Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 20, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #7,711 of 8,309
Cheers!

Will see if I can find some real world reviews.

Next question (this is where I screwed up last night - wine and 2 question being combined into gibberish)

If I was looking at getting a full sized valve amp to power mid range cans (currently own akg 550 which will stay with the T1) where is the best place to start looking? Again budget around 500ish, but that can be flexible within reason.. 

I was thinking maybe sen650 + bottlehead crack

or

hifiman planars + ??

I got reading to do.

ps - I realize I should ask this elsewhere, but these types of questions tend to get lost among the huge threads.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #7,712 of 8,309
  Cheers!

Will see if I can find some real world reviews.

Next question (this is where I screwed up last night - wine and 2 question being combined into gibberish)

If I was looking at getting a full sized valve amp to power mid range cans (currently own akg 550 which will stay with the T1) where is the best place to start looking? Again budget around 500ish, but that can be flexible within reason.. 

I was thinking maybe sen650 + bottlehead crack

or

hifiman planars + ??

I got reading to do.

ps - I realize I should ask this elsewhere, but these types of questions tend to get lost among the huge threads.

Geeez, wide range.

I have the Crack & Speedball and with the HD650 or the Beyerdynamic T90 it's a sublime combo. Plus you open up Pandora's box of tube rolling (which can be fun until it's your financial ruin, LOL).

But I am also a huge fan of the Hifiman's. I have the HE-560 and love that headphone. With the leather pads - and a powerful amp (you can even try some cheap vintage amp with the HE-Adapter and a balanced cable with amazing results), it's equally amazing.

Best is to attend a meet and try them all out if possible and see what "speaks" to you personally.

Cheers,
K

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #7,713 of 8,309
Cheers for the reply!

Attending a meet is a no go for me I'm afraid. I run a smallholding in rural France. I can't really be gone for more then half a day at most (plus my French is terrible). Joys of country living. Forget holidays, long days out and decent internet...

I rely totally on reviews and forums for my purchases really. I just spent the best part of 4.5k euro on a new tv, 5.1 surround and amp without demoing any if it.

The 650 go for around 400 euro here (50 odd euro in tax...). I've not looked to see if I can get a new bottlehead shipped to me. It seems the smart choice. Can always add planers at a later date I suppose.

Sorry for the off topic people! 
o2smile.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #7,719 of 8,309
I just ordered something to see how it interacts with the T1. It's the UpTone Audio USB Regen. Everything I'm reading indicates that it brings significant improvements to all USB DACs. I'll Report back with my findings when it comes in.

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #7,720 of 8,309
This is probably the most idotic question I've ever asked but would you guys happen to know which tube is this? I ask the seller and the only thing he knows is that the tube only has "85/83/65" attached onto it. My google attempts have returned no results so far.

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #7,721 of 8,309
This is probably the most idotic question I've ever asked but would you guys happen to know which tube is this? I ask the seller and the only thing he knows is that the tube only has "85/83/65" attached onto it. My google attempts have returned no results so far.

Could you make large picture of this tube(only tube, from bottom and getter part)? Looks like as Russian tube but I can't see details on your picture.

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #7,722 of 8,309
Dec 25, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #7,723 of 8,309
It's a half triangle, which is the delta symbol, which means it was made by Philips in the Heerlen, Holland plant. 0 indicates the year it was made... 1960 most likely.

That is a nice, vintage tube... Beautiful sounding midrange. Any chance you can see a 7L printed above the delta symbol? See if you can make anything out... That would also tell you the type of tube. Looks to me like an ECC88, which is the 6DJ8... The mica and also the pins are a dead giveaway.

The mica usually gives you an indication of the type... The 10,000 hour rated tubes normally have round mica, whereas this one has tiny little triangle looking pieces holding it against the glass. The pins are normally "gold" on the longer life tubes as well. These ones are steel.

Also look for four indents at the top of the tube- these are essential if it was made by Philips. The grey getter flashing on the top of the tube also looks shorter than Russian made tubes, which is also an indication, and the getter support and getter itself, which looks to be a halo (round).

Russian tubes usually have a saucer style getter, and lots more flashing on the side. The delta symbol is all you really need to see where the tube was made, though.

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #7,724 of 8,309
It's a half triangle, which is the delta symbol, which means it was made by Philips in the Heerlen, Holland plant. 0 indicates the year it was made... 1960 most likely.

That is a nice, vintage tube... Beautiful sounding midrange. Any chance you can see a 7L printed above the delta symbol? See if you can make anything out... That would also tell you the type of tube. Looks to me like an ECC88, which is the 6DJ8... The mica and also the pins are a dead giveaway.

The mica usually gives you an indication of the type... The 10,000 hour rated tubes normally have round mica, whereas this one has tiny little triangle looking pieces holding it against the glass. The pins are normally "gold" on the longer life tubes as well. These ones are steel.

Also look for four indents at the top of the tube- these are essential if it was made by Philips. The grey getter flashing on the top of the tube also looks shorter than Russian made tubes, which is also an indication, and the getter support and getter itself, which looks to be a halo (round).

Russian tubes usually have a saucer style getter, and lots more flashing on the side. The delta symbol is all you really need to see where the tube was made, though.

I'm wowed! The tube actually has a very nice sounding midrange like you said. Unfortunately I can't find any 7L printed above the delta symbol. Here's another view of the tube in action. It has 4 indents like you said... Perhaps it's the EC88 then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back