Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #6,496 of 8,309
any tube else that it makes you that feeling?? that sylvania still that good?? not over heating problems?

Regards and thanks for your opinions!

edit:
also I would like to ask about the equipment you people are using, bcs I was Reading almost the 400 pages and some of you are using the DAC to give signal to a AMP or AVR for a speakers and others for headphones, and that it make me a bit confused about the tube`s profiles...bcs seems that a good tuve for speakers is not the same for headphones...personally I play music with a beyer DT880 pro 250ohm , AKG 551, Vsonic gr07, and AKG k319.
What do you think??
Never had any heating issues with any tubes that I've tried/used. My mainstays were the Orange Globe and the Sylvania. I did try others but none jive with me the same way the Sylvania and Amperex did.

You are correct that different tubes are good for different applications. What's good for headphones (Slightly rolled off highs) can be terrible for speakers (Slightly rolled off highs). I believe most of us have said what we're using or we're using and with which tube. Hopefully.

FWIW; Headphones I've used on my Aune T1(As dac or dac/amp) : DT770, DT880, T90s, T1s, HD600, Denon D2000, and AKG Q701.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #6,497 of 8,309

do you mean this one:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/SYLVANIA-6BK7B-VINTAGE-ELECTRONIC-TUBE-MADE-IN-USA-/170112162833?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item279b799c11

I have the T1 and I am waiting from the States a 6922 harmonix, to improve the 6N11...(I was thinking to start from the "factory upgrade" to take perspective)

I just bought this DAC-AMP here in Norway, I hade before Matrix m-stage so is my first time with tubes and I am a bit lost....but it call my atention your expresión about this tuve and the idea that you are using also the dt880....bcs it does not seems so expensive this tube...do you this the sylvania improves significantly the sound level from the harmonix?

some fellow forum qualify the Harmonix pretty good and the price is affordable compared to 7308 and the like that can cost over 50 euros.
From my point of view, perhaps my most successful investment would be changed by K702 DT880 if I look scene or detail, better than randomly changing tubes.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #6,498 of 8,309
do you mean this one:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/SYLVANIA-6BK7B-VINTAGE-ELECTRONIC-TUBE-MADE-IN-USA-/170112162833?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item279b799c11

I have the T1 and I am waiting from the States a 6922 harmonix, to improve the 6N11...(I was thinking to start from the "factory upgrade" to take perspective)

I just bought this DAC-AMP here in Norway, I hade before Matrix m-stage so is my first time with tubes and I am a bit lost....but it call my atention your expresión about this tuve and the idea that you are using also the dt880....bcs it does not seems so expensive this tube...do you this the sylvania improves significantly the sound level from the harmonix?

some fellow forum qualify the Harmonix pretty good and the price is affordable compared to 7308 and the like that can cost over 50 euros.

From my point of view, perhaps my most successful investment would be changed by K702 DT880 if I look scene or detail, better than randomly changing tubes.
That's the one. I paid way less than that. $7 or 8 USD.

I agree, the best upgrade or change you can get is by getting new headphones. Those will make up 80-90% of your enjoyment. If you don't like how the headphones sound, all the dacs and amps in the world won't change your mind. dac/amps/tubes will get you the last 10%.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #6,500 of 8,309
That's the one. I paid way less than that. $7 or 8 USD.

I agree, the best upgrade or change you can get is by getting new headphones. Those will make up 80-90 of your enjoyment. If you don't like how the headphones sound, all the dacs and amps in the world won't change your mind. dac/amps/tubes will get you the last 10%.

I thought that too.....now I have the dt880 pro 250ohms, but I am missing the soundstage of the k551 or the k319, and I thought to use the tube to find that by "hardware" instead using any EQ or changing the headphones....aparently this dt880, not having the same scene, are very analitics, I do not know if to the level of the Q701.
obviously the tube series, 6N11, gives me the feeling that I'm missing much of the quality of these headphones. right? is more, I would say that my takstar hi2050 with my matrix reach higher in soundstage and detail, although less controlled bass and treble somewhat uploaded. I hope it's all because of the tube.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #6,501 of 8,309
  Sylvania tubes are underrated. I have a number of them including these.

SYLVANIA JAN 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE MATCH PAIR 1973 GREEN HORNETS

Interestingly,
find differentiates between these 6DJ8 and 6BK7 (A / B) ?? these last , the 6BK7, achievement not frame them in any profile of this table

chinese.jpg

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #6,502 of 8,309
I thought that too.....now I have the dt880 pro 250ohms, but I am missing the soundstage of the k551 or the k319, and I thought to use the tube to find that by "hardware" instead using any EQ or changing the headphones....aparently this dt880, not having the same scene, are very analitics, I do not know if to the level of the Q701.
obviously the tube series, 6N11, gives me the feeling that I'm missing much of the quality of these headphones. right? is more, I would say that my takstar hi2050 with my matrix reach higher in soundstage and detail, although less controlled bass and treble somewhat uploaded. I hope it's all because of the tube.
Try stretching out the DT880 Pros a little more. They clamp tighter which shrinks the soundstage to a degree. If you relax the clamp, the soundstage should widen up a bit. I had the Prems when I owned the DT880s and I found the soundstage to be on par or better than the K550s.

Another factor of note is that the Pros are 250 ohms, they'll want more voltage than current. I'm not sure the little amp in the T1 can provide enough to really pull the best performance from the 880s.

Sylvania tubes are underrated. I have a number of them including these.

[COLOR=333333]SYLVANIA JAN 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE MATCH PAIR 1973 GREEN HORNETS[/COLOR]

I don't know if they're underrated but I definitely enjoy them. Still have some but as 6SN7s. As a matter of fact, there's one slotted in my Darkvoice 336 right this moment. :)

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #6,503 of 8,309
i'm interested in the T1, but the amp's output impedance is relatively high to 32ohm headphones (i have SoundMAGIC HP100 and Grado SR60i). doesn't that affect the SQ / signature of the headphones? that high output impedance of the amp makes me wonder whether to get this or modi + diy O2. did anybody compare T1's dac with schiit modi / stoner accoustics UD120 ?

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #6,504 of 8,309
  i'm interested in the T1, but the amp's output impedance is relatively high to 32ohm headphones (i have SoundMAGIC HP100 and Grado SR60i). doesn't that affect the SQ / signature of the headphones? that high output impedance of the amp makes me wonder whether to get this or modi + diy O2. did anybody compare T1's dac with schiit modi / stoner accoustics UD120 ?

The modi is dirt cheap... I have one and use it just for tv audio if my T1 is being used elsewhere... for its price, it's a bargain. The sound out of the T1 really varies depending on which tube you plan on using. If, for example, you compare the stock tube to an Amperex Orange Globe tube ($20 or so), you'd probably hear quite a difference.

The modi sounds more like a solid state component than the T1 with most tubes... I generally hear good soundstage and ability to distinguish between different instruments with the modi, and also good bass. The T1 can have a very warm/lush sounding presentation in comparison. I had a pair of Grado SR225 headphones and they sounded very nice with the T1, although I would imagine that the 10ohm output impedence would change the signature very slightly, compared to a much lower impedence output...

If you want to play around with tubes a bit, I would recommend the T1... if not, the modi is a great dac for the price.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #6,505 of 8,309
Just got my Aune T1 Mk2 from Massdrop.  Anybody got any recommendation on tubes for J-Pop and Anime songs?  Will be listening to them on a HD 650 and a AKG K7XX and hopefully a HD 700 soon.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #6,507 of 8,309
  I need some clarification: is it possible to bypass the DAC completely?

Yes, If you will use RCA input. But T1 's amp section is not so good to use it alone.
DAC section of T1 is pretty good with a good tube. Best way to use T1 as a DAC not as a ss amp.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #6,508 of 8,309
Just got my Aune T1 Mk2 from Massdrop.  Anybody got any recommendation on tubes for J-Pop and Anime songs?  Will be listening to them on a HD 650 and a AKG K7XX and hopefully a HD 700 soon.

Good:
Amperex 6dj8 (holland orange globe is nice)
Amperex 7308 (better specs, long life...)
Siemens e88cc or e188cc

Cheaper:
Voskhod 'rocket' 6n23p
Philips jan 6922
Sylvania green logo 6dj8
GE grey glass 6dj8

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #6,510 of 8,309
  The modi is dirt cheap... I have one and use it just for tv audio if my T1 is being used elsewhere... for its price, it's a bargain. The sound out of the T1 really varies depending on which tube you plan on using. If, for example, you compare the stock tube to an Amperex Orange Globe tube ($20 or so), you'd probably hear quite a difference.

The modi sounds more like a solid state component than the T1 with most tubes... I generally hear good soundstage and ability to distinguish between different instruments with the modi, and also good bass. The T1 can have a very warm/lush sounding presentation in comparison. I had a pair of Grado SR225 headphones and they sounded very nice with the T1, although I would imagine that the 10ohm output impedence would change the signature very slightly, compared to a much lower impedence output...

If you want to play around with tubes a bit, I would recommend the T1... if not, the modi is a great dac for the price.

thanks for the info. i went for the Modi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back