Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 30, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #7,231 of 8,309
Okay, so 2 things, one, I'm wanting the black T1 MK2, and I currently have a pristine silver MK1, and would be willing to trade + a bit of money + some tubes, hit me up if you're interested. Second, I am wanting to upgrade the capacitors and I keep seeing the ELNA Silmic II and the ELNA Cerafine, and supposedly the Silmic II is more tube-y or something and the Cerafine is faster with a bigger soundstage and sharper treble, I'm just curious on which one I should like if I am looking for some more bass OOMPH and tightness in my HE-400i and possibly wider soundstage. I just want to know how both of them affect the bass and then the soundstage as well. Also, the power caps everyone mentions, the Panasonic FR, are there any *better* alternatives or should I just get those?
Thanks a million!
gopanthersgo1

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #7,232 of 8,309
The Panasonic caps will help the bass immensely. I have only heard the Silmic II's, but I have heard from others who prefer them to the Cerafines.

If I can make a suggestion, the T1 colours the sound nicely, in a warm/ tubey way. If you want accuracy, go for the Wyrd + Modi 2 uber combo. I have been converted myself to a more accurate sounding system. But the T1 with upgraded capacitors is very nice.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #7,233 of 8,309
The Panasonic caps will help the bass immensely. I have only heard the Silmic II's, but I have heard from others who prefer them to the Cerafines.

If I can make a suggestion, the T1 colours the sound nicely, in a warm/ tubey way. If you want accuracy, go for the Wyrd + Modi 2 uber combo. I have been converted myself to a more accurate sounding system. But the T1 with upgraded capacitors is very nice.
How do you like that setup? I like the idea of the tube rolling is the only thing, how do you compare the modi 2 to the Aune T1 after the mods in regards to the bass and the soundstage/imaging?

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #7,234 of 8,309
Good news - for those interested, I just discovered that the T1 works perfectly with the PS4. I didn't expect it to work as I've tried hooking up my Sabre DAC a while back and it hissed like crazy and cut out every few seconds. The T1 works perfectly though.

I don't know why I haven't tried this any earlier, I have been stuck with my TV's headphone out for too long. The difference is immense, I can actually hear birds chirping in the background from the mic of the 12 year old who has been cussing at me for the past hour and a half 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #7,235 of 8,309
How do you like that setup? I like the idea of the tube rolling is the only thing, how do you compare the modi 2 to the Aune T1 after the mods in regards to the bass and the soundstage/imaging?

Hmm that is a tough call. With regards to detail retrieval and overall resolution, the Modi 2 is a step above the T1. With regards to bass and soundstage, some tubes with the T1 can sound like they have more bass/different soundstage. To me, the E188CC Phillips Miniwatt tubes, and Siemens CCa tubes sound incredible.

Honestly, the T1 is a nice solution if you want to experience different tubes. I would say that the Modi 2 is a huge step above the original Modi, and worthy for detail retrieval.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #7,236 of 8,309
I just received my T1 and it's a great sounding amp/dac but when I try to connect it to my nexus 7 or LG G3 with an otg cable it does not work. Sound stops playing through speakers on both but no sound through headphones. Anyone got any ideas on what the problem could be?

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #7,237 of 8,309
I just received my T1 and it's a great sounding amp/dac but when I try to connect it to my nexus 7 or LG G3 with an otg cable it does not work. Sound stops playing through speakers on both but no sound through headphones. Anyone got any ideas on what the problem could be?

You may experience the same thing as with iPhone then you need a usb hub. Here is a link for a few pages back about it
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-ss-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq-updated-on-02-14-15/7155#post_11662169

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #7,238 of 8,309
You may experience the same thing as with iPhone then you need a usb hub. Here is a link for a few pages back about it
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-ss-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq-updated-on-02-14-15/7155#post_11662169

There are 2 things you can try. First, make sure your otg cable is good. I've bought 2 that didn't work. Second, if you're sure the otg cable is good, there is an app called USB audio pro. It bypasses all internal processing and sends a bit perfect stream to the t1. I use it with my nexus 10 and HTC one m8 with great results.

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #7,239 of 8,309
Ok thanks, I will buy a powered USB hub and see if that works. Also is it possible with the powered USB hub connected to the nexus 7 that you can connect an external HDD and the Aune T1 and play FLAC music from the HDD?

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #7,240 of 8,309
Hmm that is a tough call. With regards to detail retrieval and overall resolution, the Modi 2 is a step above the T1. With regards to bass and soundstage, some tubes with the T1 can sound like they have more bass/different soundstage. To me, the E188CC Phillips Miniwatt tubes, and Siemens CCa tubes sound incredible.

Honestly, the T1 is a nice solution if you want to experience different tubes. I would say that the Modi 2 is a huge step above the original Modi, and worthy for detail retrieval.

Which one do you prefer in terms of overall musicality ?

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #7,241 of 8,309
Jul 2, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #7,243 of 8,309

As a standalone DAC, then I'd say the Aune T1 is more musical. After all, it's a tube DAC.

However if you have a high quality tube amp, then I think you'd go better with the Modi.

I have the ODAC, which is incredibly similar to the Modi. In comparison to the Aune T1, the ODAC & LD I+ is a better choice in terms of details and sound stage. However as I use the Aune T1 to feed my dad's speaker system, I still think it's a very solid choice in the price range.

And obviously, like Mikoss said, the Modi must be amped. If you want to have a low/midrange Schitt tube sound solution, I'd suggest you buy the Vali to go with the Modi. However for Grados, Audio Technicas and others, I think the Aune T1 is a steal in the price range (I bought them used for less than $70).

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #7,244 of 8,309

As a standalone DAC, then I'd say the Aune T1 is more musical. After all, it's a tube DAC.

However if you have a high quality tube amp, then I think you'd go better with the Modi.

I have the ODAC, which is incredibly similar to the Modi. In comparison to the Aune T1, the ODAC & LD I+ is a better choice in terms of details and sound stage. However as I use the Aune T1 to feed my dad's speaker system, I still think it's a very solid choice in the price range.

And obviously, like Mikoss said, the Modi must be amped. If you want to have a low/midrange Schitt tube sound solution, I'd suggest you buy the Vali to go with the Modi. However for Grados, Audio Technicas and others, I think the Aune T1 is a steal in the price range (I bought them used for less than $70).

+1 to @mikoss and @lehoang15tuoi 's feedback. I have the ODAC & Wyrd feeding my main Burson HA160 setup, which feeds my detail addiction. The T1 is narrower, less detailed, less impactful and less extended, comparatively speaking. But the T1 is also less harsh, more musical and arguably more analogue sounding (depending on your judging criteria).

My other setup can be a touch on the dry/analytical side at times, but I'd say I prefer it overall. If you're looking for pure musicality though, the T1 is probably the way to go. I second mikoss's recommendation of the Phillips Miniwatt 188CC tubes. They're a little pricey, but the synergy with the T1's onboard CMOY is crazy good. At moderate listening volumes, it's very hard to tell the difference between that combo and my other, much more expensive setup.

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #7,245 of 8,309

FWIW,
I used the Aune1 as a way to get into the tube rolling experiences.  I spend a year or so trying different tube and headphone combos.  I did a bunch of research on tubes (thank you head-fi members!), and tried many.  Here are my top 4 favorites (YMMV):
Telefunken NOS E88CC1
Siemens Cca NOS 1968
Amperex ECC88 A-Frame, NOS, Holland, 1970,
Mullard CV2492-gold pins; UK, NOS,1970;

Each has a different sound.  The T1 was an inexpensive way to learn a whole lot about tube rolling, and sound characteristics.  I got to the point where tube values were worth more than the T1.  It was a great ride for me, and within my budget.

As you can see, I stuck with NOS tubes.  I agree with another head-fi'er that the Siemans Cca is an outstanding tube. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back