Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 20, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #8,056 of 8,309
  Really?
I imagined the tube would need more power than what's available from USB. Never tried it myself.

Wait my unit doesn't run on USB alone. I just remembered I've go it connected but not turned on in several occasions.

Well I just put my foot in my mouth.

I was excited because my computer recognized the T1's DAC while it was off. The same cannot be said of other DAC/Amps I've got. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #8,057 of 8,309
I recently acquired the Aune T1 and within less than a month of having it I went on a spree of buying tubes. This is simply the only downside to this awesome little device.

I highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't want to spend much on a DAC/amp combination. It offers an astounding improvement over integrated DACs in desktops/laptops. Also, it offers a clear and very pleasant improvement over entry level DAC/Amps like the Fiio e10k, SMSL M2/M3, and arguably even the Schiit stack. I am yet to extensively compare Schiit stack to the Aune T1 however I will post results as I go.

The ability to roll tubes allows one to experience unique sounds with each tube at a smaller cost than purchasing new cans. Then again some tubes have cost me a lot :D

Finally the Aune T1 offers the option to use a line out to speakers or another amp(while still taking advantage of the tubey sound since the Aune T1 has what one may call a tube DAC) which adds to its value. Even on my little bluetooth speaker using the line in, I notice an improvement of sound.

In conclusion, I cannot be happier with my purchase, especially since I got this used at an awesome price.

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #8,058 of 8,309
  I've read a review (unfortunately I forgot where) that said the T1 sounded better than the modi/magni stack.

Define "better".  :wink:

I've switched my T1 work amp with my home Magni/Modi, and for me the big lines are; modi/magni is neutral & more detailed, T1 is colored & warmer.  So imho it depends on the headphone...  And even then, it can be a tradeoff... For instance, with the hifiman HE400i, do you want the extra warmth of the T1 or added detail/speed of the Schiits?

thendawg mentionned the Beyers 990s.. I have the Premiums 600ohms, and imho, the Schiit stack wins hands down, for some reason, with the T1, the highs of the 990s sounded really weird...  Likely because colored amp + similarly colored headphone = overdose of coloration...  I'll have to listen again, but my 1st reaction was..  Errr...  That's not good...

But, T1 seemed to give quite a jolt to Senns HD598 and AKG Q701s, as in, kinda seemed to enhance the headphones!  I was surprised that the T1 seemed to improve them quite a bit, so in that case, imho T1 wins.  At work, the AKG K550s already seem to me as being warm headphones, so the Schiit seem to improve (make them bit more neutral) them in that sense, and because they're closed/dynamic (do well as having a beefy/meaty sound with impact, solid bass), I think I'd rather have the Schiit with them & make them a bit more neutral & tad bit more detailed, as they're not the most detailed out there...  But that said, it's quite close vs the T1, I really don't mind either, T1 on some tracks would likely do better...  Almost a toss up.

And to go back to the HE400i, because of their somewhat new for me & seem to be a big step up of my other headphones, I'm liking the bit of extra weight the T1 gives them, but at the same time, I'm somewhat feeling like they're not driven as well as with the Schiits and I'm missing layer of detail/realism/musicality/clarity (whatever you want to call it) of the Schiits...  It's not huge, and I've not directly compared them, but the Schiit in that case, with a tiny bit of EQ would, IMHO, edge out the T1...  For these cans, I think the T1 sounds a bit more 'lowfi'; not quite as resolving, so holds back the 400i more than the Modi/Magni...

So what is it...  Two to two?  Schiit wins AKG550 & HE400i and T1 wins AKG Q701 and HD598?  A draw?  Fine with me!  I think my recommendation would vary depending on the headphones!  Oh...  All that is with the original tube though!   Oooh... oh crap.. 990...  Oh well whatever quite close overall imho..!  :D

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #8,059 of 8,309

I found the review! Headfonia was reviewing the Modi/ Magni from the point of view of the T1 (seems kinda weird to me since the T1 isn't as main stream). 

http://www.headfonia.com/schitty-magni-and-modi/2/  

"The Aune T1 DAC/amp sounds almost identically the same but due to tube customization and it being both a DAC and a very good amplifier all by itself, I am going to say the Schiit combo is a step or two behind the Aune in quality. I think the T1 offers more."

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #8,061 of 8,309

I've switched my T1 work amp with my home Magni/Modi, and for me the big lines are; modi/magni is neutral & more detailed, T1 is colored & warmer.  So imho it depends on the headphone...  And even then, it can be a tradeoff... For instance, with the hifiman HE400i, do you want the extra warmth of the T1 or added detail/speed of the Schiits?

thendawg mentionned the Beyers 990s.. I have the Premiums 600ohms, and imho, the Schiit stack wins hands down, for some reason, with the T1, the highs of the 990s sounded really weird...  Likely because colored amp + similarly colored headphone = overdose of coloration...  I'll have to listen again, but my 1st reaction was..  Errr...  That's not good...

But, T1 seemed to give quite a jolt to Senns HD598 and AKG Q701s, as in, kinda seemed to enhance the headphones!  I was surprised that the T1 seemed to improve them quite a bit, so in that case, imho T1 wins.  At work, the AKG K550s already seem to me as being warm headphones, so the Schiit seem to improve (make them bit more neutral) them in that sense, and because they're closed/dynamic (do well as having a beefy/meaty sound with impact, solid bass), I think I'd rather have the Schiit with them & make them a bit more neutral & tad bit more detailed, as they're not the most detailed out there...  But that said, it's quite close vs the T1, I really don't mind either, T1 on some tracks would likely do better...  Almost a toss up.

And to go back to the HE400i, because of their somewhat new for me & seem to be a big step up of my other headphones, I'm liking the bit of extra weight the T1 gives them, but at the same time, I'm somewhat feeling like they're not driven as well as with the Schiits and I'm missing layer of detail/realism/musicality/clarity (whatever you want to call it) of the Schiits...  It's not huge, and I've not directly compared them, but the Schiit in that case, with a tiny bit of EQ would, IMHO, edge out the T1...  For these cans, I think the T1 sounds a bit more 'lowfi'; not quite as resolving, so holds back the 400i more than the Modi/Magni...

So what is it...  Two to two?  Schiit wins AKG550 & HE400i and T1 wins AKG Q701 and HD598?  A draw?  Fine with me!  I think my recommendation would vary depending on the headphones!  Oh...  All that is with the original tube though!   Oooh... oh crap.. 990...  Oh well whatever quite close overall imho..!  :D

Thank you for sharing your impressions.

However, considering you only tested the Aune T1 with the stock tube, I think you are not doing it justice. Sure you might have to invest a little extra into some good tubes but in my view, only then do you truly enjoy the full value of the Aune T1.

Please keep in mind, I have only had the Aune for a relatively short time but I am truly enjoying it.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #8,062 of 8,309
Alright I'll bite!  
biggrin.gif
  What's an easily obtainable affordable tube to upgrade the base Electro Harmonix 6922EH?  There's a ton of tubes mentioned in this thread, but they all point to very specific brands & are all rare & vintage and expensive and all...  Ex: I'm trying to find say where to buy just an E188CC tube in Canada, there's a tubeworld which sells a pair for 250$...  Ebay have 2x E188CC for 300$...  It seems that one simply does go to google to buy a tube...  I feel like I've become an archeologist looking for some rare fossil...!

Say I want to buy this:
Quote arcorob:
 GE Labeled SIEMENS 6AQ8 ECC85 GERMANY - cant make out date code 5.0 Stars *****/ This bad boy is amazing, Soundstage impresses you immediately as does the detail. This and my other GE labeled tube will knock your socks off.  Would make anyone happy -this 6AQ8 which I think has a tad better soundstage (by a thumbnail) but also just a thumbnail less bass. . I listened to about 12 different type songs and could find no wrong EXCEPT some heavy metal tune by Nickelback and that may be the mastering, I need to check. But all other cuts, gorgeous. Vocals will make your head spin and take notice.

I get all sorts of results for "6AQ8 ECC85" from 9.99$ to 99.99$, so it's not just the model number, it's the brand, year, color, etc.? I guess that would be it?   Sigh... 50 bucks USD...  Add shipping, taxes, brokerage, exchange, etc., just that 1 tube would end up to like 85$US in Canada...  And....  Maybe it's not the same year so it might sound very different?

Seems like I'm missing something because this seems like not only a big hassle, but also a big gamble and way more complicated than it should be... Or is this the nature of tubes?  I mean...  T1 seemed like a good deal, so I ordered it and have a T1, just like everybody else.  Simple!  Now, looking for a tube upgrade, it's almost like I've become a stamp collector & have to not only find a particular Hugme Boat stamp from dec 23rd 1962, but one with the blue dot on the left side of the 3rd letter beneath the 3rd wave, because that's the one that you want and the others might be completely different and crap...!

So just to get this straight, when you want to buy a tube, you are basically hunting for vintage tubes made in the 1960's???  There's basically no modern company who's offering a cheap modern tube that works great & makes hunting for vintage tubes obsolete?  I'm getting depressed... 
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #8,063 of 8,309
GirgleMirt
I was hesitant to get into the tube game also. I've only bought 3 to date and out of those one didn't sound much different than the stock tube.

However, 2 of them completely blew my mind. The first was an 1969 Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8($40 give or take), and the second was a PQ 7308($50-60?) that I can't remember the exact details on, but they essentially sound the same. The dud was a Bugle Boy($40) with most of the etching rubbed off that I picked up at a local bits and pieces store. Wasn't worth the effort or the money.

Now I can't guarantee that this tube

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/Amperex-Holland-6DJ8-ECC88-Orange-Globe-strong-NIB-NOS-halo-getter-tube-/162414329739?nav=SEARCH

will sound like mine, but if it does your ears will thank you.

I wasn't impressed with my T1 until that Orange Globe entered my life. I hope it can do the same for you.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #8,064 of 8,309
  Alright I'll bite!  
biggrin.gif
  What's an easily obtainable affordable tube to upgrade the base Electro Harmonix 6922EH?  There's a ton of tubes mentioned in this thread, but they all point to very specific brands & are all rare & vintage and expensive and all...  Ex: I'm trying to find say where to buy just an E188CC tube in Canada, there's a tubeworld which sells a pair for 250$...  Ebay have 2x E188CC for 300$...  It seems that one simply does go to google to buy a tube...  I feel like I've become an archeologist looking for some rare fossil...!

Say I want to buy this:
I get all sorts of results for "6AQ8 ECC85" from 9.99$ to 99.99$, so it's not just the model number, it's the brand, year, color, etc.? I guess that would be it?   Sigh... 50 bucks USD...  Add shipping, taxes, brokerage, exchange, etc., just that 1 tube would end up to like 85$US in Canada...  And....  Maybe it's not the same year so it might sound very different?

Seems like I'm missing something because this seems like not only a big hassle, but also a big gamble and way more complicated than it should be... Or is this the nature of tubes?  I mean...  T1 seemed like a good deal, so I ordered it and have a T1, just like everybody else.  Simple!  Now, looking for a tube upgrade, it's almost like I've become a stamp collector & have to not only find a particular Hugme Boat stamp from dec 23rd 1962, but one with the blue dot on the left side of the 3rd letter beneath the 3rd wave, because that's the one that you want and the others might be completely different and crap...!

So just to get this straight, when you want to buy a tube, you are basically hunting for vintage tubes made in the 1960's???  There's basically no modern company who's offering a cheap modern tube that works great & makes hunting for vintage tubes obsolete?  I'm getting depressed... 
frown.gif

Hey man.
I understand your pain. I too live in Canada. It took me a lot of time to learn about all the different tubes the Aune T1 sounds good with. I'd be happy to discuss with you. PM me.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #8,065 of 8,309
Thx pm'd!

Quote:
 Now I can't guarantee that this tube [link] will sound like mine, but if it does your ears will thank you.

Yeah well that's what I meant by gambling... Also, it doesn't even appear to be new!  ('measure new'?!  Ok wait true we're talking tubes so it's all vintage stuff, there's basically no 'new' tubes.. Sorry, will take some time for my brain to adjust...)  So am I really going to spend US $26.00 + US $26.00 shipping + 15% tax + 10$ brokerage + misc fees for something which, as you've described, might not be worth the time and effort? 
blink.gif

I don't know... I guess I'll go check the local shops, they sell some tube stuff so should have some... Guess check out their stock, prices, etc...  Maybe do some more tube research, see if there's a decent way to find/buy tubes, or some good simple tube choice that's affordable & easily purchasable...  And man...  This only has one tube.  I'm so happy I didn't purchase any full blown tube amp which has like 10 of them!!! 
eek.gif
   With 4 of those giant ones which probably cost even more...!

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #8,066 of 8,309
1969 Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 as mentioned if you ask me , it should be everyones first tube. I've got one for as little as $10-15 US dollars. And the others are also right the thing is crap with the stock tube.

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #8,067 of 8,309
  1969 Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 as mentioned if you ask me , it should be everyones first tube. I've got one for as little as $10-15 US dollars. And the others are also right the thing is crap with the stock tube.

For the price, the Orange Globe is an awesome tube. It definitely is a great choice for one's first tube. I wouldn't say crap with the stock tube but nothing stood out. It sounds decent.

Personally, I'm enjoying having a wide variety of tubes, each with their own flavour. And these tubes are just so damn cool, gotta catch em all!

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #8,068 of 8,309
Thanks I'll try to see if I can find one!  Is there like a massive difference between brands/years though?  I've seen some GE, National, JJ, Rogers, etc., tubes which would fit, mostly from like 8-25$cdn (6-17$US), so I might just order a couple to play around...  Or would this be a waste of time and money and you really have to get one of the 'good' brand/year/model to have a tube which will be an upgrade to the default EH tube?

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #8,069 of 8,309
  Thanks I'll try to see if I can find one!  Is there like a massive difference between brands/years though?  I've seen some GE, National, JJ, Rogers, etc., tubes which would fit, mostly from like 8-25$cdn (6-17$US), so I might just order a couple to play around...  Or would this be a waste of time and money and you really have to get one of the 'good' brand/year/model to have a tube which will be an upgrade to the default EH tube?

The general consensus is the older tubes sound better. Now that isn't a rule of thumb but reviews/impressions from several sources indicate so. In other words, if you can get say a Bugle Boy from the early 1960s vs 1970s, it should sound better.

In regards to brands, generally speaking the best tubes are anything by Philips(Amperex, Valvo included), Siemens, and Mullard.

You could have some fun with cheap tubes like the ones you named. However, to see a clear improvement over stock tube I suggest you invest in one of the better tubes. You don't have to spend much either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back