Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 31, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #8,071 of 8,309
Hello , I have seen some people in this thread mentionning how they managed to use their aune T1 in usb mode connected to their ps4.I would love to do this with my own ps4 but unfortunaly nothing happen when I plug the usb cable into my ps4. Should I change something in my console's setting or do I need an external device to do the trick ?

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #8,072 of 8,309
Hello.  I installed the new version of macOS and now  I have sound  problems.  Any help please

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #8,073 of 8,309
  I found the review! Headfonia was reviewing the Modi/ Magni from the point of view of the T1 (seems kinda weird to me since the T1 isn't as main stream). 

http://www.headfonia.com/schitty-magni-and-modi/2/  

"The Aune T1 DAC/amp sounds almost identically the same but due to tube customization and it being both a DAC and a very good amplifier all by itself, I am going to say the Schiit combo is a step or two behind the Aune in quality. I think the T1 offers more."

Alright, so I've repatriated the Magni and Modi stack.  I've got the Schiit Magni (1) hooked up to the Aune T1 (mk1) via RCA and am switching back and forth between them to compare amplification, both are using the T1's DAC.  To be honest, I didn't expect to hear a significant difference.  Here's my thoughts going back and forth the Magni & T1 amplification. 

Using Hifiman 400i:
The Magni definitely sounds 'cleaner' than the T1.  The T1 has a sort of 'muffled' sound to it, first time going from Magni to T1, I thought 'molasses' for some reason...  The Magni has a noticeable edge in terms of detail/clarity, for instance, the decay of piano can be lost on the T1 and very clear/detailed on the Magni.  The highs also seem to have a bit more shimmer than the T1, might have to do with the 'muffle' sound described earlier, but the Magni's highs are definitely 'sparklier'.  The bass is a little bit better controlled on the Magni, drums for instance feel a lot tighter on the Magni, while the T1 seems to add some weight to the bass, but it is definitely less controlled.  Imaging also seems more precise on the Magni, the T1 seems to smear a bit everything making every sound seems 'wider' & a tad bigger.  The T1 also seems to have a bit darker sound to it.

In other words, it sounds like I was not mistaken in my impression of T1 vs Magni.  The Magni does indeed sound much 'cleaner'...  Tighter, more controlled, better defined, there is a significant difference between both, and IMHO, it is clear that the Magni's amplification is better than the T1's!  I thought all these attributes might have come from the Dac's tube, but nope, the T1's amplification is at least partially guilty for the difference of sound of Schiit vs Aune.   That said, the 400i I think is pushing the T1 maybe beyond its limits. 

Switching to Sennheiser 598. 
Right away, to match the volume of 400i, Winamp's volume (flac) went from 100% to about 40% which should help out the T1 if it was having trouble with the 400i.  First impression is that the difference is a bit less than on the 400i, but after going back and forth a couple of times, I'd say that pretty much everything said above holds true.  The Magni definitely still holds the edge vs the T1.  Everything seems a bit 'lighter' on the Magni, the T1 does have a darker sound, with everything being not as detailed/precise as the Magni. 

Then time for the venerable AKG Q701
Wow those suckers keep pleasing, even vs 400i, which given retail difference of both, shouldn't be that fun to listen to, are... *great cans*.   Anyway, keeping this short, same story.  Definitely sounds cleaner.  In french, there's a word; "grossier": "coarse".  I think it defines well the difference between between Magni and T1's amp sections, the Magni's is definitely 'finer'.   The decay is much better, everything is tighter, better defined, more detailed, just a level above.

AKG 550
I don't have them at the moment, but I've done a lot of listening of them with the T1.  My daily work workhorse.  The impression I had when listening to them on the Schiit stack was; wow, that's a lot clearer/cleaner.  Again, I assumed the tube was the culprit, but thinking back, the amplification very likely played an important role.  The bass was much less emphasized, better defined, the sound was definitely 'lighter', bit more effortless & just clearer/cleaner.

So, yeah... IMHO, the Magni's amplification is better.  The difference is not huge.  Without quickly alternating, it would be hard to identify the differences, think I was mentioning that in this thread that I thought the Schiit did a better job driving them, so wasn't even entirely sure.   But when going back and forth, it's imho evident that the Magni is the better amp.  Logical given the price, (paid 120$ on massdrop for T1 vs 198$ for the modi+magni), but I was kinda expecting them to sound pretty much the same, given that transistor amps shouldn't sound very different from one another, but...  Sigh...  There's a difference.

Would it be worth 100$ for T1 owners to get a Magni?  Tough question...  Would I get one if I just had a T1?  Honestly, not sure...  Some had suggested to spend more than 100$ and get something better than the Magni, I think I'd agree with that.  It's definitely not a huge difference, and maybe spending 200$ on an amp would give you a greater improvement.  If a 200$ amp improved over the Magni like the Magni improved over the T1, that would definitely be worth 200$, and be a serious upgrade.  Do you get that though for 200$?  I don't know...!  

Still, only got 100$, is the Magni sound improvement worth 100$?  Well 100$ isn't a lot in the world of audio, and given the actual cost/improvement vs cables & other much less obvious 'upgrades', probably yes.  It's a real, audible, significant upgrade.  I wouldn't lose sleep about using T1 amplification though!

I'll try to compare the Schiit stack vs T1 and post my final impressions on Schiit stack vs T1.  :)  Hmm.. And maybe T1 vs modi should also be interesting. Could I go Modi line out -> Aune line in -> Aune line out -> Schiit Magni?  Hmm!  Think I'll try that.. (edit btw doesn't work, making comparison a big hassle...)

Note: Knowing that level match is important, the volume was ear matched.  But to be sure the Magni didn't get a volume advantage, when it became clear that the Magni was getting the upper hand, I increased the volume of the T1 so that it was clearly louder than the Magni, and going back and forth between amps, slightly reduced the T1's volume until its level was very slightly above the Magni...

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #8,074 of 8,309
Dusted off my T1 and back into it. So far I think my fave is a Rocket Logo 6H23N for electronic music. Just ordered a 6N23P-EV to try and another 6H23N for backup.

How does everyone store/carry their tubes?? I have them in their individual cardboard boxes or rolled up in bubble wrap, and I realized I might've lost 2 tubes! Would be nice to have something that can hold all of them.

It looks like there is a MK3, a T1 SE.

Has anyone heard it and can make a comparison?

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #8,075 of 8,309
  How does everyone store/carry their tubes?? I have them in their individual cardboard boxes or rolled up in bubble wrap, and I realized I might've lost 2 tubes! Would be nice to have something that can hold all of them.

I use cigar box. Looks and smells nice (even though I'm not a smoker). You can check some photos from here: http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/759638/headphones-tubes/

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #8,076 of 8,309

I use cigar box. Looks and smells nice (even though I'm not a smoker). You can check some photos from here: http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/759638/headphones-tubes/

A wooden box is a very classy choice Salvatore :) I am considering getting something similar myself. I plan to hit some local thrift stores for a cheap and awesome find :D

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #8,079 of 8,309
Hi everyone, I'm new to the T1 party, how does it perform with IEMs?
The T1 has a relatively high output impedance of 10 ohms and therefore does not make an ideal pairing with IEMs, especially multi-balanced armature set ups. I don't use my T1's amp but instead run it through the line out into an Objective 2 amp which has a <1 ohm output impedance.

May 1, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #8,080 of 8,309
I have been owning the T1 for a few years now along with a Schitt Lyr 2 with Gold Lion tubes and stock tubes used with a Dragonfly DAC and some people are going to probably call me crazy due to the price differences but the Aune T1 sound better to me using my HD600's and my Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs. I am going to use the T1's dac with the Lyr 2 to see if the Dragonfly is the cause or not. My Aplha Dogs sound so much more clearer and open with the Aune T1. I put them up against each other every so often just to see if my opinion has changed and I did that again last night and the Aune T1 won out again. Anyone else has the same gear and experienced the same thing? I have Gold Lion Tubes in both amps. The 2 in the Lyr 2 are even a matched pair.

May 1, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #8,081 of 8,309
I have been owning the T1 for a few years now along with a Schitt Lyr 2 with Gold Lion tubes and stock tubes used with a Dragonfly DAC and some people are going to probably call me crazy due to the price differences but the Aune T1 sound better to me using my HD600's and my Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs. I am going to use the T1's dac with the Lyr 2 to see if the Dragonfly is the cause or not. My Aplha Dogs sound so much more clearer and open with the Aune T1. I put them up against each other every so often just to see if my opinion has changed and I did that again last night and the Aune T1 won out again. Anyone else has the same gear and experienced the same thing? I have Gold Lion Tubes in both amps. The 2 in the Lyr 2 are even a matched pair.
What about Aune T1 out to the Schitt Lyr 2? That probably would sound good.

May 1, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #8,082 of 8,309
What about Aune T1 out to the Schitt Lyr 2? That probably would sound good.
I am gonna try that but if I want to do a separate DAC with the Lyr2 that is not small in size like the Dragonfly, I may just as well get the Bifrost to match the Lyr2. I really like how the Aune is an all in one unit. I will try it out just so I can tell you the difference. I am also worried about spending that much money on the Bifrost which will make the combo around $1,000.00 spend while I paid $under $200.00 for the Aune T1. I do not think it will sound 4 times better than the Aune. LOL

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #8,083 of 8,309
Alright, I tried the Aune as a DAC paired with my Lyr 2 with the Gold Lion Tubes and the with the LYST tubes which made it a complete solid state amp. I rather it with the Gold lion tubes instead of the LYST tubes so that is what I will use to compare. The Lyst tubes made it a little harsh in the top end with the Mad Dogs. I find the Aune plays better with the Lyr2 than the Dragonfly does. The Aune T1 sounds more open and has more detail on the top end than the dragonfly does. The Aune has less power compared to the Lyr2 of course and you do notice that when used with the Alpha Dogs. The bass is tighter, the mids are more forward, and the treble is a little smoother but with less detail with the Lyr2. The sound-stage is more open with the Aune and the mids are a little more laid back which is probably why I perceive that the Aune has a little more detail at the top end. This set up is on my end table next to my sofa so space is limited. Being that space is limited for me, the sound is nice enough with the Aune T1 through its own amp as to where i cant justify the extra space needed to be used by the Lyr2.The only way I would bring the Lyr2 in there to use permanently is if I ever purchased the Bifrost DAC to stack with it. The reason I never purchased it yet is because of the price and also the release of the Schiit Jotunheim and the Aune S6 which appears to be DAC/AMP combos and it would save space. Can the Bifrost be that much better than the DAC's in those 2 units? Also the price of the Bifrost vs those 2 DAC/AMPS put them at almost the same price range. So, the Aune T1 is a very competent DAC/AMP above its price point for sure in my opinion. Only crazy people like us on Head-Fi would seek something more. LOL

May 2, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #8,084 of 8,309
People keep buying and buying higher end equipments and some start to develop sensitivity towards small changes. What we consider as marginal to them might be night and day differences. Some has favorite tracks that they love but wouldn't sound how they want them to, for instance maybe a spanish guitar is recessed, the bass doesn't have the same vibration like so and so, or the vocals are too up front, so they search for things/equipment to correct those very small details. However, while they may be looking at their equipment as race horses or performance cars where shaving every millisecond off the lap is important, I just look at mine like a fine automobile to stroll around comfortably.

The JPS Labs Abyss and Beyerdynamic DT150 headphones are ugly as sin, but they sell like hot cakes because of their performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back