Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 24, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #3,631 of 8,309
Quote:
Also, the tube is exactly the one you posted Coil.

For what it counts, we have slighty different labeled tubes referring to printed numbers (mine has 322 EAD + 7002).
Don`t remember exactly from what year my tube is but maybe thats where difference comes? Different year & batch?

Quote:

O_o That`s really weird that you can`t notice any improvement and find it even worse! ;S Green label JAN Sylvania 6922 should definitely be improvement over 6922EH ! First difference you should notice is better & more "foward" mids section + tighter bass. Soundstage is more or less same. Is this your first NOS tube? If you haven`t done analytical comparing before then maybe your ears aren`t used to finding differences. Also, what headphones are you using? 
Btw, there are different label Sylvania`s, are you sure you got Green label JAN Sylvania 6922? Maybe yours is later production (worse sounding?) or it has reached to it`s "end of life"? 

My tube is labeled like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6922-Sylvania-Electronic-Tubes-/251024184077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7235130d 
 Except my tube has different number: 322 and next to it is EAD and there is also vertical number 7002 near the right side of labeling.

I'm using hd650s and this is my first time comparing tubes. I definitely am not used to comparing differences, but thought I would at least notice a few differences and definitely thought I would prefer the new tube, but I find myself wanting to put the old tube back in. I will use it for a week and see if the sound improves.

Well, then I don`t know what to say. With my setup the difference is definitely noticeable from the first moment I plug in my JAN - certainly better than 6922EH in every aspect imho. Well, maybe only thing that is better on 6922EH with only atmospheric electronic music is the bass which has more flow & sustain but in other genres JAN is certain winner.
Maybe HD-650 is too warm headphone for this tube?
HD600 & HD650 WEAKNESSES LACKS DETAIL: The HD600 has a very smooth sound that can sometimes feel slow and slightly blurred. The HD600 is not the last word in terms of detail retrieval.

TOO SMOOTH: The HD650 can sometimes sound suffocated in its own warmth. It can sometimes sound as though it is attempting to lull you to sleep.

TREBLE:....

6922EH sounds more brighter and gives "more air & life" and thus feels better for you? Anyway, sorry that my recommendation didn`t work out for you ;( 

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #3,632 of 8,309
I would have to disagree with the "lacks detail" at least with the hd600s. They're actually very good with detail retrieval, it's just that there's no sparkle in the high end to draw your attention to them so you don't notice it unless you're looking for them. When I had them, hd600, I found they paired well with the t1 with a proper tube. without using an additional amp

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3,633 of 8,309
.If you like tubes, this picture is my garage amp. I built a ss preamp from a kit ($22) built a box, attached it to an early 60's Motorola console amp, added some VU meters and have a little system....It sounds sweet ! 

I lol at this ,I like that 
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #3,634 of 8,309
Well, then I don`t know what to say. With my setup the difference is definitely noticeable from the first moment I plug in my JAN - certainly better than 6922EH in every aspect imho. Well, maybe only thing that is better on 6922EH with only atmospheric electronic music is the bass which has more flow & sustain but in other genres JAN is certain winner.
Maybe HD-650 is too warm headphone for this tube?

6922EH sounds more brighter and gives "more air & life" and thus feels better for you? Anyway, sorry that my recommendation didn`t work out for you ;( 

It's fine. I'll give it a week. And there seem to be a lot of extra factors going into what makes a certain tube sound a certain way. I'll keep looking out for a tube that is good with electronic music. Thanks for the help anyway. Everyone in head fi is very nice.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3,635 of 8,309
It's fine. I'll give it a week. And there seem to be a lot of extra factors going into what makes a certain tube sound a certain way. I'll keep looking out for a tube that is good with electronic music. Thanks for the help anyway. Everyone in head fi is very nice.

Slovetro,

You might like the mid 70s 6N23P Voskhod.   It has very good extension at both the lows and highs, with a very dynamic sound.   Mids are full without being thick, and it's overall a very clean sounding tube.   Not as "tube-y" as some of the Amperex or Mullards.    I think it would work well with electronic music.

I've owned HD650s, I didn't like them mainly based on comfort, but based on their sound signature, too warm of a tube would make them sound very dark.   The HD650s tend to want a pretty resolving, powerful amp to sound their best and they tend to scale in sound quality based on the source chain and amplifier used.   Listened-to through the tube amp I had at the time (Audiovalve/Corda Eartube) they were very detailed sounding headphones.

I have not owned the HD600s, but many accounts find them more neutral than the 650s.

For a good comparison, check out http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Keep in mind that he's using high end / high quality amplification and source in that thread, so his comments about the HD650 not being picky about amplification need to take that into account.

Thanks,
  -Mike

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3,636 of 8,309
slovetro, just to be sure, have you set up your Aune T1 properly? using USB input? how is your gain switch set? WASAPI, ASIO or KSP?  What OS? Using at least 320kbps mp3`s to compare? 

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #3,637 of 8,309
  well folks, my T1 is in the house, up and running and burning in as we speak.

Thank you all...now on to some basic tube rolling (damn..why couldn't they make it work with 12AU7's ..lol)

Rob,

Check out eBay seller ayumitubes - they make some tube socket adapters, and can probably make up a set of 6DJ8 Socket -> 12AU7 tube adapters if they don't already have them.   I haven't used them before myself, but I've seen their adapters.   No guarantees that they would play well in the Aune, the 12AU7 gain is quite a bit lower than the 6DJ8 family, but could be fun to try them out.

-Mike

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #3,638 of 8,309

Rob,

Check out eBay seller ayumitubes - they make some tube socket adapters, and can probably make up a set of 6DJ8 Socket -> 12AU7 tube adapters if they don't already have them.   I haven't used them before myself, but I've seen their adapters.   No guarantees that they would play well in the Aune, the 12AU7 gain is quite a bit lower than the 6DJ8 family, but could be fun to try them out.

-Mike

Thanks Mike...Its an option..I might just stick with the 6DJ8 family...I guess I shudder a bit because having been through the 12AX7/12AU7 gamut, I am familiar with how it tweeks in my system. The 6DJ8 may be a new (and costly) learning curve...I think I might want to try something that gives me the same IMAGE as the stock tube but rounds the edge (just a bit) off the brightness.

It will be fun...

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #3,639 of 8,309
I would recommend JAN Sylvania 6922 again but as I`ve seen reply about this tube, can`t recommend it anymore (well, if you can find exactly same labeled as I have then go for it!). But maybe it`s just a mismatch only with HD650 or slovetro`s ears aren`t so trained as mine, who knows. Anyway this JAN is my 2nd best tube for overall electronic music after Miniwatt-Dario ECC189. Actually if that electronic music includes vocals & some acoustic instruments then I find JAN even better sometimes, probably because littlebit more emphasis on mids section. But nothing out of my tubes can beat bass kick & tightness like Miniwatt-Dario ECC189 has.
Another option would be Tungsram PCC88 (the one with little cuts on plate under getter is slightly better than with flat plate). It might be just the right tube for you, it tames highs only very little + bass is littlebit more tight, soundstage feels basically same as 6922EH to me - large & airy. Those are cheap and easy to find options. 

Btw, there`s 2x2 Miniwatt-Dario (Mazda) ECC189/6ES8 available (Made in Chartres France not Heerlen as stated): http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC189-6ES8-MINIWATT-DARIO-OR-MAZDA-MATCHED-PAIR-/141141419907?pt=FR_JG_Collections_Radios&hash=item20dcaf2783

Also, one Amperex ECC189/6ES8: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6ES8-ECC189-NOS-NIB-Amperex-VACUUM-TUBE-GUARANTEED-/131074212512?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e84a1c2a0

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #3,640 of 8,309
I'm running my HD650 with Aune T1 + Amperex 6922 PQ (orange label)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-PQ-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1969-MATCH-PAIR-GOLD-PIN-SWEET-TONE-060-/321272180652?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4acd506fac

The Aune T1 is sufficiently powerful enough to handle the HD650 on highest gain. Although it barely reaches my "max" loudness. I mainly use this combo for most of my music (over Amperex Bugle Boy or Orange Globes). I also have a Genalex Gold Lion tube which is a bit too warm for the HD650... but pairs nicely with my HE-400 for it's bass extension.

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #3,641 of 8,309
  slovetro, just to be sure, have you set up your Aune T1 properly? using USB input? how is your gain switch set? WASAPI, ASIO or KSP?  What OS? Using at least 320kbps mp3`s to compare? 

I've made sure that most everything is set up well.  I am using USB input of course.  Gain switches are at lowest levels, I'm not sure about WASAPI, ASIO, or KSP though?  Windows 7, and mostly FLAC and some 320s through Foobar.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #3,642 of 8,309
  I'm running my HD650 with Aune T1 + Amperex 6922 PQ (orange label)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-PQ-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1969-MATCH-PAIR-GOLD-PIN-SWEET-TONE-060-/321272180652?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4acd506fac

The Aune T1 is sufficiently powerful enough to handle the HD650 on highest gain. Although it barely reaches my "max" loudness. I mainly use this combo for most of my music (over Amperex Bugle Boy or Orange Globes). I also have a Genalex Gold Lion tube which is a bit too warm for the HD650... but pairs nicely with my HE-400 for it's bass extension.

I think Amperex is considered warm and quiet tube,the Russian Rocket or Reflector is a different beast 
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #3,644 of 8,309
I think most you can find on ebay are driver grade (some if at all were tested ) and you would have to wait weeks since most will come from Europe  ,found two places that sells the "rocket"http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/6H23-%7B47%7D-6922-Rocket-Logo.html and "reflector " 
http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=243&osCsid=e4m0cjj2bnkg77k74htqu0s6g7
I have the Voskhod-"rocket" but I didn't like it to much ..since  DT880 is already on the bright side ,all the soft tubes like Amperex,Genalex pairs pretty nice with this headphones but the Valvo took the cake -clean ,good detail and very dimensional/3D (this tube is also great for gaming )
P.S. may have to wait for a good Voskhod

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #3,645 of 8,309
Hmm...so I wonder what tube is going to be RIGHT for me. The stock tube sounds nice, I like the forward mids and the holographic nature of the vocalist. I want a tube that exhibits that but just a tad less bright. Detailed but I think over time it could be fatiguing.

I have read about some of the other tubes but I don't want to lose those mids, nor the detail...technically, these tubes were not audiophile tubes ..they were TV and equipment tubes. I am really curious how they DID become audiophile tubes (what made them popular) ...and while history is good, doesn't help me select...I'll have to read more of the tube reviews..

I do want to put a thank you out to all the folks who have helped and the overall point to the T1. I am VERY please...had Christmas company tonight and they were impressed with the rig playing Christmas music through the Aune...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back