Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 30, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #6,586 of 8,309
I've found the t1, amperex 7308 and Asgard 2 to be a stellar combo with my sennheiser hd580's...

Cool! Could you describe the change in sound when switching from the integrated T1 amp to the Asgard 2? In comparison to the HDVD800 amp, I found the T1 amp to be "warmer," less detailed, having a more narrow soundstage. Interestingly, I liked the T1 amp more than the HDVD800 when feeding the Sennheiser HD600. I found the HDVD800 to makes highs "sizzle" a bit too much when paired with the HD600 headphones.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #6,587 of 8,309
I found the t1 amp thin sounding. The Asgard 2 gave more body to the sound. It also opened up the soundstage. A good test is, if you have porcupine tree lightbulb sun, listen to the end of hate song and compare the sound of the floor tom in the right channel between amps. You'll see what I mean...

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #6,588 of 8,309
Also, if you have that album, listen to the end of Russia on ice. The first time I heard that song with the Asgard I was like holy crap! I didn't know the 580's bass could hit that hard and low.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #6,593 of 8,309
I think the chord hugo is very expensive myself... I haven't heard it, but I have read that the audio-gd master 7 sounds better. Both of those DACs are very expensive, I would think a Schiit Gungir would be a more modestly priced, very good DAC.

Here is some reading from some people who reviewed a bunch of mostly very expensive DACs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-i-hate-chocolate-ice-cream

If you're using just the DAC in the T1, you could get a boost by buying a premium tube. It all depends on what you listen with and what you prefer for presentation, but an e188cc or cca goes a hell of a long way. Amperex Holland, Amperex USA, Siemens grey plates, Telefunkens... These are all superb tubes. All expensive as well, but personally I have zero ambition to "upgrade" my T1... I prefer the sound of the tubes with it. I also strongly believe you'd get better mileage out of $1000-2000 buying an upgraded headphone amp.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #6,594 of 8,309
Guys I need some opinions on discrete amps to combine with the Aune T1.

I am looking at three things right now, one because an insanely low price, but I wonder about the quality.

1) $25 Little Bear P2 (New)
2) ~$100 Schiit Magni 2
3) ~$120 Schiit Vali

Opinions?  Is there something between those that is better I should go with?  Also if you think the Schiit options are the best, what do yall think about the Vali (subminiature tubes) vs. the pure SS Magni 2?

I also wouldn't mind making my own either from a kit or from a design that has been shared.  Interested to hear what those who have played around with dedicated amps have to say on this.

I am trying to stay as close to $100-$125 as I can, but if there is something much better for $150, I'd take a look.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #6,595 of 8,309
  Guys I need some opinions on discrete amps to combine with the Aune T1.

I am looking at three things right now, one because an insanely low price, but I wonder about the quality.

1) $25 Little Bear P2 (New)
2) ~$100 Schiit Magni 2
3) ~$120 Schiit Vali

Opinions?  Is there something between those that is better I should go with?  Also if you think the Schiit options are the best, what do yall think about the Vali (subminiature tubes) vs. the pure SS Magni 2?

I also wouldn't mind making my own either from a kit or from a design that has been shared.  Interested to hear what those who have played around with dedicated amps have to say on this.

I am trying to stay as close to $100-$125 as I can, but if there is something much better for $150, I'd take a look.

I don't know about the Little Bear, but you would be best served searching the forums for the differences between the Vali and Magni 2. In my experience, the amp you choose will definitely have an impact on the sound but whether the change is good or bad will depend on your headphones and your personal taste. I recall someone posted on here in another threat that the Vali wasn't any better than the amp inside the T1, but I need to go try to find that post again. I'll edit this and post the link if I find it. I don't know much about the Little Bear like I said, but it is kinda hard to imagine an amp for $25 being better than the amp in the T1. 

Edit: I must have been mistaken about the Vali (maybe it was the Magni where someone said they couldnt tell adifference between it and the T1 amp?). Anyway, here is a thread of people who seem to be really happy pairing the T1 up with the Vali.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/723899/schiit-vali-vs-aune-t1

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #6,596 of 8,309
The amp board in the T1 cost $8 to get a replacement.  Mine shorted out when I was screwing around, so I doubt it is hard to beat 
redface.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #6,598 of 8,309
Knowing so much about the T1 and reading that thread just frustrates me haha.  People not knowing how the tube is involved and talking about the stock EH tube sounding better than an Amperex 7308.  Haha, I just stopped reading there.

I appreciate the info and the seller of the Little Bear P2 told me he didn't think it would pair well with my setup (he has much better equipment and was given it as a gift) without a pre-amp.

Right now I am using my Yamaha RX-V863 to power the headphones which is doing a fine job, but if I want to take the T1 with me somewhere, well, that presents a problem.. haha

I really think finding the original Schiit Magni for a good price may be my best bet, but I am definitely open to any suggestions.

I am definitely interested in some DIY amps, any suggestions in that price range? ~$100

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #6,599 of 8,309
$79 is a good price, no?
http://schiit.com/products/magni

Hmm, a good $100 amp... http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared

I'd go with the Schiit myself, over say a FiiO or something.

What are you looking to improve from the T1 soundwise?

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #6,600 of 8,309
New experiment in the works! I found sweet prices on a Burson HA-160 and a 1962 Dario Miniwatt 188cc. Now just waiting on them to arrive in the mail. We're going to see how far the old T1 can scale up. Hoping the tube DAC and the extra warm Dario will yield a "best of both worlds" sound with the solid state Burson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back