Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 22, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #7,981 of 8,309
I think it would be better to invest in a better DAC than getting an OPA for the T1.

But then again, if you upgrade you can just swap the OPA in the new DAC with the upgraded one you have.

**edit:
I'm not too good with op amps, but isn't the OPA2134 the op amp people upgrade to from their current op amps? I know a modder that swaps out the stock PSX OPA with the OPA2134 and new power supply for it. So I guess its already pretty good.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #7,982 of 8,309
  I think it would be better to invest in a better DAC than getting an OPA for the T1.

Define better? To my ears and with my gear I really do not feel & hear any need for better. I`m using Siemens E88CC goldpin and upgraded to SilmicII + Panasonic FR caps. It really sounds awesome with huge holographical 3D soundstage and great micro-details.
But then again, if you upgrade you can just swap the OPA in the new DAC with the upgraded one you have.

True but I don`t plan to sell my T1 anyway (wouldn`t get money it`s worth) and just cause I like to tinker sometimes with gear, I wish to get "maximum" out of it.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #7,983 of 8,309
  Define better? To my ears and with my gear I really do not feel & hear any need for better. I`m using Siemens E88CC goldpin and upgraded to SilmicII + Panasonic FR caps. It really sounds awesome with huge holographical 3D soundstage and great micro-details.
True but I don`t plan to sell my T1 anyway (wouldn`t get money it`s worth) and just cause I like to tinker sometimes with gear, I wish to get "maximum" out of it.

Ah the holy grail Siemens E88CC, planned to get that one but I changed my mind and now currently saving for a beefier DAC with balanced out and multiple ins.
Do you use a different amp for it?

Don't need to sell your old gears, keep them and you have multiple for work, bedside, living room, etc.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #7,984 of 8,309
  Do you use a different amp for it?

No, that`s why I wanted to improve opamps. As I`ve read and also came to my own conclusion - T1 amp portion is its weakest part. Not planning to get separate amp. 
I wonder if there is some cheaper(but better SQ) opamps from ADA-family I could replace against?

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #7,985 of 8,309
I have to say I am rather tempted to open my T1 SE MK3 up and see the total of what has been updated compared to previous revisions other than having XMOS and DSD1793 now. I am curious if anything has been changed in the headphone amp section. One thing to note, is my packaging is completely different from those with an MK1 and MK2. Mine came in a gorgeous black box with the "aune" logo in silver on the front. Inside the box, everything was presented very nicely. The manual and driver were on a memory stick which was also included. I am now waiting for my Gold Lion E88CC to show up to put in this puppy. It should be here in about a week.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #7,986 of 8,309
  I have to say I am rather tempted to open my T1 SE MK3 up and see the total of what has been updated compared to previous revisions other than having XMOS and DSD1793 now. I am curious if anything has been changed in the headphone amp section. One thing to note, is my packaging is completely different from those with an MK1 and MK2. Mine came in a gorgeous black box with the "aune" logo in silver on the front. Inside the box, everything was presented very nicely. The manual and driver were on a memory stick which was also included. I am now waiting for my Gold Lion E88CC to show up to put in this puppy. It should be here in about a week.

Oh cool! Please post impressions. Have you got around to listening to it yet? I think you might be the only one in here who has one.

I spent a small fortune tube rolling my MK1, but I always kept coming back to the stock tube as being the most natural to my ears, without any flubbiness that 6922s can have. But this is coming from a guy who is really a solid state type, so take that with a grain of salt. I'm interested that the T1 SE MK3 can actually output, using the tube, to an external amp, which is really cool, for just using the DAC and the tube. I'd love to hear how it sounds running into my SPL Auditor.

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #7,987 of 8,309
Hi Guys, back after a long time. Glad to see yall are still messing with this thing. I see the cap upgrade and wanted to know if anyone has part numbers, where to get them or if you have extra to sell I could buy. Thanks

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #7,988 of 8,309
  I am now an owner of the Aune T1 SE MK3. I have had it for a couple days now. I have to say it is pretty impressive. I own the SoundMagic HP150 and AKG K545. I also own the Fiio E12. The T1 SE MK3 has good synergy with both pairs of headphones. I will say though that the K545 is better sounding to me than the HP150, but that is a comparison review I may put up another day soon. I have done several tests using both headphones with the T1, and the K545 is definitely the better option. This is the same result with the Fiio E12, and any other gear I have tried as well. The K545 is just a better sounding headphone. I have never owned the T1 MK1 or MK2, so unfortunately I can not do a comparison. One complaint I do have with the stock tube on my SE MK3 is that at times the bass can be a tad slow and loose. It lacks tightness and refinement across the bass regions with heavy metal music which is my genre of choice. I am also noticing that the treble is somewhat tizzy and lacking some articulation. It is a bit of a mess in the upper frequencies on some tracks. I am about 8 hours in with the DAC/AMP so far. Other than the couple things mentioned, the T1 SE MK3 is offering a good experience with my K545, although not mind busting.

Edit: I just ended up ordering the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC Gold Pin version. I will update my impression of the T1 once the new tube arrives.

Hey EVOLVIST, I posted the following above on the previous page. I am still burning it in, but I will say I am not totally satisfied with the stock tube. Out of the box, the T1 SE MK3 sounds good, but not amazing. Bass is lacking in tightness. It is just far too loose. Also, in the upper treble I can hear that tizzy and unrefined character. It is not as articulate as I would like. Soundstage though is fairly decent. Everything is nicely separated, and instrument location is easy to determine within songs. However, I know the Gold Lion E88CC I ordered will improve things drastically. I do wonder if the headphone amp section has been updated though in the latest MK3 revision. Tonight I decided to use the T1 just as a DAC, and connect my Fiio E12 to it to power my AKG K545. People may be surprised, but the sound quality was shockingly similar to when using the amp section in the T1 itself. The bass on the Fiio E12 was tighter, more detailed, and controlled, but in terms of soundstage the T1 was the winner. Everything was more broad, open, wide, and had that toe tapping character.

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #7,989 of 8,309
I opened my MK3 tonight to check for internal changes compared to previous revisions. Here is what I found.

All PCBs are black instead of blue.
STM8S003K3T6C  8 Bit Microcontroller
Texas Instruments LE244A USB interface chip.
Texas Instruments N5532A OPAMP for DAC section.
Texas Instruments N5532A OPAMP for AMP section.
DSD1793 DAC.
XMOS chip.

Interesting that the unit is not using the OPA2134 OPAMP for the DAC section. It is using another N5532A. Hopefully this helps anyone who was curious about changes.

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #7,992 of 8,309
You could probably solder a socket onto it and then you could roll op amps.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #7,994 of 8,309
My Genalex Gold Lion E88CC Gold Pin tube showed up yesterday. Oh my, what an awesome difference from the stock tube. After I burn it in for a few days I will toss up my thoughts. Right away though, the differences for the better are easily noticeable.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #7,995 of 8,309
  My Genalex Gold Lion E88CC Gold Pin tube showed up yesterday. Oh my, what an awesome difference from the stock tube. After I burn it in for a few days I will toss up my thoughts. Right away though, the differences for the better are easily noticeable.

I upgraded to this tube as well, and was also pleasantly surprised about the detail and difference compared to the stock tube. And the tube is easy to find and quite affordable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back