Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 19, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #6,796 of 8,309
I bought mine new in the mid nineties and sent them in to sennheiser to be gone over last year. They only charged me 70 bucks to replace the cushions, clean the drivers, and I think they changed the conectors too. Good company...

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #6,797 of 8,309
If you don't mind used, see if you can track down some hd580's, you could probably save about a hundred bucks for essentially the same cans...

This is good advice, although I don't see the HD580 for sale that often and when it is, the savings are kind of modest (last pair I saw was like $180). 

---
Anyway, some extra thoughts on the Asgard 2 and tube pairings. I would say that the Asgard 2 imparts its own characteristics on the sound (like any amp does) and the result of this is that all of the tubes I have sound slightly better than they did before, for whatever reason. SirMarc was right when he said I'd enjoy the Gold Lion with the Asgard 2. I really like it a lot. It has a forward sound that at high volumes on the T1 amp was a tad too harsh. The Gold Lion sounds a bit sexier with the Asgard 2. I still like the Miniwatt a lot, though.  And the Voskhod has a very appealing aggressive sound to it, but I'm not sure I can like the congested soundstage. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #6,798 of 8,309
Joe, glad you like it. Your magnums are 32 ohm right? Wait till you hear the difference with higher ohm headphones. This combo really sings with sennheisers. I've read that they designed the amp using hd600s, could be why I love the amp so much...

HD600 is on my to buy list.

You may want to subscribe to the deals discussion thread. HD600s have been showing up on a lot of flash sales lately. I think they popped up at $249.99 on Adorama just a couple of days ago.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #6,801 of 8,309
... And the Voskhod has a very appealing aggressive sound to it, but I'm not sure I can like the the congested soundstage. 

Exactly how I feel about the rockets! Such a nice sound for rocking out, but it sounds so unfocused to me... I would enjoy hearing some of the "highly acclaimed" other rockets though... Meh too many tubes to enjoy.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #6,802 of 8,309
Hi all, 

First post here in this thread (one of my first on Head-Fi, long-time lurker). Had my Aune T1 for a while now, mostly using it with a pair of AKG K550s and occassionally my Master & Dynamic MH40s. I've only just got round to purchasing my first aftermarket tube (I got an Electro Harmonix (no likey) and a pair of 6N23P tubes, one stamped CCCP and the other not, the CCCP is nice and warm with some intimate lows and creamy highs IMO, and it's quite nice overall). 

This tube is a Tesla made in Czechoslovakia in the 90s and I got it from eBay UK for £12 odd including shipping (Item no: 
310143484807) It arrived nicely packed, quick as well. I have attached a quick image (well, I will when I have rights to, I should say). This has probably been covered before, but I am just getting my feet wet, so to speak. It's a fairly a neutral tube IMO, bass is tight, yet not tubby or warm and the highs are straight to the point without being piercing. It's almost "dry", but it's a decent, cheap tube for those looking for a "reference tube" if such a thing exists. It's a little too neutral when used with the K550s, but really levels our the overly warm MH40s and brings them down to earth again. So in that regard, it's great for the price! 

If anyone has any tips for picking up tips from eBay UK or places that ship to the UK happily, then I am all ears! Specifically looking for a Gold Lion to try out. 

Tom. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #6,804 of 8,309
I killed my power supply. Anyone have any ideas on replacement or upgrade?

Thanks.

The power supply is pretty unique, it is not an AC to DC PSU like most wall warts.  It takes ~110V AC and drops it to 15V AC.

I would contact Aune Audio

sales@auneaudio.com

I would also contact HiFi DIY, which is their US Supplier of parts.

hifidiynet@yahoo.com

Most likely HiFi DIY has spares available, I doubt this is the first time it has ever happened.  They aren't going to list it on their site, but I bet they have them.  They were out of stock on the T1's amp PCB when I tried to get a replacement, but they had them in the past.  Shipping from Aune is roughly $20 if you go through Aune Audio in China to the US. 

BTW it's good to see another person from NC on here, I used to live in Raleigh and I'll be returning for the Fall Semester at NCSU in Electrical Engineering.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #6,806 of 8,309
Hey all I put the Miniwatt up for sale to help fund my HD600 purchase. I like it a lot, but if I'm going to choose between a tube and some headphones, I'm going to spring for the headphones!

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #6,807 of 8,309
Cool. Have you noticed that you can listen pretty loud with less ear fatigue with the Asgard? Its weird, I can go for longer at loud volumes with the t1-asgard rig than with my dynaco-thorens rig

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #6,808 of 8,309
Cool. Have you noticed that you can listen pretty loud with less ear fatigue with the Asgard? Its weird, I can go for longer at loud volumes with the t1-asgard rig than with my dynaco-thorens rig

Actually that is one of the things that makes the Asgard 2 worth keeping. I still like the sound of the T1 amp for my current headphones but yeah the Asgard 2 is less fatiguing for sure.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #6,809 of 8,309
Hi, first post here in and I want to share some bad experiences I have with Aune T1, MK2 version.

First of all, I bought it on 8th Nov 2014, I have to say I pretty much satisfied with the product, use it mainly with my HD 558 and M50. I use it normally (e.g. I don't use it >5 hours straight, let alone left it on overnight, etc) because I know from some reviews and my own experience it has some heat issues.

Well two days ago (19th Feb 2015) my Aune T1 MK2 apparently short circuited when I'm using it, I can smell burnt odor and see thin white smoke coming out from the unit. Although the music still playing, I immediately disconnect the USB and power cable from the unit.

Today (21st Feb) I bought the unit to AMTechnologies (as authorized distributor in Indonesia) to claim warranty, either for 1 to 1 replacement or just replace the damaged part (still in 1-year warranty from them). Sadly, their representative said that they can't do anything with these kind of cases, claiming that he have to contact Aune before he can do anything, because they don't have the replacement spare parts. He also said that Aune could reject the warranty if the damaged part is too severe, pointing to some cases where the damaged parts are worse than mine and Aune eventually rejects it.

To make things worse, he also said that Aune is currently on Chinese New Year holiday and can only be reached on 2nd March.

I need to know that if this is also happened in another country, because well, it sucks.

Sorry for the bad English :p

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #6,810 of 8,309
[COLOR=222222]Hi, first post here in and I want to share some bad experiences I have with Aune T1, MK2 version.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]First of all, I bought it on 8th Nov 2014, I have to say I pretty much satisfied with the product, use it mainly with my HD 558 and M50. I use it normally (e.g. I don't use it >5 hours straight, let alone left it on overnight, etc) because I know from some reviews and my own experience it has some heat issues.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Well two days ago (19th Feb 2015) my Aune T1 MK2 apparently short circuited when I'm using it, I can smell burnt odor and see thin white smoke coming out from the unit. Although the music still playing, I immediately disconnect the USB and power cable from the unit.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Today (21st Feb) I bought the unit to AMTechnologies (as authorized distributor in Indonesia) to claim warranty, either for 1 to 1 replacement or just replace the damaged part (still in 1-year warranty from them). Sadly, their representative said that they can't do anything with these kind of cases, claiming that he have to contact Aune before he can do anything, because they don't have the replacement [COLOR=222222]spare parts[/COLOR]. He also said that Aune could reject the warranty if the damaged part is too severe, pointing to some cases where the damaged parts are worse than mine and Aune eventually rejects it.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]To make things worse, he also said that Aune is currently on Chinese New Year holiday and can only be reached on 2nd March.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]I need to know that if this is also happened in another country, because well, it sucks.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Sorry for the bad English :p[/COLOR]

That is a real bummer :/ It's a shame that you have to wait so long to hear from Aune. It sounds to me like you should definitely get a new unit from Aune. Let us know how it goes. People should become aware if Aune refuses to provide basic warranty service.

By the way, your English looks good to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back