Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Nov 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #46 of 8,309
Quote:
Well currently I'm running the T1 through UD100 instead of the internal DAC with a standard RCA - Mini jack. I much prefer the UD100, one of the reasons is that its louder than the internal DAC and I cannot detect any loss of resolution from my 24 bit songs.

When you get your cable, can you try and repeat my impressions? I don't have much of a critical/golden ear.

Will definitely give it a go. I didn't check the gain on mine yet, but with the Grado SR225i, volume is no problem so I will leave it as is. I may not be using the UD100 though. I will be using the HiFiMeDiy dac, which is capable of 24/96 rez output (but uses the same chip as the UD100). The HiFiMeDiy not arrived yet though. It's a different form factor, is in a small case/box with a USB cable and 3.5 input. Not as neat as the UD100, which I will sell when the new dac arrives.

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #47 of 8,309
Quote:
Yes, it works with my Klipsch THS computer speakers, which have a 3.5 line output in the side of the master speaker. If you run a 3.5 to RCA cable to the input of the Aune, it will easily power speakers.

Thanks for your reply. So the rear RCA jacks in the T1 are line level, but your pointing out if I were to use an adapter it's got enough power, right?

Another question I had is how quiet this can go? I have some fairly sensitive IEMs, and I like to listen at lower volumes than most do as well. Is there any channel imbalance at extremely low volumes?

For example, my current DAC/AMP of choice is a Fiio E10, but with my Shure SE215s, it's way too loud. I end up using foobar to adjust the volume, so I don't have to deal with the channel imbalance at the bottom of the pot.

Thanks again.

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #48 of 8,309
I don't detect any channel imbalance but with my IEMs, a pair of customs, it plays very loud. Now, the gain may be set to high (as Dsnuts says his was out of the box), I have to check. When I plug in the speakers in line out, and use the USB/line switch, the speakers play but the phones are silent. If I leave it on USB, both have sound (and the volume pot does not control volume). You can use the player volume control, as you do in foobar, to control volume.

I have the E10 as well, and there is no comparison with the T1 in my view. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #52 of 8,309
Quote:
you try setting your gain higher? The switches on the bottom? The T1 can get crazy loud. Take a pen or something that can turn on the switch on the bottom just the left one up to on. On both set of switches. Or turn all of it on for max gain. Mine came in box with both switches to on and I didn't even have to turn up the volume nob to 1/4 and it was blaring loud using my HD595. Too loud actually. I actually turned off the gain altogether. Plenty loud for me with no gain.

Yes I know the gain settings under the unit. I have no problem with the gain as I don't have any power hungry headphones, but since the UD100 already outputs enough juice (2Vrms IINM?) I don't have to touch the gain settings. I don't want to touch the gain settings, it's just a matter of preference really.
Quote:
thank you all for your impression about this T1
Do you know the output impedance? Do you think it can drive my Denon D2000 well enough?

Nope, I wouldn't drive the D2000 with a tubeamp. The DX000 lineup 1) has very low impedance and 2) doesn't pair well with tubeamps. I suggest you get yourself a solid state amp.
Add a little more into your budget and buy the Matrix M-Stage. Or you can step up to the game and get yourself a Meier Corda Arietta. Both pair very well with Denons. Or just make sure the output impedance is lower than 2 ohms. If you really want to get tubeamps, get one with an output impedance lower than 3 ohms.
Happy hunger games, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #53 of 8,309
Quote:
Yes I know the gain settings under the unit. I have no problem with the gain as I don't have any power hungry headphones, but since the UD100 already outputs enough juice (2Vrms IINM?) I don't have to touch the gain settings. I don't want to touch the gain settings, it's just a matter of preference really.
Nope, I wouldn't drive the D2000 with a tubeamp. The DX000 lineup 1) has very low impedance and 2) doesn't pair well with tubeamps. I suggest you get yourself a solid state amp.
Add a little more into your budget and buy the Matrix M-Stage. Or you can step up to the game and get yourself a Meier Corda Arietta. Both pair very well with Denons. Or just make sure the output impedance is lower than 2 ohms. If you really want to get tubeamps, get one with an output impedance lower than 3 ohms.
Happy hunger games, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

someone has been reading my thread :) bravo

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #55 of 8,309
Quote:
yeah too bad my friend didn't and he's pairing his D5000 with a Hifiman EF2A.

Ouch.... thats gonna suck.... time to buy some Grado's or sell the EF2A.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #56 of 8,309
I have swapped out quiet a few DACS and i never could bring myself to get rid of my Aune MK2 , it just has a balance i love, Aune seems to like making PCM1793 Dacs.
The MK2 has easily swappable OP AMPS , be nice to roll some tubes!

The MK2 has a lovely volume pot, is the T1,s action super smooth?

Might cough for one of these.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #57 of 8,309
Quote:
I have swapped out quiet a few DACS and i never could bring myself to get rid of my Aune MK2 , it just has a balance i love, Aune seems to like making PCM1793 Dacs.
The MK2 has easily swappable OP AMPS , be nice to roll some tubes!
The MK2 has a lovely volume pot, is the T1,s action super smooth?
Might cough for one of these.

Yep, the T1 has a very smooth volume pot. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #58 of 8,309
I'd also like to weigh in a little on the effect different tubes have on the sound of this unit. For the longest time, I like many others didn't realize that there was a tube included with the T1. I recently A/B'd the Voskhod tube and the included Electro-Harmonix tube and found that the EH tube had something funky going on with the mids. It's like there is a certain part of the mids that sounds scooped out or recessed. I also found that the stock tube had a little more hiss than the Voskhod. That being said, the stock tube sounds good overall and has a little more bass. In summary, both tubes sound pretty similar, but I found the Voskhod to be quieter and better balanced. 

Anyway, keep the impressions coming! 

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #59 of 8,309
I had swapped out the Voskhod for the one that came with the T1, but I am going to go back and have a comparison listen. Another owner believed the stock tube sounded less harsh, and I sort of agreed, but it could have been the power of suggestion more than reality. Also, that owner is returning his, so neither tube really made it for him. I am having no such problem with the T1, I still really am digging it. But thanks for the info on the EH tube.

Well, I went back to the Voskhod tube, and I hear it as actually a bit to my liking since I need no really bass boost with the phones I am using. Either way, the T1 really sounds great to me.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #60 of 8,309
Hey all I just wanted to add some new findings. My unit came with all gain switches set to ON. I flipped them to off and now find the sound to be fuller and smoother with my Magnum V4s. I definitely think it's an improvement.

Edit: I'd also like to share that I just received a new old stock tube from here: http://www.thecableco.com/

It's the EB Russion tube that everyone over at Rockgrotto gushes over...and it's for good reason...sounds clearer, better soundstage and instrument separation, and punchier bass. This is the best the T1 has sounded yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back