Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 17, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #8,086 of 8,309
Just recently bought the MK2 and I'm enjoying it immensely! I'm currently rocking a Genalex Gold Lion that the previous owner burned in quite nicely for about 150~ hours.The more I started researching tube rolling though, I decided I needed to get my hands on an Amperex 7308 and test it out. I bought one (white ink) through Upscale Audio. I'll give some impressions when I burn it in and give it a fair shake.

For those that have used both, do you think I will hear a substantial difference between the two? Thanks!

May 18, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #8,088 of 8,309
I have not tried the Genalex Gold Lion but the 7308 white labels was one of the most impressive first listens out of the many tubes I've tested. You will thoroughly enjoy it.

Thanks for the feedback. I know I'm late to the party for this amp, but it's my first adventure into HiFi and it sounds great with my MSR7's. Definitely looking forward to the 7308.

May 23, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #8,089 of 8,309
So got the 7308 (white, PQ shield) last night and I've spent about four hours with it total. At first it didn't seem like anything different than the Genalex, but after a while, I really could start to tell the difference. The big difference is that it has taken the edge off of my highs (MSR7's) but retained all of the detail. I really don't understand how it does that but, needless to say, its amazing. Mid's are still full and my bass is still tight and defined. I can't wait to get some more hours burned into it!

Overall, I think that the Genalex is a great value and depending on your cans, it might be all you ever need. But at some point, I think that everyone deserves to give this tube a listen. I can't speak to the other versions of the 7308, but Upscale Audio swears they are all the same tube. The tube community seems to disagree though so take that with a grain of salt.

09cpz0q.jpg

May 23, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #8,091 of 8,309
Kupo43, welcome to the world of NOS tubes haha.
I'm glad you are really enjoying it so far. It should improve with time as it burns in :D Also, as you listen to more content you will appreciate it more.

Do you plan on trying out any other tubes?

For sure. I really want to try an Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe and a couple of the Mullards. I'm hoping everything now will be relatively affordable. I've spent all day with the 7308 and it's really starting to come into its own as I'm adjusting to it.

Do you have any recommendations?

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #8,092 of 8,309
Do you have any recommendations?

I haven't extensively listened to all my tubes yet. However, I would definitely recommend getting tubes from different factories. The 7308 you have I presume is American made. Give a Herleen factory tube, ie Dutch made, preferably from early 60s, as those sound the best apparently. I've acquired nothing but pre-1970s tubes for that reason. Other famous factories are the British Mitcham and Blackburn Mullard factories, Munich Siemens, Hamburg Valvo, and a few others. I am not saying each tube from each factory sounds the same. However, I have noticed bigger differences between the better tubes(6922 pq/e188cc) from different factories than the better tubes vs the lower tier ones(6922/e88cc). Might just be me though :D

There are many reviews to read out there and your tastes might be different than mine. Also depends on your setup. Maybe you want a bigger sound stage more so than taming the highs on say Beyer cans. I suggest you enjoy some music on the 7308 while you read up on the tonnes of tube reviews out there xD It is part of the fun to learn about the history too. I suggest you read here: http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

What got me buying lots of tubes is being fascinated in them and their history. Recently acquired some in original boxes and that adds to the enjoyment a ill haha. Once you have a couple in mind, lemme know, wouldnt mind letting couple go.

May 25, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #8,093 of 8,309
I haven't extensively listened to all my tubes yet. However, I would definitely recommend getting tubes from different factories. The 7308 you have I presume is American made. Give a Herleen factory tube, ie Dutch made, preferably from early 60s, as those sound the best apparently. I've acquired nothing but pre-1970s tubes for that reason. Other famous factories are the British Mitcham and Blackburn Mullard factories, Munich Siemens, Hamburg Valvo, and a few others. I am not saying each tube from each factory sounds the same. However, I have noticed bigger differences between the better tubes(6922 pq/e188cc) from different factories than the better tubes vs the lower tier ones(6922/e88cc). Might just be me though :D

There are many reviews to read out there and your tastes might be different than mine. Also depends on your setup. Maybe you want a bigger sound stage more so than taming the highs on say Beyer cans. I suggest you enjoy some music on the 7308 while you read up on the tonnes of tube reviews out there xD It is part of the fun to learn about the history too. I suggest you read here: http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

What got me buying lots of tubes is being fascinated in them and their history. Recently acquired some in original boxes and that adds to the enjoyment a ill haha. Once you have a couple in mind, lemme know, wouldnt mind letting couple go.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #8,094 of 8,309
Just for the files: I recently bought an Aune T1 Mk3 and send it back after just a few days. It worked fine and was able to supply my Fostex T50RP at a great volume, but it got too hot. After about 30 Minutes the surface temperature was 47C (117F); thats more than I can accept. Especially when considering, that the inside temperature will be much higher.

I tried it a few times and it even got hot without any headphone connected, without the USB cable connected and with gain set to the lowest value.

Grüsse,
Torsten

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #8,095 of 8,309
Just for the files: I recently bought an Aune T1 Mk3 and send it back after just a few days. It worked fine and was able to supply my Fostex T50RP at a great volume, but it got too hot. After about 30 Minutes the surface temperature was 47C (117F); thats more than I can accept. Especially when considering, that the inside temperature will be much higher.

I tried it a few times and it even got hot without any headphone connected, without the USB cable connected and with gain set to the lowest value.

Grüsse,
Torsten

Shocking! My Mk1 produces very little heat and even after functioning for hours, the tube is just what you'd expect of a tube. Yours must be defective.

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #8,096 of 8,309

Grüsse,
Torsten

As the poster before me said, I would say your unit was not functioning properly. Aune T1 does get hot but not that much.

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #8,097 of 8,309
Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Hey, I had a T1 and loved it. Why? It introduced me (inexpensively) to headphone amps and, most importantly, the fun/learning in tube rolling. I learned tons through rolling. T1 is an excellent "end game" piece of equipment. My purchase of the T1 and associated tubes came after many late evenings reading head-fi tubes reviews, then trying some as I learned more. My learnings resulted in 4 tubes that represent different characteristics. I spent 6 months bouncing among them.

So, I have those four tubes I selected and used with the T1. They are for sale--cheaply I might add. PM me if interested.

Best

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #8,098 of 8,309
So im at work as one usually is and notice a very old and beat up oscilloscope come in ( recycling/donation center that also refurbishes and sell computers ) and noticed some tubes in it. so i grab it and go back to my desk in the tech department and start poking through it. Lots of RCA tubes, a GE, and a tung-sol so far none that are types i use in my T1. But i did find 2 gems in the belly of the old beast, a pair of 6DJ8 Amperex Bugle Boys. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me decipher the tube codes.

the most i can make out is
Left = GA2
Δ8H

Right = Δ1A2

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #8,099 of 8,309
So im at work as one usually is and notice a very old and beat up oscilloscope come in ( recycling/donation center that also refurbishes and sell computers ) and noticed some tubes in it. so i grab it and go back to my desk in the tech department and start poking through it. Lots of RCA tubes, a GE, and a tung-sol so far none that are types i use in my T1. But i did find 2 gems in the belly of the old beast, a pair of 6DJ8 Amperex Bugle Boys. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me decipher the tube codes.

the most i can make out is
Left = GA2
Δ8H

Right = Δ1A2

Nice find!
The triangle symbol means it's from the herleen factory in the Netherlands.
If the getter is a large O then they are from the sixties, the number after the symbol is the year.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #8,100 of 8,309
Nice find!
The triangle symbol means it's from the herleen factory in the Netherlands.
If the getter is a large O then they are from the sixties, the number after the symbol is the year.
yea. the triangle is the only thing i know on these. herleen. the one with Δ1A2 has an O getter. But the one with GA2 / Δ8H has a horseshoe shape with a straight bar connecting the two ends for a getter.

derp, 2 seconds of googling. D getter.

--further edit and 2 more seconds of googling
Amperex BB Tiny Man with D Getter 1958

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back