Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 18, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #6,781 of 8,309
lol, yea the post changed a lot when I realized what it was.

Oh, since I am not going to buy this other tube now, you guys should take a look if you are looking for a good value.

This is January 1964 6922 Siemens RCA Labeled tube made in Munchen, Germany.  (I did my homework on it)

It's currently sitting at $10.50 ($5 SH) with 8 hours and 42 minutes left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111597102938

Shhhh

:wink:

I've been watching that plus 60 or so other listings... A couple ending today with low bids that I'm sure will go up.

As for the 7308, it would be cool if you could ask her for the batch code and date code. Low VR is generally considered to be the nicest, but I honestly don't think it matters much unless it's very low with a pinched waist or d getter.

Looking fwd to your impressions... If you want that OG just PM me as well.

Oh also that sticker is considered to be a good thing. As far as I've read, Tektronix tested tubes had good specs. Not entirely sure how the testing went, but I think it should be well balanced and low microphony.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #6,782 of 8,309
Well it almost tripled its price in the last 3 minutes, I didn't figure enough people would know what the tube really was.

Did you win it?

There is also this Miniwatt that ends in 3 days  
wink.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281600359027

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #6,783 of 8,309
Just a head up to people: if one of my other tubes ends up sounding better with my new amp and my headphones then I'll prob sell the miniwatt. I have my fingers crossed for this because I don't want to need to rely on a pricey, hard to find tube if I don't have to. PM me if you want first crack should this be the case.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #6,784 of 8,309
Well it almost tripled its price in the last 3 minutes, I didn't figure enough people would know what the tube really was.

Did you win it?

There is also this Miniwatt that ends in 3 days   :wink:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281600359027

Actually, I went to charge my phone and forgot about it... Oops.

That Miniwatt is still around because it's an F factory code... French made, so not as popular as Holland ones. Not sure how it sounds; I've yet to audition any tubes made in Suresnes.

Anyone else heard them? Any impressions vs delta made tubes?

Also if anyone is wondering how to distinguish between factories for Amperex/Philips tubes, if the tubes are missing etched codes, just look at the getter flash at the top...
- lots of flashing = German made (think Siemens)
- smallest amount of flashing (where you can see the getter itself below the flashing) = French made (take a look at this tube for an example)
- just a bit more flash than the French tubes = Holland made.

As for US vs Holland, both have just about the same amount of flashing (the star code is US). Also, British (Mullards) I've noticed the top creases are sometimes less prominent than the other tubes.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #6,786 of 8,309
  I feel like I'm studying about Pokemon here. 
confused_face_2.gif
 So many things to learn.

I'll just backtrack a few dozen pages and see what cheap tube is better than the stock 6922EH.

Hahaha. The only thing I've really learned from this experience is that this stuff is really subjective. I honestly don't even know where I put the stock tube. I can't even remember how it sounds.

---

So, my Schiit Asgard 2  arrived! I ‘ve done a bit a A/Bing with several tubes now. Here as my observations:

Things the Asgard 2 does better than the T1 internal amp:

First, overall the differences are subtle but the cumulative effect of the small differences makes the Asgard 2 a better listening experience and definitely worth keeping.

1)      1)The Asgard 2 has a lower noise floor—there is no background noise with the Asgard 2. There is a little bit with the T1 amp.

2)      2)The overall sound is smoother with the Asgard 2—this is a common description I read in reviews for the Asgard 2. I agree with it. But don’t be confused about what it means.  
I           It’s not a smearing, smudgy smoothness. It’s a refined, pleasant, full sound. I wouldn’t even necessarily call it warmth. It’s this weird pleasantness that’s kind of hard to describe. So I shall dub it smoothness.

3)      3)Bass is fuller and the whole sound spectrum sounds a bit more substantial on the Asgard 2. The T1 amp is a bit thin sounding in comparison.

That about sums it up. The Asgard 2 is really nice. The differences between it and the stock amp are not exactly night and day, though. I’ll be listening to the Asgard 2 on some other (more demanding) headphones in the future.  Perhaps then the differences will be more pronounced.

Edit: The thinness of the T1 amp is becoming more obvious as I become more used to the Asgard 2's sound.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #6,787 of 8,309
That about sums it up. The Asgard 2 is really nice. The differences between it and the stock amp are not exactly night and day, though. I’ll be listening to the Asgard 2 on some other (more demanding) headphones in the future.  Perhaps then the differences will be more pronounced.

I wish you had a magni to compare with your new Asgard 2. I still debating between the the two as a replacement for the T1's amp.

Great impressions though!

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #6,788 of 8,309
Joe, glad you like it. Your magnums are 32 ohm right? Wait till you hear the difference with higher ohm headphones. This combo really sings with sennheisers. I've read that they designed the amp using hd600s, could be why I love the amp so much...

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #6,794 of 8,309
See if you can borrow a pair first, you may not like them. For example, I hate grados, they hurt my ears. I find the highs piercing, and the bass to be lacking. Never heard magnums though...

I've actually listened to the HD600 many times. I've considered getting it as a complement to the Magnums for a while now. I used to own the HD650 but I don't care for its FR balance. I've always noticed a bit of a midbass hump with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back