Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Sep 9, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #8,104 of 8,309
No problem my pleasure. Might as well use my many hours of research for something haha.
What tubes have you previously tried?
Sovtek, Gold Lion, Amperex OG "74. And about 2 years ago I also found at work a 1965 Bugle Boy and have been using that as my main tube since I found it.

Started using the "58 tiny man last night, and it was sounding pretty good but not much different than the "65. But then Piano Bar by Yoko Kanno & The Seatbelts started and suddenly I noticed how much different it sounded from usual. Had to go back to try out the "65 just to make sure I wasnt losing my mind. Even pulled out the gold lion to do some listening. Must have listened to Piano Bar about 30 times last night on different tubes. This "58 tiny man is amazing. It makes all the other tubes I have sound flat and soulless, so much detail, warmth and range. Its like I have my own private venue and I'm standing right next to the piano.

I never got into tube rolling much because all the tubes I tried sounded pretty similar. Its why I just stuck the "65 bugle boy in and left it for the last 2 years, the gold lion sounded the same to me. But this tiny man will have to be pried from my cold dead hands, its a delema now, I want to use it, but I dont want to use its life up and I have no idea how much it had been used in that oscilloscope. I'm gonna have to try and find more of these so I have some spares and compare them.

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #8,106 of 8,309
I wonder how will they sound if you didn't find out that they are the rarest and apparently sound the best
Isn't that kinda what most tube purchases are based on, someone says a tube is amazing you gotta try it, I know that's why I got the gold lion. But that is a fair point, and that's why I went back to the old tube box and pulled others out to listen to. It may just fit the piano really well. Sound is also very subjective, and so are tubes. At the end of the day, if I like it and it gets me excited about tubes again isn't that all that really matters.

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #8,107 of 8,309
Hi all
still lovin the aune t1 mk1.
As mentioned previously I modded the caps and output to a separate headphone class A headphone amp.
Done the tube rolling thing and got everything to a very satisfying place.

I was bidding on a few old valve/tube headphone amps and they went to high for my blood.

So getting to the point, I bought the aune external power supply for the aune amps and I don't think there has been a review yet.

So here goes.
Separation :- it's easier to follow individual parts within the whole.
Bass: slightly more controlled but not much better.
Mids : more real.
Treble: high frequencies are where there seems to more control which.
Micro dynamics is much improved which is what seems to increase the realism.
Best part is the scale of the music. I can turn it up just a little higher and still be comfortable and this adds a large amount of scale to the music.
Sound stage is different, slightly wider and more out of the head, darker and with a more stable image.
Not a night and day difference but it is an improvement.
Would I recommend the spend, well with my modified aune a definite yes however I can't test a std aune T1.

There are other power supplies which might be even better however they don't come with the aune t1 din power connector so I went for the aune one. Simple plugin job.
Bonus is you can switch off the power supply which is safer when your not there.

So another upgrade and the aune t1 stays for a while longer.

Hmm the headphone amp has two power bricks at 18v AC. What would it sound like with two large external filtered ones?

Why move to a new house when you can improve the one you have?

Note: I have had the power supply about two weeks and the sound is getting better with time.

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #8,108 of 8,309
Just got mine the other day and have been listening to it as a portable setup and the stock Electro Harmonix tube definetly takes out the sharp treble highs that were existing in my 400is. I'll have to poke through this thread to find some punchy tubes to bring back some of the aggressiveness I lost but I really am liking the smoothness to this. Getting some Gold Lions to go with this soon.

Since it uses USB 1.1 it actually works well with a mobile setup, I'm using an OTG cable connected to my phone with it to great effect.

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #8,112 of 8,309
Hello everyone,
I've been using the Aune T1 for a few years now and I've been getting some weird sounds since yesterday. It's connected to my PC so at first I thought it could be software related, but after switching to the onboard sound card, the weird noise is gone.
It's very hard to describe this noise but its only coming out of the right channel, its very short and sounds like a mechanical beep. I couldn't find a pattern, it seems quite random to me: I wouldn't hear it for quite a while but then it would "beep" like five times in five seconds, althought usually its 1-2 beeps once a while. Not sure about this part but it seems to occur only when there's no other sound playing, I have yet to hear this noise while there's anything playing.
Could it be that I need to replace my tube or something? (It's the MK2 version with the default tube that came with it)

Thanks in advance,
Daniel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back