Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 25, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #6,573 of 8,309
  jw @Rozenberg does it support files over 24/96 natively? Also, does it do 88.2?

I hope I could answer this with more experience, but looking from what I got in Windows 7, mine is only maxed at 16 bit 96 kHz while on 8.1 laptop, it has up to 32 bit.
I rarely listen to 24 bit files but decided to check it out just in case, and it's missing 24 bit option on both so I guess it doesn't support it.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #6,574 of 8,309
Hello,
I can't get WASAPI(push and event) to work on my T1. Error:"Unrecoverable playback error: Exclusive mode not allowed" (foobar). Anyone knows why?
Thanks
frown.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #6,575 of 8,309

Mine has the "T1 MK2 TUBE USB DAC" in the front

THANKS!  I've been using my ears and not my eyes to review this thing. I got one from Amazon Warehouse and thought I got a deal.  Looking at the box, it has a barcode sticker covering the original label they used which only says Aune T1 upgradec version - nothing stating MK2 on that label or my box.

If I didn't see this post, I wouldn't have even looked for MK2 on the front.  Caught just in time to make it for the MK2 massdrop (which comes with a free Gold Lion tube-that i'm assuming is the E88CC that a lot have reviewed).

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #6,576 of 8,309
I bought a used T1 from a third party seller on Amazon. They said it was a mk 2. It's not. Hopefully don't have any issues returning it. I notice it does have a fairly high noise floor. Is that normal?  It has the Electro Harmonix 6922 installed.Have the gain switches at 0.
Thanks for any info.

Howard

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #6,577 of 8,309
Guess the noise floor might depend on which tube you're using. In general, I'm pretty sure solid state gear has higher specs. I don't honestly think there is much difference at all between mk1 and mk2, but it is nice to get what you thought you were buying :)

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #6,578 of 8,309
Also, just wondering, but I take it by noise floor you mean that you can hear a hum/background noise? You really shouldn't hear any feedback/humming/whatever. If you do, it may be the tube, or interference from electronics close by... I notice my cellphone will create noise if it's in close proximity and I'm receiving a text. Also, USB can be the cause of noise too. Hope your mk2 has a nice black background...

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #6,579 of 8,309
Yes. What I would consider a significant amount of hum. Using usb. No other devices around. I have a severe case of tinnitus. I use headphones a good portion of the time for sound therapy. I listen to music at low volume to break up the monotony of the therapy. Figured I might as well make it a hobby.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #6,580 of 8,309
Ahh cool. I find tubes to be very nice compared to some of the crisp, fatiguing sounding solid state gear I've used before. I do find the EH tube to have highs which are a bit unrefined to my ears, but I'm probably just quibbling. They still sound good.

As for the hum, sounds like you got a bunk T1, glad you're returning it.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #6,581 of 8,309
T1 shouldn't be humming. So I guess there's something wrong with the unit. Also since the seller listed as a MK2 but sold you a MK1, it must be a case of a dishonest owner wanting to rid the faulty unit. Make sure you get a refund and get yourself a new unit if you can. It's worth every cent.

Depending on your headphone's/earphone's sensitivity, the Aune T1 with stock 6922 tube is very silent (low noise floor). Only my sensitive earphone will have a little bit of hissing on very loud volumes with no music playing. Different tubes will have different noise floors, but it shouldn't bother too much since music will definitely drown the hissing out.

Very best.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #6,582 of 8,309
  I bought a used T1 from a third party seller on Amazon. They said it was a mk 2. It's not. Hopefully don't have any issues returning it. I notice it does have a fairly high noise floor. Is that normal?  It has the Electro Harmonix 6922 installed.Have the gain switches at 0.
Thanks for any info.

Howard

massdrop has the MK2 for 169.99 + a bonus gold lion tube. Don't bother looking for one in the amazon warehouse. I'm returning mine, that is an MK1. They'll probably just try to resell it as an MK2 again.   Only problem is an est ship date of feb 18

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #6,583 of 8,309
Hi,

I was just wondering how you were able to tell the MK1 and the M2 apart.

I just put in an order for the Mk2 on ebay, and I just wanted to confirm whether I receive a legitimate mk2 or not

So far, opening up the case and examining the internals appears to be one method of distinguishing the two 

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #6,584 of 8,309
  massdrop has the MK2 for 169.99 + a bonus gold lion tube. Don't bother looking for one in the amazon warehouse. I'm returning mine, that is an MK1. They'll probably just try to resell it as an MK2 again.   Only problem is an est ship date of feb 18

Awesome deal. I find myself sticking with the Genalex Gold Lion after all this time. But I do have a Miniwatt Dario E188CC (Holland) on the way. We'll see which one likes my Magnums the best.

On another note, I have come to realize that if you pair a separate amplifier up with the Aune T1, it can have a SIGNIFICANT impact on the sound, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. For instance, I paired the T1 up with a Sennheiser HDVD800 amp recently and the sound was absolutely wild with the Genalex Gold Lion. It was placing the sound "in my head." The soundstage was bizarrely both expansive and suffocating. It wasn't good or bad, just strange and a bit impressive. I swapped the Genalex out for the 6n23p Rocket Logo and things became more "normal." There are just so many tubes and so many amps, it could really take a long time to find the best setup. And that tube you bought that sounded MEH when you first fired it up in the T1? With the right amp, who knows how great it might be? But for those of you out there who have the T1 only and want to keep tweaking the sound over time...after you've found a tube or two that you like, try out some different amplifiers with the T1--you might be pretty surprised at the results. That's not to say that the T1 amp is horrible, it's just that the entire character of the sound can be different with a different amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back