Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 17, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #8,041 of 8,309
The tube is only for buffering and not actual amplification stage. It's not under a lot of stress and doesn't heat up as much as pure tube amps.
Even then, tubes are rated for several thousand hours. Basically means we're all good to go for a long time.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #8,042 of 8,309
Hey guys I have a question for you all....How many tubes have you gone through using the Aune T1? I ask because since I started this thread back in 2012 not a single tube has died on me yet. Granted, I do use different tubes at different times but still...seems like tubes live a long time in this thing.

Joel,

I've had the Aune T1 for 3 years now. I still use the Amperex 7308 (1968 vintage) which I got after a short period of tube rolling. I now use the T1 as a DAC only and use a Schiit Vali2 (with a Siemens tube that you traded with me). Seeing that the tube is a buffer only on the DAC of the T1, I doubt that there is any change in stress because I am no longer using the T1 amp. I use this unit almost every day for the past 3 years for several hours each but the tube shows no signs of failure.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #8,043 of 8,309
Hello. I just ordered at ad 900x headphones which are half open as i never liked fully closed headphones. Purpose for it will be mainly gaming & music listening (wide spectrum of it e.g. dubstep dnb hip hop rock metal including death metal) Now I'm wondering about proper dac for those headphones. After some researching I narrowed my choices to two products which are both made by aune T1 SE and x1s. Could you guys suggest which one of those would pair up better with 900x sound representation characteristics?
Also I'm wandering does adding that dedicated power supply for T1 named aune xp1 makes that dac sound better/different? And the same question is for aunes headphone amp x7s i believe.
Occasionally I would hook it up to my speaker system which includes Roksan Caspian m1 integrated amp and monitor audio gs 40 (or 60) speakers but I don't believe those dacs will do any good for it as recently I've tested it with audio gd nfb 11.32 dac and it literally sounded the same as my pc onboard sound card. Ive returned it as for my purposes it was an overkill for its price. I need something strictly headphone oriented so t1 or x1s. Question is which one?

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #8,044 of 8,309
I have had mine for more than 5 years and I'm in love with it.  I really encourage you to but a CCa tube.  It is a huge improvment. 

I have found that a good USB cable will also improve the sound.

If you enjoy rock you have to have a Grado headphone.  You will not come back to other headphones ever.  

My 0.02. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #8,045 of 8,309
Is anyone having an issue where you need to unplug the USB cable and replug it to get any sound?  Started to happen maybe a month ago on a laptop, seemed to just die one day and after fiddling found that USB replug solves the issue...  I just moved the Aune to a pc thinking it was an issue with the laptop, and lo and behold same thing happens on PC...  It's not a volume issue, it's not a selected device issue, it's really that the USB cable needs to be unplugged and replugged...
mad.gif
   Otherwise works flawlessly!   (Original Aune T1 with original tube, 4 years old)

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #8,046 of 8,309
  Is anyone having an issue where you need to unplug the USB cable and replug it to get any sound?  Started to happen maybe a month ago on a laptop, seemed to just die one day and after fiddling found that USB replug solves the issue...  I just moved the Aune to a pc thinking it was an issue with the laptop, and lo and behold same thing happens on PC...  It's not a volume issue, it's not a selected device issue, it's really that the USB cable needs to be unplugged and replugged...
mad.gif
   Otherwise works flawlessly!   (Original Aune T1 with original tube, 4 years old)

I had an issue like this a couple years ago, and it was solved for me by using a different USB cable.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #8,047 of 8,309
  I had an issue like this a couple years ago, and it was solved for me by using a different USB cable.

Sadly, it is a different USB cable...
frown.gif

Oh, and also, has anyone ever modded their T1 to remove the light, dim it or change its color?  I like the natural orange glow of the tube, but the white light kinda overwhelms the tube...

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #8,048 of 8,309
Mar 12, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #8,049 of 8,309
Hi everyone , I am currently using my aune T1 simultaneously on my tv and my computer using the usb output on the pc and the rca one for the TV but the TV sound way worse than the pc due to I believe the fact that the rca output dont use the tube. I mainly use my TV with my Wii U , is there a way to connect the usb output directly to the Wii U or the TV using a converter or something ? I tried pluging the aune into the usb port on the Wii U but it doesn't worked and my TV only have hdmi and rca output.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #8,050 of 8,309
  Hi everyone , I am currently using my aune T1 simultaneously on my tv and my computer using the usb output on the pc and the rca one for the TV but the TV sound way worse than the pc due to I believe the fact that the rca output dont use the tube. I mainly use my TV with my Wii U , is there a way to connect the usb output directly to the Wii U or the TV using a converter or something ? I tried pluging the aune into the usb port on the Wii U but it doesn't worked and my TV only have hdmi and rca output.

Unfortunately no. Aune T1 must receive any digital signals through USB, and they are coded differently compared to toslink. I'm sure your tv has toslink (either a Coaxial or Optical audio out). There are Digital to Digital Converters (DDC) but they're usually for USB to toslink. It might be expensive to find one that converts toslink to USB.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #8,051 of 8,309
New Aune T1(se) owner here with somewhere close to 30 hours listening, rolling a few tubes and generally enjoying the device.
So far I like the added warmth and general fun-factor compared to my other DAC/AMPs which includes Dragonly Red, EncoreMDSD, Behringer UCA202, Sound Blaster E5, Xonar U7 and Hifiberry DAC Pro+  

As others already stated the amplifier is the only part that is lacking to my ears, admittedly I am comparing to my Ifi ICAN SE which is a solid step up.

One Q regarding to the built-in amp: it seems to me that the amp is unchanged trough the revisions, would it therefor be possible to do the cap-mod on the T1se as well?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-ss-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq-updated-on-02-14-15/6165#post_10977354
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/238148-diy-replacingupgrading-capacitors-on-the-aune-t1-image-heavy/

Even tough I have a perfectly good amp in the ICAN, I would prefer a slightly better output from a single device those times I need a bit of "portability".

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #8,052 of 8,309
For anyone who has this device, Aune has a new driver up on their website now. It appeared there about a week ago. It is an updated XMOS driver for the MK2 and MK3 version. Just click on T1se on the left, and the driver will be available to download.

http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=/Home/Article/gjxzhz.html

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #8,053 of 8,309
Just thought Id chime in on this thread. Ive had my Aune T1 (1st gen) for a little over a year now. Used it with DT990's, HD600's, ATH-M50's, and now my HE-400S. Its honestly a great DAC. I purchased the Genelex (Sp?) Gold Lion tube off the recommendation from this thread (1st post) and felt it had a nice warmth to it over the stock tube - it filtered it to giving a sound more in line with what Im used to from actual tube amps. Ive never tried any other's with it, but havent ruled it out in the future. I recently upgraded to a Schiit Magni 2U and kept the T1 as a DAC - I can definitely say even with headphones that are fairly sensitive and lowish impedance, the magni 2U made a substantial improvement from the built in amp. When I saw this, it made me think, maybe I need to try a modi dac - so I did - well turns out I ended up selling the Modi 2U I picked up. I would def say its more neutral, but I still strongly prefer the warmer sound of the T1. So Id say thats one of the T1's biggest pluses - even if you decide you want a better amp down the road, you still have an amazing DAC.

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #8,054 of 8,309
  Just thought Id chime in on this thread. Ive had my Aune T1 (1st gen) for a little over a year now. Used it with DT990's, HD600's, ATH-M50's, and now my HE-400S. Its honestly a great DAC. I purchased the Genelex (Sp?) Gold Lion tube off the recommendation from this thread (1st post) and felt it had a nice warmth to it over the stock tube - it filtered it to giving a sound more in line with what Im used to from actual tube amps. Ive never tried any other's with it, but havent ruled it out in the future. I recently upgraded to a Schiit Magni 2U and kept the T1 as a DAC - I can definitely say even with headphones that are fairly sensitive and lowish impedance, the magni 2U made a substantial improvement from the built in amp. When I saw this, it made me think, maybe I need to try a modi dac - so I did - well turns out I ended up selling the Modi 2U I picked up. I would def say its more neutral, but I still strongly prefer the warmer sound of the T1. So Id say thats one of the T1's biggest pluses - even if you decide you want a better amp down the road, you still have an amazing DAC.

I've read a review (unfortunately I forgot where) that said the T1 sounded better than the modi/magni stack. 

I listen to my HD6XX, Fidelio X2, and AKG K7XX's with the T1 se. I tried the Gold Lion tube (also as mentioned on the first post), but it was too dark for me. The only headphones that sounded good with the Gold Lion were the AKGs. I just used the stock tube now and it sounds great.

I'm getting a Bottlehead Crack soon, so I'll be using the T1 as a dedicated DAC. It's nice to know others who have found it to be a high quality DAC. I've noticed that the DAC is powered by USB, so the amp can be turned off while the DAC is still on. It just needs to be plugged into the computer. EDIT: The DAC is not powered by USB.

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #8,055 of 8,309

I'm getting a Bottlehead Crack soon, so I'll be using the T1 as a dedicated DAC. It's nice to know others who have found it to be a high quality DAC. I've noticed that the DAC is powered by USB, so the amp can be turned off while the DAC is still on. It just needs to be plugged into the computer. 

Really?
I imagined the tube would need more power than what's available from USB. Never tried it myself.

Wait my unit doesn't run on USB alone. I just remembered I've go it connected but not turned on in several occasions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back