Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Nov 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #31 of 8,309
Agree, I an listening to many of my favorite tracks and am somewhat in awe. As noted, I have a new pair of Grado SR225i here too, not everyone's favorite (Grado) but to me, this is pretty darn heavenly. I had the 80s so why not try the 225i? Seems to be a very good match with the T1. Will try some other phones too, but these are my desktop phones cause they are open and I can hear the phone etc.

I may be spending alot more time at my desk in the future. The Arrow/iPos Classic is nice too, but not this nice.I put all my lossless files on JRiver media center, plus all my other music, so lots to hear. Using Wasapi output.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #32 of 8,309
The crazy thing is I have found other Dac/amps that boast some impressive specs for $200 mark but somehow I wonder how much of that is a good thing. This Aune T1 is actually a simple design and it seems AUNE has done an impeccable job of matching the right ics with the tube amp to bring this sound not to mention house everything in a very nice efficient design..So far I am very impressed. It can only sound better from this point out too. I look forward to hearing this after a week of use/ burn in.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #33 of 8,309
Quote:
The crazy thing is I have found other Dac/amps that boast some impressive specs for $200 mark but somehow I wonder how much of that is a good thing. This Aune T1 is actually a simple design and it seems AUNE has done an impeccable job of matching the right ics with the tube amp to bring this sound not to mention house everything in a very nice efficient design..So far I am very impressed. It can only sound better from this point out too. I look forward to hearing this after a week of use/ burn in.

Yeah, I have been living in the $200-$300 price range for a while now and the T1 is the first source/amp where I knew for sure that it was worth every penny. Glad you are enjoying it too!

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #34 of 8,309
Yup this one is a keeper. I was thinking if these didn't sound as good as my Fire Phoenix I was gonna return them to try another one but not so..I can see me using this set up for a while until I get another itch that is. But for now I am glad your enthusiastic OP got me to throw the cash for these. At first I didn't know what DAC chip they was using. Turns out to be a burr brown PCM1793..

Funny thing is I have a burr brown PCM1794 in my Titanium HD card.. This T1 sounds better in every way to it though.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #35 of 8,309
Quote:

*snip*
I can only say that I am blown away. I was using the UD100/CmoyBB combo, which was nice, very nice. But the T1 is better. I sent away for a Monoprice cable to use as a line out from the UD100 DAC, just to see which DAC I prefer. I do have some 24/96 files, which the UD100 does not play at full rez. I also ordered the HiFiMeDiy DAC (same as UD100 but with 24/96) and will try that too.
*snip*

So, which DAC would you prefer?

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #36 of 8,309
Can't say yet because I didn't have a good cable for the UD100 vs. the T1 dac. Will do another listen when the cable arrives. I had an 3.5 adapter and an old RCA cable, but it was inelegant at best.So I plan on trying again with the Monoprice cable. 

If you mean UN100/Cmoy vs. T1, I much prefer the latter.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #37 of 8,309
Well currently I'm running the T1 through UD100 instead of the internal DAC with a standard RCA - Mini jack. I much prefer the UD100, one of the reasons is that its louder than the internal DAC and I cannot detect any loss of resolution from my 24 bit songs.

When you get your cable, can you try and repeat my impressions? I don't have much of a critical/golden ear.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #38 of 8,309
you try setting your gain higher? The switches on the bottom? The T1 can get crazy loud. Take a pen or something that can turn on the switch on the bottom just the left one up to on. On both set of switches. Or turn all of it on for max gain. Mine came in box with both switches to on and I didn't even have to turn up the volume nob to 1/4 and it was blaring loud using my HD595. Too loud actually. I actually turned off the gain altogether. Plenty loud for me with no gain.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #39 of 8,309
I think I'll jump in on this, got a good feeling about this judging by all your comments. It will be my first tupe amp...I'm excited!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #41 of 8,309
It is a very good looking bit of kit.

I am thinking of swapping from my Fiio E7/E9 set-up to either the Aune T1 or O2 amp with ODAC (DIY) set-up as both are very similiar price.
But it is hard to find comparisions of the T1 to other more popular Amp+DAC combos for all round music and film duties.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #42 of 8,309
OK so this morning I swapped out the vosknod tube for the stock one. And guess what. This sounds better to me. The Voskhod tube was a bit on the bright side of sound which was getting better as I was using the combo but last night I got to thinking I have to try the tube they provided because if these guys are going to pay attention to this much detail in the design something as important as a tube for the tube amp portion is not going to be overlooked. They mention on the description of the AUNE T1 that the new version. Which is the one I got has an upgraded tube. the 6922EH. 

To me this actually sounds better than the one I bought for it.. You guys that have this tube should try it..The sound is not as bright as I remember it and in fact very much perfect. So I don't think a tube replacement is necessary for the guys that are going to get this unit. There was a few tracks I tested out where there was a bit of sibilance happening and that caught me off guard last night as great as it sounded. Testing out same tracks now. The sound is somehow cleaner using the stock tube and I don't think it is fully burned in yet either so I will let this play all day to get a good idea of the how it sounds with the tube but so far I like the stock tube better.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #43 of 8,309
Sorry if this is a silly question, but is the output in the back of the T1 line level, or is it affected by the volume control at all? I guess my question is, can I use this as a speaker amp as well as a headphone amp?

I'm assuming no, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? Thanks in advance. I think I'll be asking the girlfriend for one of these as a Christmas gift. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #44 of 8,309
Quote:
OK so this morning I swapped out the vosknod tube for the stock one. And guess what. This sounds better to me. The Voskhod tube was a bit on the bright side of sound which was getting better as I was using the combo but last night I got to thinking I have to try the tube they provided because if these guys are going to pay attention to this much detail in the design something as important as a tube for the tube amp portion is not going to be overlooked. They mention on the description of the AUNE T1 that the new version. Which is the one I got has an upgraded tube. the 6922EH. 

To me this actually sounds better than the one I bought for it.. You guys that have this tube should try it..The sound is not as bright as I remember it and in fact very much perfect. So I don't think a tube replacement is necessary for the guys that are going to get this unit. There was a few tracks I tested out where there was a bit of sibilance happening and that caught me off guard last night as great as it sounded. Testing out same tracks now. The sound is somehow cleaner using the stock tube and I don't think it is fully burned in yet either so I will let this play all day to get a good idea of the how it sounds with the tube but so far I like the stock tube better.

Will give it a try. Of course, I figured the aftermarket tube would be best, but dumb of me not to try the supplied tube. Only bad thing is getting those plastic protectors off is a pain, I broke one already, so need to be careful. I don't even think I need them, since it's on my desktop. But going to try and be careful this time. They gave us two sets, which is good.

Update: Well, wow, you are right. No need for the aftermarket tube, it seems. I am nowhere good enough to say the other tube was superior and with Painter Song (Norah Jones, Come Away with Me, 24/96), the detail and sound is just as if not more impressive. Now this is with first listen. The other tube had 30-40 hours on it already. So looking forward to letting this amp run in a bit. But honestly, no need for the extra expense. I just jumped the gun.

Another update:
With more listening, not sure it's all that much different, but it could be the lack of burn in time with the new tube. I put on some of my most sibilant tracks and they sound a bit harsh with the stock tube. With the Grados, I am using a wee bit of bass EQ (I use JRiver Media Center as my player). Also using Wasapi + Event Style as the output setting. Need to do more burning in and listening. I think the stock tube is fine, but not sure if the aftermarket tube is better or not. Good to have two in case.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #45 of 8,309
Yes, it works with my Klipsch THS computer speakers, which have a 3.5 line output in the side of the master speaker. If you run a 3.5 to RCA cable to the input of the Aune, it will easily power speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back