Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 27, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #6,993 of 8,309
Hi guys, I just recently purchased a pair of HD700s. Looking at the OP I noticed the OP stated he liked this amp/dac combo with his hd800 and even his 650 and 600s. Would you guys recommend the Aune T1 Mk II with my newly HD700? My other thought was to get an o2 amp and run it with my Titanium HD(as a DAC). Any suggestion/opinion?

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #6,994 of 8,309
  Hi guys, I just recently purchased a pair of HD700s. Looking at the OP I noticed the OP stated he liked this amp/dac combo with his hd800 and even his 650 and 600s. Would you guys recommend the Aune T1 Mk II with my newly HD700? My other thought was to get an o2 amp and run it with my Titanium HD(as a DAC). Any suggestion/opinion?

It's a question of preference. There's really no way for us to tell if you'd like the HD700 + Aune T1 combo or not. 

Audio is kinda like food. 'Do you think I'd like/enjoy McDonalds or not?' Hard to answer. 

Best thing to do is to find a store that carries demo products and try them on before buying. Next best thing is the trial-and-error, buy it, try it, don't like it, sell it :)

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #6,995 of 8,309

Howdy, OP here. I do not like the HD700 at all but the T1 should drive it fine and sound nice with it (assuming you like the way the HD700 sounds).

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #6,997 of 8,309
A few months back I purchased one of these beautiful units from the US (I live in  Australia), only to blow the bloody power brick as soon as I received it (my own fault, I  was too excited to think what would happen when I plug the 110v brick into our 220v socket). Does anyone have any idea of how I'd be able to find a 220v brick?

Any help appreciated.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #6,998 of 8,309
  Forgive me for being stupid, but how does one even use the amp section of the Aune? Isn't the front audio port for headphones supposed to be both the dac AND amp, or is it just the amp?

If your source into the Aune T1 is through the USB port, it will be using the DAC (tube) and amp. (You can plug in your headphones, and also something else into the RCA ouput on the T1, if you like).
If your source is an RCA input to the Aune T1, it will simply be using the amp, which bypasses the DAC and tube. (You have to switch the input selector on the T1 to Line for this to happen).

A few months back I purchased one of these beautiful units from the US (I live in  Australia), only to blow the bloody power brick as soon as I received it (my own fault, I  was too excited to think what would happen when I plug the 110v brick into our 220v socket). Does anyone have any idea of how I'd be able to find a 220v brick?

Any help appreciated.

Oh boy, your best bet is to buy from Aune directly. The transformer has a bit of a screwy secondary output winding that puts out 15V 0V 15V. It's a center tapped 30V winding... not particularly hard to build, just kind of a special arrangement. You may be lucky though and maybe just blew the fuse on it... open it up and check the fuse. If it's toast, put a new one in and the rating of the transformer is 30W, so you'd be good with a 500mA fuse (0.5A) if you're going to keep using the power adapter with a 220V-120V isolation transformer. 

Or just email Candy at Aune and see if she can hook you up with the 220V version...

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #6,999 of 8,309
I'm thinking of buying one of these on massdrop to pair with my Philips Fidelio X2's... 

Anyone know if they're a good match?

An InnerFidelity review for the X2's mentioned that they might not go well with an "high output impedance tube amp"; does that mean that the X2's and the Aune's won't go well together?

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #7,000 of 8,309
The X1 here isn't really a high output device. He's meaning like a bottlecrack/lyr2/WooAudio2 I think things along that line. Not an Aune T1 sure it has an amp but I would in no way call it a high output. He said it I assume because the X2 is a very low Impedance headphone.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #7,001 of 8,309
High output tube amps are those output transformer less amps. The Aune T1 is a hybrid amp, it uses a tube buffer that feeds to a solid state amp. It's by no means a high output tube amp, it should be safe.

As for the pairing synergy, I have no idea. Cheers!

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #7,004 of 8,309

Any help appreciated.

I have had the exact same problem. 
Quoted from my T1 review:
[size=14.9499998092651px]About a year ago when i first got my T1, i had a problem with the transformer (power brick). As soon as i plugged it in, it blew up and made a bad smell. From then on i couldn't use my T1 for a month. During this month i kept emailing Aune for them to send me a replacement transformer. They never replied. I emailed them about 5 to 6 times, but i never got any message back. I even made another email because i thought that my messages weren't being sent. Until one day, i had it. Its been nearly 6 weeks and the T1's is just sitting there collecting dust, no use for it whatsoever. I emailed them, but this time i was really angry about it. I told them that i would never recommend an Aune product to anyone ever. And that they have been a big disappointment. 3 hours later, i got a reply. But even then, they said that i would have to pay $10 for the transformer, and that they cant give it to me for free. I purchased two for ($20).[/size]
Just e-mail Aune and hopefully they reply and send you a new one. This is their e-mail > sales@auneaudio.com

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #7,005 of 8,309
The X1 here isn't really a high output device. He's meaning like a bottlecrack/lyr2/WooAudio2 I think things along that line. Not an Aune T1 sure it has an amp but I would in no way call it a high output. He said it I assume because the X2 is a very low Impedance headphone.

FYI - Lyr 2 isn't in that category with the other two amps you mentioned. Output impedance is less than 1 ohm on both gain modes. You might have been thinking of Valhalla, which is their OTL. But Vahalla 2 can even drive low impedance headphones now, with an output impedance of 14 ohm. Not to be overly corrective... Just adding to the knowledge base. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back