay seller.   They were very friendly, and I got my order really fast.

To start with, I live in Northern California, they are in China.   I ordered it on Thursday night with no expedited shipping and it was in my hands Monday morning.   When I got it I broke the plastic tube covers you may have seen in the pictures accidentally.  I wrote the seller about it on Tuesday and they arrived today, free of charge (not even shipping.)   In my opinion, they went the extra mile for me and they have earned my repeat business.

Seller name is wsz0304, if I were you I'd either buy the least expensive one if you're going to change the tube or the ECC88 one if you don't want to mess with it for a while.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #229 of 8,309
Hi,

I use my T1 as a headphone amp (cinch in) and not as a USB DAC.
I wanted to swap the tube to check the difference in the sound.
By mistake, I swapped with the T1 still on. To my surprise, the audio in my headphones continued without tube. 

I tried the same connected to my Mac on USB: no audio (or at least very low) when no tube was in the socket.
So apparently the tube is not in the audio-path when you use the T1 as a "straight" headphone amp...
A bit disappointing for a "tube" headphone amp, no ???

Anyone else tried this?

Dirk

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #230 of 8,309
Quote:
Hi,

I use my T1 as a headphone amp (cinch in) and not as a USB DAC.
I wanted to swap the tube to check the difference in the sound.
By mistake, I swapped with the T1 still on. To my surprise, the audio in my headphones continued without tube. 

I tried the same connected to my Mac on USB: no audio (or at least very low) when no tube was in the socket.
So apparently the tube is not in the audio-path when you use the T1 as a "straight" headphone amp...
A bit disappointing for a "tube" headphone amp, no ???

Anyone else tried this?

Dirk

This is VERY interesting since this kind of ruins future upgrade plans for me. Hmm. Any toughts?

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #231 of 8,309
Quote:
This is VERY interesting since this kind of ruins future upgrade plans for me. Hmm. Any toughts?

Yes the T1 utilizes the tube only when you are using the USB as a source. So you can go T1 tube DAC via USB >headphones (uses the solid state T1 amp) or you can go T1  tube DAC via USB>any external amp>headphones. Once you are no longer using the USB port, you are no longer using the tube. The tube is where all of the charm of this product lies, so I would upgrade the amp section if anything at all.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #232 of 8,309
This was my plan somewhat:
Get the Aune t1 for my Fidelio X1.
Get the Audiolabs m-dac and connect it to the Aune
[Get a woo audio anything.]
[Get a new headphone.]
[Interchangable]

Well I guess I could still go this way. I'm just a bit disappointed that the tube section is out. The X1's are pretty easy to drive so most of the 'win' comes from the DAC, Or that's what I think. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #233 of 8,309
Aune T1 is interesting as a DAC+ Tube preamp before another amp if anyone wants/needs to upgrade. Without its dac/preamp section, Aune T1 lose much of its interest IMO. 
T1 itself is very good and self sufficient except for very power demanding headphones.  For these cases I'm thinking about adding à more powerful amp and keep Aune T1 as my DAC :wink:

Aune T1 is more a DAC with HEadphone output than an amp with included DAC.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #234 of 8,309
Would you say the DAC on the T1 is the best part, comparable to say spending 200 dollars on a standalone DAC? It would be nice to know I could rely on the DAC element for a long time and perhaps upgrade to a standalone amp down the road!

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #235 of 8,309
Quote:
Would you say the DAC on the T1 is the best part, comparable to say spending 200 dollars on a standalone DAC? It would be nice to know I could rely on the DAC element for a long time and perhaps upgrade to a standalone amp down the road!

It's completely my opinion :wink: . The T1 is a very good dac with added Tube specificities and I presum that upgrading Amp is a VERY interesting way to explore. unfortunately I sold my Asgard but now I would very curious about the association
rolleyes.gif

Maybe I will purchased a used well rated matrix m-stage or such stuff . i've found a used AKG K501 which seems to need power to shine. I don't know if T1"s embededd amp will be sufficient. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #236 of 8,309
Got my Aune T1 yesterday, so I will offer my very humble impressions vs. the Fiio E17 and the Schiit Magni & Modi stack.

Fiio E17 - offers the most value but the least performance.  Upside is that it is portable and has hardware EQ. 
The Schiit Magni and Modi - a touch too bright for my taste, and over resolving with some tracks.  Doesn't play well with my indie music.  The stack, while sexy looking, is sort of a hassle (I don't think I'm cut out for separate amps/dacs).
The Aune T1 is "just right".  I've only had it for a day and I'm loving the stock tube right out of the box!  So smooth.  When the tube fully warms up, the tracks melt into my ears like butter.  I haven't even got into tube rolling but if the sound can get better than what I got right now, then I'd say the Aune is a steal.

So in short, Aune > Schiit Magni and Modi > Fiio E17, in terms of performance
Fiio > Aune > Schiit stack in terms of value.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #237 of 8,309
It is pretty explicit in their web materials that the tube only applies to the DAC and has been mentioned a lot. Maybe joeq70 can add this info to the first post though?

Admittedly the T1 is a one trick pony in this regard, but it does that trick really well.

I am not sure how it would do with the k501s, but my K702s have no problem with 10dB gain added, it is at a very comfortable bordering on loud listening level for me at about 20% on the volume dial.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #238 of 8,309
Quote:
Got my Aune T1 yesterday, so I will offer my very humble impressions vs. the Fiio E17 and the Schiit Magni & Modi stack.

Fiio E17 - offers the most value but the least performance.  Upside is that it is portable and has hardware EQ. 
The Schiit Magni and Modi - a touch too bright for my taste, and over resolving with some tracks.  Doesn't play well with my indie music.  The stack, while sexy looking, is sort of a hassle (I don't think I'm cut out for separate amps/dacs).
The Aune T1 is "just right".  I've only had it for a day and I'm loving the stock tube right out of the box!  So smooth.  When the tube fully warms up, the tracks melt into my ears like butter.  I haven't even got into tube rolling but if the sound can get better than what I got right now, then I'd say the Aune is a steal.

So in short, Aune > Schiit Magni and Modi > Fiio E17, in terms of performance
Fiio > Aune > Schiit stack in terms of value.

Wow, thanks for those impressions. So nice to hear it compared to two others in the same price league. I think a lot of people are still in the honeymoon stage with the Magni/Modi so it's good to hear an honest opinion! 

Quote:

It's completely my opinion :wink: . The T1 is a very good dac with added Tube specificities and I presum that upgrading Amp is a VERY interesting way to explore. unfortunately I sold my Asgard but now I would very curious about the association
rolleyes.gif

Maybe I will purchased a used well rated matrix m-stage or such stuff . i've found a used AKG K501 which seems to need power to shine. I don't know if T1"s embededd amp will be sufficient. 

I have pretty high impedance headphones too so the only thing holding me back from instantly buying the T1, is the amp quality, but if the DAC is good enough on its own, a standalone amp could be the perfect idea. I am right in saying that the tube on the T1 is purely for the DAC and not the amp?

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #239 of 8,309
Quote:

Yes the DAC section is the main event for sure. However, I do find the amp section to be very good...I think it is good enough for most headphones except for very power hungry ones. I'm going to update the first post with some info so people don't have to go looking through the whole thread. Check back there in a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back