Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 15, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #6,541 of 8,309
  Just got my T1 MK2 but found that the on/off switch broke after first usage (it's now loose and takes quite a while to get it to work). Just wondering if there is anything special with the on/off switch like needing to push it in when flicking it (noticed my on/off switch can be pushed in), or did I simply get a faulty switch. I'm awaiting a replacement and didn't want the same thing to occur if it was my fault.

You are probably the first person I have heard of breaking the on and off switch.

In other words it must have been a faulty switch.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #6,543 of 8,309

You are probably the first person I have heard of breaking the on and off switch.

In other words it must have been a faulty switch.

Actually someone posted 3 or so months ago with problems with their on/off switch on a new mk ii from mass drop as well... Crappy qa/qc from Aune these days! Sorry to hear about it.

Thanks for the reply. At least it sounds like it was faulty and not me not knowing anything special about the switch. Hopefully the replacement is better.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #6,544 of 8,309
Jan 17, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #6,545 of 8,309
Hey all, original poster here. I've been gone awhile, but I'm back. Glad to see many people have been enjoying the T1!

A brief update: I've been enjoying the Genalex Gold Lion for a while now. I'll be looking to pair the T1 with a better amp sometime in the near future. I'll definitely post some impressions when I find a great match.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #6,546 of 8,309
  Hi, hope you can help, I'm new to Headphone amps & just have got an AKG K612 pro, I am just running it through my Yamaha rxv475 AV Reviever atm.

Would the Aune T1 MK2 6922 be suitable for my setup, as a Headphone amp for running through the reciever & also through a laptop should i choose. Or is something else a better prospect, eg:http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

Well, those are two different animals... The T1 has a tube-buffered DAC + headphone amp + RCA output, whereas the o2 you linked is a portable headphone amp.

The T1 needs to be plugged into a wall socket, so it would work best on a desk, or with your existing receiver... the o2 portable headphone amp runs off batteries and (I suspect) wouldn't really "improve" the quality of your music, as the premise of the o2 amp is to simply amplify whatever is coming in, without colouring or adding distortion. It might improve it a bit, but it will depend on the source.

Unless you plan on using the o2 portable with an iphone or some other portable media player, you'd probably get better use from the T1. Your laptop could play to the o2 portable, but you'd probably be looking to upgrade from your laptop's built in soundcard to a DAC eventually... (it may sound really good, but I'm not sure that you'd notice much of a difference simply using the o2 amp instead of your soundcard, or iphone). 

Having said that, how do you find the AKGs? I have never heard the K612 Pro's before, but the K702's that I owned were very revealing... a bad source would sound bad. They also had fairly intense highs for my ears, which I found some tubes in the T1 could tame a bit. Are you pleased with the sound from your laptop->receiver->AKG's right now? Looking for any change in particular to the sound signature?

I think they'd benefit from a good DAC, which you could use with your laptop and receiver. Not sure if tubes are the way to go... have you given any a listen before?

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #6,547 of 8,309
i'd like to ask... does the different sound the tube rolls provide only works when aune t1 is used as usb dac+amp or say, if i get amperex 7308 and pair it with aune t1 line out as dac only, and plug it to my magni 2 uber, will i get the same amperex benefits?

im looking to sweeten the mids of my dt880 and just start researching between getting budget-fi tube amps (or in this case tube dac), or changing to a different headphone...

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #6,548 of 8,309
  Hi, hope you can help, I'm new to Headphone amps & just have got an AKG K612 pro, I am just running it through my Yamaha rxv475 AV Reviever atm.

Would the Aune T1 MK2 6922 be suitable for my setup, as a Headphone amp for running through the reciever & also through a laptop should i choose. Or is something else a better prospect, eg:http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

My headphone PCB is currently damaged so I have to run it into my Yamaha receiver through line out.  You only lose the stock headphone amp inside the T1, you retain everything else (including the tube buffer).

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #6,549 of 8,309
i'd like to ask... does the different sound the tube rolls provide only works when aune t1 is used as usb dac+amp or say, if i get amperex 7308 and pair it with aune t1 line out as dac only, and plug it to my magni 2 uber, will i get the same amperex benefits?

im looking to sweeten the mids of my dt880 and just start researching between getting budget-fi tube amps (or in this case tube dac), or changing to a different headphone...

I think you can do it. I've asked here before and someone told me he is using his T1 with Asgard 2 through RCA out.
I'm also going to buy Magni 2 Ūber btw

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #6,550 of 8,309

Short answer: yes.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #6,551 of 8,309
anybody pair aune t1 with dt880?

what kinds of improvements does aune t1 provides to the dt880?
(with the stock tube... i really dont have another $100 to shell for the amperex 7308 :frowning2: )

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #6,552 of 8,309
anybody pair aune t1 with dt880?

what kinds of improvements does aune t1 provides to the dt880?
(with the stock tube... i really dont have another $100 to shell for the amperex 7308
frown.gif
)

Don't think of it as 'improving'. 

Most dac/amp only alter the sounds by coloring the sounds, making the headphone reproduce a slightly different frequency response. Just like real life colors (yellow, blue, red, etc), you might like it, then again you might not.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #6,553 of 8,309

Most dac/amp only alter the sounds by coloring the sounds, making the headphone reproduce a slightly different frequency response. Just like real life colors (yellow, blue, red, etc), you might like it, then again you might not.

do you have dt880 by any chance? how does it colored the dt880?
will it make the midrange more forward or more musical?

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #6,554 of 8,309

do you have dt880 by any chance? how does it colored the dt880?
will it make the midrange more forward or more musical?

More forward? More musical? Wot?

I don't have 880. I'm using T1 with HE400. Tube characteristic is usually leaning towards warmer side with less soundstage, with somewhat V curves. This gives a sense of richer, more intimate feels to vocals. If you're looking for soundstage and transparency (including flatter mid), it's better to go with solid state devices. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #6,555 of 8,309
I'm not sure if you'd like the DT880 with the Aune T1 since the amp portion is really bright. But my friend did message me this when I asked about his Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ88 tube.

I can assure you that T1 bright amp can be balance with 6DJ88 tube. The warm sound of the tube will make your listening experience better with stock amp or seperate amp. Changing tube is cheap but will be very effective for T1. I'm not sure if you tried liquidgal Buggle Boy tube. If you read at head-fi, mostly will said 6DJ88 is better than Buggle Boy. But some will said vice versa and your mile may vary. Haven't tried Buggle Boy yet but what I'm trying to say is if you found that you like BB, you should like 6DJ88, depend on your sound preferences and genre. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back