Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 27, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #5,281 of 8,309
There are a total of 8 capacitors you can replace (each of these uses two):

Primaries
Secondaries
Coupling

I forget the other two on the amp board, I think it's another set of coupling, but I'm not sure.

May 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #5,283 of 8,309
Everything is SILMIC II except the primaries are Nichicon Fine Golds.

I have a pair of Panasonic primaries that I'm going to roll.  I actually have 3 pairs of caps laying around not being used.

May 27, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #5,284 of 8,309
Nice. I'm impressed with the Silmic II's for sure. It's like the difference between seeing a spider web as a messy white blob, and seeing every individual strand of of the web, plus the moisture glinting off the web from the sun, and tiny particles of dust the web has captured... except it's music instead of a spider web 
biggrin.gif

yeah, also went with Panny's for the main PS caps... they're the FR series 3300uF 25V.
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/EEU-FR1E332/P14433-ND/2433567

May 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #5,286 of 8,309
does anybody here have shure headphones in their collection...? how does it do when pair with aune t1...?

im in the middle of reading between getting fiio e17 or aune t1 for my shure headphone...

May 27, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #5,287 of 8,309
does anybody here have shure headphones in their collection...? how does it do when pair with aune t1...?

im in the middle of reading between getting fiio e17 or aune t1 for my shure headphone...

Which Shure pair do you have? I have the 840s. I just got my T1 a few days ago and have been mostly using it with my He400s.

I will try it out a little bit and maybe see if I can post some impressions for you.

May 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #5,288 of 8,309
Which Shure pair do you have? I have the 840s. I just got my T1 a few days ago and have been mostly using it with my He400s.

I will try it out a little bit and maybe see if I can post some impressions for you.

940... i forgot to type that... :)

im in between this and fiio e17. no schiit modi magni where i live and importing it is not feasible either due to situations...

May 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #5,290 of 8,309
So last post about the capacitor upgrade for the Aune T1... (Sorry in advance for posting quite a bit, just want to provide info to anyone who is interested in upgrading their T1).

I loved the sound coming from my T1, and I tried about a dozen or so different tubes... I narrowed down my two favourite tubes to a Siemens E88CC gold pin halo getter date code A0 1≠ 4F, and an Amperex 7308 gold pin halo getter date code delta3E2. I like the Siemens for it's incredible representation of female vocals and highs, and I like the Amperex for it's rich mids and fantastic imaging.

I read a bunch of posts about head-fi'ers opening up their T1's, and finding a mix of different capacitors inside... Nichicon, ELNA, Panasonic, etc which worried some of them because they'd been posting impressions of different tubes, and felt that the mix of capacitors affected the T1's representation with the same tube from member to member. They then collaborated on upgrading their T1's using some different capacitors, trying to figure out the best combination. @CoiL in particular tried some different mixes, and here is a quote from him after his upgrade:

Holy crap how good this sounds now! Unbeliveable! Those caps made my Siemens E88CC sound like liquid gold! I can`t even describe how good mids section is - especially vocals, just breath taking! Not only vocals - everything! Piano sounds so lifelike that if I were sitting in concert room. The width, depth - horizontally & vertically - just amazing! For me, I think Aune T1 can`t get much better than that anymore. So dynamic and musical! And I haven`t burned those caps in yet but still pure eargasm! 

Seriously, I recommend you to try ELNA SilmicII`s instead stock caps! 

After reading his review, and looking at the price of new capacitors, I ended up going for the same upgrade on my T1. 

Headphone amp board coupling caps > ELNA SilmicII 47uF 50V
Headphone amp board rail voltage caps > ELNA SilmicII 470uF 25V
Secondary power supply caps > ELNA SilmicII 470uF 25V
Main power supply caps > Panasonic FR 3300uF 25V 

I bought all of the capacitors online from Digi-Key, since the capacitors are relatively cheap, and I was wary of buying from ebay due to fakes or old capacitors. (Digi-Key prints the date of manufacture on their invoice).

As for the sound, I definitely hear the same thing as CoiL. I thought that both tubes were as good as they could ever be, but the new capacitors have noticeably improved soundstaging (width and depth), bass (tighter impact), clarity across the lows, mids and highs, and overall warmth. Liquid gold is a good description... also silky, organic and capturing the emotion of the music. I love it.

For anyone interested in doing this upgrade, you'll need to be aware of a couple things... the capacitors that I used are larger than stock, and will most likely stick "out of the bottom" of the T1, unless they're routed creatively inside the unit. The bottom of my unit is now open, so I place it on its side... not a big deal for me. It probably improves the cooling inside, although it is open to dust now. Also, you'll need to be able to operate the soldering gun with patience, but overall it can be done by a beginner. Removing the old capacitors may require an extra set of hands.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions, and a big thanks to CoiL and the others who posted previously about upgrading their units. 

May 28, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #5,291 of 8,309

940... i forgot to type that... :)

im in between this and fiio e17. no schiit modi magni where i live and importing it is not feasible either due to situations...

Well I gave the 840s a listen on the T1 for the first time and have some initial impressions.  Hopefully they will help you out.

Bear in mind that this comparison was done by playing songs first through the laptop headphone jack and then the T1 at equivalent volume.  Also, these observations obviously apply to the stock EH6922 tube provided with the DAC.  Gain was set to 0 DB.

The Shure's are known for leaning a bit warm and with strong midrange.  I love my 840s, which are great for vocals (esp. female vocals), but the negatives on these headphones is that they can be a bit sibilant and the upper mids and highs can sometimes be a bit too aggressive and a tad fatiguing.  I found that the T1 with the stock EH tube accentuated these traits a bit.  I've read that the EH6922 is a brighter tube, so maybe that has a good deal to do with it.  Also the 840s don't particularly have strong bass, so that also accentuates these issues.

The vocals are brought very forward by the T1, but the clarity is much improved.  

Other positives are the soundstage improves greatly, more so in width than depth.  Instrument separation is improved, but not by a gigantic margin.  Another positive is the improved decay on the notes.  Detail and imaging also improved a bit.  

But then again much of this is to be expected going from a computer card to a DAC/AMP. 

Overall, it was a much more open presentation with the T1 and EH6922, but I didn't care for the fatiguing upper mids and highs.

Your mileage may vary, though.  And keep in mind that different tubes will likely cure these issues.  And the 940 is a bit different than the 840 as well.

May 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #5,292 of 8,309
So last post about the capacitor upgrade for the Aune T1... (Sorry in advance for posting quite a bit, just want to provide info to anyone who is interested in upgrading their T1).

I loved the sound coming from my T1, and I tried about a dozen or so different tubes... I narrowed down my two favourite tubes to a Siemens E88CC gold pin halo getter date code A0 1≠ 4F, and an Amperex 7308 gold pin halo getter date code delta3E2. I like the Siemens for it's incredible representation of female vocals and highs, and I like the Amperex for it's rich mids and fantastic imaging.

I read a bunch of posts about head-fi'ers opening up their T1's, and finding a mix of different capacitors inside... Nichicon, ELNA, Panasonic, etc which worried some of them because they'd been posting impressions of different tubes, and felt that the mix of capacitors affected the T1's representation with the same tube from member to member. They then collaborated on upgrading their T1's using some different capacitors, trying to figure out the best combination. @CoiL in particular tried some different mixes, and here is a quote from him after his upgrade:

Holy crap how good this sounds now! Unbeliveable! Those caps made my Siemens E88CC sound like liquid gold! I can`t even describe how good mids section is - especially vocals, just breath taking! Not only vocals - everything! Piano sounds so lifelike that if I were sitting in concert room. The width, depth - horizontally & vertically - just amazing! For me, I think Aune T1 can`t get much better than that anymore. So dynamic and musical! And I haven`t burned those caps in yet but still pure eargasm! 

Seriously, I recommend you to try ELNA SilmicII`s instead stock caps! 

After reading his review, and looking at the price of new capacitors, I ended up going for the same upgrade on my T1. 

Headphone amp board coupling caps > ELNA SilmicII 47uF 50V
Headphone amp board rail voltage caps > ELNA SilmicII 470uF 25V
Secondary power supply caps > ELNA SilmicII 470uF 25V
Main power supply caps > Panasonic FR 3300uF 25V 

I bought all of the capacitors online from Digi-Key, since the capacitors are relatively cheap, and I was wary of buying from ebay due to fakes or old capacitors. (Digi-Key prints the date of manufacture on their invoice).

As for the sound, I definitely hear the same thing as CoiL. I thought that both tubes were as good as they could ever be, but the new capacitors have noticeably improved soundstaging (width and depth), bass (tighter impact), clarity across the lows, mids and highs, and overall warmth. Liquid gold is a good description... also silky, organic and capturing the emotion of the music. I love it.

For anyone interested in doing this upgrade, you'll need to be aware of a couple things... the capacitors that I used are larger than stock, and will most likely stick "out of the bottom" of the T1, unless they're routed creatively inside the unit. The bottom of my unit is now open, so I place it on its side... not a big deal for me. It probably improves the cooling inside, although it is open to dust now. Also, you'll need to be able to operate the soldering gun with patience, but overall it can be done by a beginner. Removing the old capacitors may require an extra set of hands.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions, and a big thanks to CoiL and the others who posted previously about upgrading their units. 
Thanks for this. I'm curious about this because I'm bypassing the amp now and would like to not have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back