Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 18, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #5,251 of 8,309
Is there a way to remove the led so its just the vacuum tube

Unfortunately if you block the LED the tube glow is pretty small (I gather because the tube is only being used as a buffer). CoiL did some posts about using red plastic, which gives a nice tube-like glow. Note that even the Woo WA7 uses (red) LEDs to enhance the look of its tubes.

May 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #5,253 of 8,309
  Guys, any idea of how this pairs with the he-500?

google this: "aune t1 he-500 head-fi" there are plenty of earlier entries in this thread. I realize this thread has gotten huge, but it seems Google knows all about it.

For general searching in head-fi, I find google works better than the head-fi search functions if I simply include head-fi in the search. YMMV. The  search options in head-fi work pretty well too. I just tried "search this thread" at the top of this page for the he-500. It works great.

May 19, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #5,254 of 8,309
Have you tried increasing the buffer in your player? Have you tried other players? Have you tried Wasapi event mode? Where is your source (external hard drive or internal?) Is it solid state or a spinner?

I set Foobar for Wasapi event mode with a 200ms buffer or so, and it never has any issues playing off my laptop or desktop drive. Externals will occasionally pause during playback for a few seconds because Windowsneeds to read the directory or something silly like that. This only happens when I have left it idle for a while and I assume it could be solved via power settings. Haven't looked into it yet.

I think most USB issues are not actually jitter, just related to buffering.

Just some ideas and places to investigate. Hope you can eliminate the issues
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the follow up, mikoss.  I did manage to eliminate the issues.  No need to upgrate to V2... at least to me. :)

So, I am running Wasspi with 3200 ms of buffer, event mode, no external drive, a single device in USB (Aune itself), HD is a spinner. 

More importantly, I think, I gave Properties >> Advances >> Playback >> WASAPI:
  - push mode: 500 ms
  - event mode: 100 ms
  - high worker process priority: on

(Note the increase of 5X in event.)

So, I think you are right.  Buffers appears to be the issue.  But I take there is the overall buffer and the specific one for the Wasapi type (Properties >> Advances >> Playback >> WASAPI)??

May 20, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5,256 of 8,309
I've had a couple of weeks with the T1 and 7308 tube and must say the combo with the BH2 (from the T1 audio outs, bypassing the amp section) to the MDR-7520 is really impressive. I love the synergy.

I do notice that the tube needs at least 30 minutes of play time before the sound is optimal. The coffee kicks in about the same time.
L3000.gif

May 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #5,260 of 8,309
I have decided to let go my Aune T1 with EH6922. I also have 5 other tubes namely Amperex 7308, 6DJ8, Tesla PCC88, Tungsram E88CC (the best sounding one for me), and supposedly Siemens ECC88 (no more markings). I'm based in Shanghai, China. So anyone interested, please PM me.

May 21, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #5,263 of 8,309
  Just wondering, how long do you guys keep the T1 on? Is it safe to leave it on all the time?

I'm wondering the same. By the end of the day, my set-up sounds so much nicer than when I turn it on in the morning. Would the main concern be the tube not lasting long, or something else? Can someone enlighten me on tube etiquette? 
smile.gif

May 22, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #5,264 of 8,309
Tubes has their own life times. Some have 20,000 hours, some 50k, some more, some less. So when you leave the tubes on, it would decrease the life time. But at the same time, tubes sound better when they're hot, and being hot reduces the life time.
It's really up to you. You can just get new tubes if your current ones burn out. I personally don't mind them burning out, wrap them in small cloths to keep the heat in, makes them sound really smooth and liquid ish

May 22, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #5,265 of 8,309
This guy says heat is fine for tubes - they die just as fast regardless of heat. So basically just having them on vs making them do something uses it up just as fast. He also says low heat is more of a problem (!?) and that you should definitely let a tube warm up before running current through it...

It's not specifically about the tubes the Aune T1 uses though, maybe it doesn't apply?

http://www.w8ji.com/vacuum_tubes_and_vaccum_tube_failures.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back