Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 3, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #7,021 of 8,309
Thanks for the information, very helpful to me I appreciate it.

I was looking at tubes on Ebay but bad experiences in the past made me wary of it.  I took a punt on the untested Mullard, fantastic if it works, if not at least I've not lost a lot.

Again thanks very much for the info, I'm new to the valve amp experience and it's easy to get overloaded on info, but I'm looking forward to experimenting.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #7,022 of 8,309
Thanks for the information, very helpful to me I appreciate it.

I was looking at tubes on Ebay but bad experiences in the past made me wary of it.  I took a punt on the untested Mullard, fantastic if it works, if not at least I've not lost a lot.

Again thanks very much for the info, I'm new to the valve amp experience and it's easy to get overloaded on info, but I'm looking forward to experimenting.

No worries at all.
If you want any info, feel free to ask... There are lots of cool people in this thread. I was also going to start a Holland tubes thread specifically for Amperex/Philips tubes as they're my favorites (hence the dancing guy in clogs).
Keep us posted on the Mullard, which is actually made by Philips :)

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #7,023 of 8,309
What's the correct gain to use with K7xx? I've been going with +16 and just keeping the volume about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way... I'm just afraid that's too high. What tube do you guys recommend with these AKGs? EDM sounds amazing with the stock tube but I listen to all types of music and want to get the most out of this DAC with these cans. Any suggestions?

Also... is modding the caps an upgrade worth doing? I heard it's made some people feel like it sounded worse but I wouldn't mind the boost some people claimed in gave them.

Thanks for all the contributions everyone has made to this thread. Great information all around =)

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #7,024 of 8,309
What's the correct gain to use with K7xx? I've been going with +16 and just keeping the volume about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way... I'm just afraid that's too high. What tube do you guys recommend with these AKGs? EDM sounds amazing with the stock tube but I listen to all types of music and want to get the most out of this DAC with these cans. Any suggestions?

Also... is modding the caps an upgrade worth doing? I heard it's made some people feel like it sounded worse but I wouldn't mind the boost some people claimed in gave them.

Thanks for all the contributions everyone has made to this thread. Great information all around =)

Use whatever you feel sounds best. I'd use +16 personally. AKGs are pretty low sensitivity ... Not much reason to use the low gain mode unless you're using IEMs.

I personally feel the Dario Miniwatt 188CC (early 60's models from Harleen, Holland) is the absolute best tube match I've heard with the Aune T1. I've tested it with the K7XX, and it is great. The bass is absolutely killer... Best tube bass I've ever heard.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #7,025 of 8,309
Use whatever you feel sounds best. I'd use +16 personally. AKGs are pretty low sensitivity ... Not much reason to use the low gain mode unless you're using IEMs.

I personally feel the Dario Miniwatt 188CC (early 60's models from Harleen, Holland) is the absolute best tube match I've heard with the Aune T1. I've tested it with the K7XX, and it is great. The bass is absolutely killer... Best tube bass I've ever heard.

Thanks for the response. I agree the 16 gain setting has been the best sounding. I hear the AKG's require a bit of power to perform well and since I'm only using the T1's amp at the time I'll keep it at 16.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #7,027 of 8,309

Haven't heard anyone say it sounded worse, but I guess it depends on which capacitors they used, and possibly their overall system.

You can easily put the original capacitors back in if you wish... or perhaps not so easily, depending on your soldering experience. I would say the capacitor combination that myself and many others have used results in better bass, treble and overall clarity.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #7,028 of 8,309
  Haven't heard anyone say it sounded worse, but I guess it depends on which capacitors they used, and possibly their overall system.

You can easily put the original capacitors back in if you wish... or perhaps not so easily, depending on your soldering experience. I would say the capacitor combination that myself and many others have used results in better bass, treble and overall clarity.

Looks like I'll be visiting DigiKey :xf_eek:

Did you guys get all Panasonics or some combination?

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #7,031 of 8,309
Bob used Lyr, so experience with Aune T1 may be different.
Just for example - Bob likes Russian tubes with Lyr and I have several (including  75' SWGP - best tube in his rating) and it sounds as "nothing special" in the Aune T1.

Agreed, I didn't like the signature of the Russian tubes that I tried, but I have not heard the Reflektors which he loves. With the Aune, I still find the Amperex 7308 is about the best for my taste. With the Lyr he finds the 7308 some way down his list.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #7,032 of 8,309
It all comes down the sonic preference at that point. The 7308 is fairly linear/balanced from bass to mids to the highs, but it has a warmth in the midrange where as I recall, Bob prefers a neutral/transparent presentation. The Amperex tubes made in Holland have warmth and euphonics... The US made ones come a bit closer to a neutral presentation in my opinion as the mids aren't as warm. I would say the upper mids are a bit emphasized on the US made tubes, but not nearly as warm as the Hollands.

He also has Mundorf caps in his Lyr, which sound much different than the Nichicon/ELNA mix in most T1's. I would say that Mundorfs are generally preferred by people who like a faster response, less warmth and better transients. If you have tried a Siemens or Telefunken tube with your T1, and prefer it to an Amperex or Phillips, you may be in the same camp.

I can't remember which Mundorf caps he has in the Lyr, if you browse the Lyr tube rolling thread, the info is there. (Sorry, I'm on my cell). Here is a link comparing caps... Check out the comments on the Mundorf ones for info:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

The one nice thing about the Russian tubes is they are generally cheaper to purchase than some of the other tubes. I have only heard two and they are not my preference. Bob is the Russian tube guru. My holy grail (for now) is the Amperex/Philips Holland pinched waist.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #7,033 of 8,309
Well the Mullard from EBay arrived this morning, the seller accepted my offer of £10 for it. It works perfectly and really makes the Aune sing, so I'm over the moon with my bargain. The bad news is I think it's got me even more interested in tube rolling... I think this is going to be expensive!

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #7,035 of 8,309
A very affordable tube that I like using for gaming and it is an excellent tube overall for the price, the GE Smokie.  It doesn't stand up to a high end Siemens or Amperex in an A/B, but you can get a perfectly balanced NOS for $10 (I have two).

Great deal on that Mullard though, that is actually one brand I never bought due to reviews vs. Siemens/Amperex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back