Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 5, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #6,616 of 8,309
  Hi there,

I'm Scott, and I am new to all of this equipment, and admittedly a bit lost (although excited about where I will likely end up once I get this all figured out).

So, I bought my first piece of equipment in search of seeing just how good music can sound. Specifically, I picked up the Aune T1 MkII and it arrived today. Like a kid, I just had to play with this new equipment right away and am concerned that the unit I received is defective somehow. I'll do my best to explain the issues I've noticed.

I know that the unit requires about 50 hours of running time before it will sound like it should, and assume that is why it generally sounds a bit muddy out of the box (especially in the middle frequencies - I really hope I'm not making a fool of myself trying to explain this, haha). On the positive side, I've already listened to several tracks and have heard things in these songs that I never knew existed in the background. To say that I am intrigued & excited about the possibilities of this unit would be an understatement. The reason I am concerned that the unit I have is defective somehow has to do with the gain settings. As others have mentioned, the unit arrived with everything switched to the ON setting. I switched everything off as a starting point and was shocked at how awful the thing sounded. So, it was on to fiddling. This is what I've found:

If I move both "1" switches to on, the vocals almost completely disappear.

If I only move the "1" switch closest to the end with the headphone jack, the vocals come back and the unit sounds much better (although the vocals still do not match the sound I previously got by going through the headphone jack in the computer itself).

If I switch on both "2" switches, it gets a bit louder, and neither improves, nor detracts from the music much. I currently have these off as the sound seems slightly better with them off vocally.

The only other observations I've made are that it sounds best with the Foobar2000 music player (which I read about here) and I only need turn the volume 1/4 of the way up to get a volume which I enjoy (vocals seem almost normal with this player). When I use my VLC or Windows Media Player to watch a concert DVD (or any other video) I need to turn the volume up to the 12 o'clock position to get the same volume.

I don't know if computer hardware is important, but what I am working with is a Windows 7 PC. I initially had a very digitized sound coming out of the unit, but reading up on the USB connections, I was able to adjust the settings and made sure to get it in to a solo slot and that problem went away.

So, any thoughts? Is there something wrong with my unit, or is this normal?

Once I get this figured out, it's on to headphone recommendations. I was thinking of the Mad Dog Pro, anyone know how well those pair with the Aune?

The gain switch is per channel. Each DIP switch box is for left or right.

So I just tried it on mine and no, vocals do not disappear, it purely affects the volume/gain comping out of your headphones. Check your headphone connectors. But it is important that both switches are in the same position. So either all off, both 1 on 2off or both on.

If music sounds in any way distorted, or as you said: digitized. Something is weird. Do you have another PC you can try it on?

Since the T1 is a pretty powerful amp leaving them on zero gain is in my opinion the best idea. Which headphones are you using with the T1? If you don't have any high impedance headphones, no gain is needed.

Cheers,
K

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #6,617 of 8,309

Well, interestingly enough, I was using Klipsch Image One headphones and was having a great deal of difficulty with the vocals.

For the hell of it, I pulled out my ancient Koss Pro4AA Titanium headphones which I have never liked the sound of, and popped them in. With no gain, they sounded very good, although I had to crank the volume quite a bit to get them to really sing. I then tried all of the gain switches and Whammo! The vocals are perfect, and the sound is beyond what I ever expected - especially with these headphones as they just never sounded very good with any equipment I had ever tried them on (I suspect it was an issue of power with these Koss cans). To my amazement, these old headphones which I've always looked at rather scornfully as money wasted suddenly sound quite good!

So, perhaps it's an issue with those Klipsch headphones......

I've also done more reading, and realize that I was also testing this with very vocal heavy music (Joe Cocker). A quick switch to old house music from my club days and yeah, the sound is spectacular even without burn-in of the tube.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #6,618 of 8,309
Oh, and thanks for the reply :)

I am so relieved that there is nothing wrong with the Aune, and that it appears to have been an issue with the headphones. With the Koss, I've settled on 10db of gain and they are sounding pretty fantastic. Considering these aren't very highly regarded cans, I can only imagine what the T1 can do with a good set of headphones.

I'm thinking about the Mad Dog Pro headphones, and also picking up a Amperex orange globe 6DJ8/ECC88 tube to bring out the vocals on my Joe Cocker albums (which I listen to way too frequently!).

This equipment is going to turn in to an obsession I think.....

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #6,619 of 8,309
  Oh, and thanks for the reply :)

I am so relieved that there is nothing wrong with the Aune, and that it appears to have been an issue with the headphones. With the Koss, I've settled on 10db of gain and they are sounding pretty fantastic. Considering these aren't very highly regarded cans, I can only imagine what the T1 can do with a good set of headphones.

I'm thinking about the Mad Dog Pro headphones, and also picking up a Amperex orange globe 6DJ8/ECC88 tube to bring out the vocals on my Joe Cocker albums (which I listen to way too frequently!).

This equipment is going to turn in to an obsession I think.....

Hi! As you've known now, yes there's nothing wrong with your Aune T1 unit. The problem is in the TRRS connector your Klipsch has, it doesn't play well with TRS equipments (like the amp and the mini to quarter inch converter). TRRS and TRS refers to the type of jack your headphone has. Headsets with a mic require an extra connector on the jack for the mic, so it doesn't align well with some equipments that doesn't have an extra connector.

If you notice, there's only 2 insulating bands on your Koss, but there are 3 on your Klipsch. If you want to use the Klipsch, you'll need to press and hold the answer button to complete the circuit for the vocals to appear again. I'm not sure what's the issue here, probably grounding?

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #6,620 of 8,309
  Good to hear! I've read some great things about that amp. It's a bit out of my price range at the moment, but I'll definitely make note of your further impressions for when I'm ready to upgrade.

Joe,

may be you don't need an upgrade bacause you already have an upgrade.:).
Check that thread please http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project.

It's really great improvement but you will need some cables/resistors to connect headphones.

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #6,621 of 8,309
Thanks for the impressions. This sounds in line with the general consensus that I'd read about these tubes... very organic sounding, yet also very neutral. I'm having a tough time trying to understand how that would sound compared to the Miniwatt sound that I love. The Miniwatt's have the deep, tight bass of the Siemens tubes, beautiful Amperex mids, and extended highs as well. I've found they can be very 3d/holographic sounding tubes, and also very detailed sounding at the same time. I think there's a slight emphasis on the higher end (perhaps)... 

Anyway, I've ordered a bunch of different tubes in the last while and I'll post impressions later. D-getter Amperex E88CC, 60's and 70's US-made 7308s, and some more Miniwatts. My absolute favourite is still the Phillips VR3 Holland tubes... hoping that will change :wink:

edit: looking forward to hearing about the Dario as well. Is it from Heerlen, or another factory? I also found some A-frame E188CC Valvo made tubes with Hamburg codes... they should be interesting to hear. I didn't even know Valvo made tubes... apparently I guess Valvo = Philips for Germany, so I guess they are technically Philips made tubes. Really interested in hearing how they compare to the Heerlen tubes. From my experience, the "Germany" stamped Amperex tubes had really shrill/unrefined highs that sounded terrible to me. I'm hoping the Hamburg factory didn't make the 6dj8's I had that sounded that way.

The Dario is from Harleen 1962. I was looking for that year and origin, specifically. I will absolutely post impressions. Hopefully shipping doesn't take too long...

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #6,623 of 8,309
The Dario is from Harleen 1962. I was looking for that year and origin, specifically. I will absolutely post impressions. Hopefully shipping doesn't take too long...

Any idea which VR batch? Does it have a week code printed at the top as well? Cool.

Yup. VR5, Delta2G2

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #6,624 of 8,309
  Joe,

may be you don't need an upgrade bacause you already have an upgrade.:).
Check that thread please http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project.

It's really great improvement but you will need some cables/resistors to connect headphones.

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually set on getting a Digizoid ZO FS as my next amp. It doesn't get a lot of attention because it doesn't seem hi-fi but...I believe that is a misconception.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6,625 of 8,309
  Thanks for the advice. I'm actually set on getting a Digizoid ZO FS as my next amp. It doesn't get a lot of attention because it doesn't seem hi-fi but...I believe that is a misconception.

Good luck!
It always nervous - how will sound new amp with your DAC and headphones.
I hope you will enjoy your next amp.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #6,626 of 8,309
I ended up deciding on an amplifier to pair with the Aune T1.  I found a good deal on a Schiit Magni 2 and bought it.  This Magni 2 is obviously still under warranty considering it has a 5 year warranty and the Magni 2 only released roughly 2 months ago (I also have 14 days to return).  I'm excited to see how it pairs with my modded Aune T1 and SoundMAGIC HP150s that I just got new pads for.

I'll let you guys know how the Schiit Magni 2 does with my combo since it is one of the most popular SS amplifiers below $100 (before SH) and retains the same semi-portability the T1 has.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #6,629 of 8,309
  Was wondering why you didn't go with the Magni 2 Uber?

Because I found the Magni 2 barely used for $80 shipped and the Uber is over double that cost shipped.  If I get the Magni 2 and I am not impressed then the uber will add nothing for purely driving HP150s.

Also I have no need for pre-amp outputs or more power than the Magni 2.  If I want to power speakers I'll send the signal to my Yamaha RX-V863 from the Aune T1 directly (like I am now), but I have a modded ZXR with upgraded Op-Amps going into Multi-Channel inputs on my RX-V863 (see my avatar), so I never bother using anything else to drive my speakers.  With my mylar cap DC mod and ADA op-amps, I couldn't be more impressed with my ZXR than I am right now.  I have roughly $400 in that sound card, more than my GTX 970, haha.

My headphones are not hard to drive, they are 32 Ohm SoundMAGIC HP150s (95dB/mW@1 KHz)

The only benefits of the Uber are: 1) Pre-Amp Outputs 2) More Power 3) Aluminum Chassis Top

From their post on Head-Fi:

"Magni 2. All-new discrete headphone amp with 1.2W RMS per channel (32 ohms) and switchable high/low gain, together with a refined constant-feedback gain stage. $99. "

"Magni 2 Uber. All-new discrete headphone amp with 1.5W RMS per channel (32 ohms), switchable high/low gain, preamp outputs, and even more sophisticated constant-feedback gain stage. Also includes new 24VA wall transformer (3x larger than Magni) and aluminum top chassis and knob. $149."

--------------------------------------------

1.2W RMS will be enough to deafen me and unless I really wanted an Aluminum top chassis!! I don't see the reason to spend over double what I paid for a 2 week old Magni 2 (shipping is $15, so the Uber costs $164.99 shipped).  Or do you think an "even more sophisticated constant-feedback gain stage" is worth $85
wink.gif

I was wrong about one thing, the Warranty is 2 years, not 5 years like it says at the bottom of the site.  Oh and try to find a picture of the Magni 2 Uber PCB anywhere, so far I can't even find it and I am pretty sure that $50 is spent on the Pre-Amp/Chassis/24VA transformer.  I have modded guitar amps many times in my life and "even more sophisticated" is probably a $5 improvement in parts.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #6,630 of 8,309
I ended up pairing my Aune with Matrix M-Stage. It's great.

Now thinking to replace my stock 6922EH.
Genalex Gold Lion or Mullard ECC88?

Siemens 6922.  Besides my Siemens I have an Amperex 6922, GE Smokie ECC88, JAN Philips 6922, and Tesla 6922.  My Siemens 6922 (possible CCa) wins hands down, no question.  For gaming however I run my GE Smokie because it seems stupid running an $85 tube for gaming.

Here is a good deal on a RCA labeled gold pin Siemens 6922.  You can find out who actually made it by the codes on the metal frame inside the tubes (RCA didn't produce tubes in Germany).  For example I have an Amperex 6922 that is a labeled RCA and it was made in West Germany.  It may not be as cool as it saying Siemens, but you can't beat that price or the quality of that type of year from Siemens.  I did see these also, which are Siemens labeled and the tests are very very good for $50, but you don't know which out of the 4 tubes you are getting.  I would assume you can select which one when you buy since he has 3 left.  I'd say that is also worth checking into, maybe even more than the RCA labeled one.  There are a lot of good deals on Ebay and I have only purchased NOS tubes from Ebay with not a single problem.  If the seller has good feedback on selling tubes and they list the equipment (or picture of tube during testing is even better, but cost more), you normally have nothing to worry about and the EBay 14 day return applies to them still.

$53.50 shipped if you do buy it now, but I bet he would take $40-$45.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Siemens-6922-6DJ8-Gold-Pins-Wide-Getter-Support-A49G-94-89-TV-7-/321639510654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae335727e

Tests 94/89 on my recently calibrated TV/7.  Subjective Microphonic Level on a scale of 10, where 0 is free of microphonic noise and 10 is extremely noisy: 1 Extremely quiet.

It's not perfect, but a perfectly balanced Siemens 6922 like the one I have runs between $85-$200 depending on the seller.  However some days you may see one for $50 that is almost perfectly balanced, but it is very rare someone with the equipment and knowledge would price it that low as these tubes are very sought after.

Just for example here is a pair of Siemens 6922 labeled RCAs for $400:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-new-tubes-Siemens-RCA-6922-Gold-pins-factory-matched-NOS-NIB-Germany-1960s-/121373360670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c426a821e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back