Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 29, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #7,006 of 8,309
Well, according to the T1's spec here: http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=449 (aune's official site is down for days), the T1 got output impedance of 10 ohms. I don't know if it's true or not, but if it's true, then yeah, might not be ideal for low impedance headphones....

It is 10 ohm. It's not the ideal 8:1 ratio, but I've never had many complaints about using the Aune with 32 ohm headphones.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #7,007 of 8,309
I know this isn't related to the Aune T1 (although I will use it with them), but I just got a GREAT deal on a set of like new Shure SE425s!! (~$200)

I can't wait to hear these babies
atsmile.gif

I hope they pair well with my Cowon iAudio 9+

It is 10 ohm. It's not the ideal 8:1 ratio, but I've never had many complaints about using the Aune with 32 ohm headphones.

I use them with 32Ω headphones every time I use the T1 (SoundMAGIC HP150).  Isn't the sensitivity just as or more important than the ohm rating?  My HP150s are 95dB/mW @ 1KHz (±3dB).

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #7,008 of 8,309
  I use them with 32Ω headphones every time I use the T1 (SoundMAGIC HP150).  Isn't the sensitivity just as or more important than the ohm rating?  My HP150s are 95dB/mW @ 1KHz (±3dB).

It also doesn't do anything (bad) to the sound, that I know of, to my 35 ohms HE400. Experimented on this tho, I deliberately added another load to add the output impedance. Added 22 ohms resistors to each channels, making a total of 32 ohms output impedance, feeding to a 35 ohms can. Purpose? Just bored, I guess :D It did do something to the sound. Hard to describe the difference, but it's there. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #7,009 of 8,309

They're different. The relationship between the output impedance of the amp and the headphone impedance is the damping factor. If the damping factor is too low, it can create unwanted resonances in the headphone's voice coil. This usually manifests as a loss of low frequency control and earlier bass roll-off. 

Here's an easy way to visualize it:
Imagine a bass note as a truck rolling down a hill. At the bottom of the hill there is a line where the truck is supposed to stop. Now imagine the damping factor as the brakes. If the brakes are strong enough, the truck can stop at the line where it is supposed to. If the brakes aren't strong enough, it will coast over the line before it comes to a full stop.

A damping ratio of 8:1 or greater essentially means "the brakes are strong enough to stop at the line." In reality, how noticeable or pleasurable this accuracy is, is probably somewhat subjective.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #7,010 of 8,309

Imagine a bass note as a truck rolling down a hill. At the bottom of the hill there is a line where the truck is supposed to stop. Now imagine the damping factor as the brakes. If the brakes are strong enough, the truck can stop at the line where it is supposed to. If the brakes aren't strong enough, it will coast over the line before it comes to a full stop.

A damping ratio of 8:1 or greater essentially means "the brakes are strong enough to stop at the line." In reality, how noticeable or pleasurable this accuracy is, is probably somewhat subjective.

Oh man, this is good. Permission to copy the analogy to other topics/forums :)

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #7,011 of 8,309

Oh man, this is good. Permission to copy the analogy to other topics/forums :)

Go for it. Electricity isn't the easiest thing to understand. I find these sort of "high school science class" analogies definitely help.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #7,012 of 8,309
Huge 6922 tube review thread just launched, for anyone who is interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #7,013 of 8,309
Apr 2, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #7,014 of 8,309
Yea true but I'd consider a Lyr 1 or 2 far above the Aune T1 even without even hearing either. Aune T1 is entry level at best I'd think. Also one thing I quickly went through that and didn't seen one mention of an Orange Globe, how in the heck do you review 6922 and not mention Orange G's. But maybe I went through it to fast I was multitasking.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #7,015 of 8,309
I have both. Lyr punches in a higher weight class, but many of the tube qualities translate from one to the other, in my experience. Just posting the resource.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #7,016 of 8,309
Yep I'm finding myself that Aune T1 is ok. Just ok nice step up from normal usage. Has tube so it can impact sound by what tube you put in it. But it's not an amp. I'll just say that right now. It doesn't sound or act like a power amp I always read about, but it can't for sure add texture to the sound depending on tube. Now take this like I have to the next level and add a bottlehead crack for that amp for that for real power and BAM. That's it folks. It's THE reason you keep seeing people saying crack this or crack that , next level for Senn's. Either way you slice it I'm here to tell you it does matter and it is for real. I am not rich , I in fact would go as far as to say I'm the poorest person here in the entire forum. I've taken YEARS to take a step one way or another. But I will say you're on the right path here on the forum. So so much information here on what is what and how things sound.

It's up to you how far you want to take things. But I'm here to tell ya , it doesn't cost that much and you're not far away from perfection from what you're seeking. It's out there , believe.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #7,017 of 8,309
Hi, I'm a long time reader of head-fi, but this is my first post.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of a tube supplier in the UK or Europe?
I recently ordered the T1 and would rather like an amperex 7308, however everywhere i look seems to be located in the states.

Shipping costs from the states to the UK is significant at $56 average by fedex.
Obviously the longer the journey the greater change for it to get broken too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #7,018 of 8,309

I recently ordered the T1 and would rather like an amperex 7308, however everywhere i look seems to be located in the states.

Shipping costs from the states to the UK is significant at $56 average by fedex.
Obviously the longer the journey the greater change for it to get broken too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sure... eBay is your best bet. Here are some from ebay.co.uk:

GREAT DEAL IF THEY WORK: Mullard branded, Amperex Holland made E88CC (Long life tube, just not as strict specs as 7308):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/e88cc-Mullard-Valve-Gold-Pins-Made-In-Holland-Rare-Tube-Cv2492-/281631925745?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41929225f1

These will work for sure... Mullard branded, Amperex Holland made E88CC: 60GBP + shipping
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E88CC-MULLARD-HOLLAND-6DJ8-GOLD-PIN-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-B-/370617910615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item564a8c8557
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E88CC-MULLARD-HOLLAND-6DJ8-GOLD-PIN-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-1PC-/370617910584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item564a8c8538

Mazda branded Amperex 7308 (Made in Holland, will have nice midrange): 60 GBP including shipping (from Belgium)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E188CC-CV4108-7308-6922WA-PHILIPS-RADIO-TUBE-VALVOLA-VALVE-AMP-ROHRE-/281486532338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4189e79ef2

Siemens E188CC (Will have a more neutral sound, compared to the Amperex tube): 50 GBP + Shipping
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Siemens-E188CC-7308-Twin-Triode-Tube-for-Audio-High-End-E88CC-CCa-NOS-/171741765735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27fc9b6067

As for other suppliers in the UK, here are some from Google:
https://www.tube-and-valve-electronics.co.uk/wholesale/results.asp?ProdCode=e88cc&searchbutton=Go+%3E
http://www.vacuum-tube-shop.com/index.php?url=products

Also, I would never pay for Fedex... what a rip off. Use the regular post, just make sure that it is tracked and insured, if you want. I've bought over 60 tubes from eBay and never had a broken one yet. Did have one tube from a pair of 5998's that was noisy and returned to the seller. I honestly think eBay is your best bet. I live in North America and if someone ships from their local post, it usually works the best. Just gets converted to your local post when it crosses into your country, and you avoid paying excessive shipping fees.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #7,019 of 8,309
I would love to compare the T1 with Elna Silmic II caps to the Lyr to the Lyr2 to the BH Crack to the WA2. All with premium tubes in them, of course.

I'm away from home 50% of the time and use my T1 with HD-650's... I have no desire to get a different portable amp with it at all. Sure, the WA2 adds a lot to the sound once I get home to listen, but the T1 does me just fine. What seems to help me the most is having a super quiet listening environment... I even go so far as to unplug the tiny fridge in a hotel room I'm staying in if I can. To me, it makes a huge difference having as much quiet as possible.

I'm also more into the smooth, airy, warm, romantic sound than a punchy, quick, transparent presentation, so perhaps this factors in. As an example, I have Tung Sol 5998 tubes for the WA2 that I don't normally use; I prefer GEC 6080, or Tung Sol 7236, which don't seem to emphasize the power/bass like the 5998's. The 7236 tubes have a beautiful soundstage, and the 6080 tubes have magical liquid mids.

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #7,020 of 8,309

http://www.langrex.co.uk/
I bought several tubes from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back