Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 17, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #5,103 of 8,309
What country plug does the Aune come with stock. I'm trying to locate a ??? to Australian adapter.

I have a universal adapter here, but it is a little loose, I want something higher quality. 

Edit: Found the answer: UK plug.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #5,104 of 8,309
Macbook pro right side usb port only plays in 16 bit mode, let's call it port A.
Change to left side usb port (port B), it works full 24. Use usb hub (ports C) and it also works with 24 bit support.

However the 16 bit mode in-between port A and ports B to C is quite different. I'm using a HD600 and I notice that port A the sound is more forward, the bass is punchier, in port B to C the sound is more neutral, cleaner.

Can anyone with a mac reproduce or confirm this effect? Thanks :wink:

EDIT:
Connecting to port A the kernel reports:
"17/04/14 10:25:36,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    5704.586    There is not enough USB isochronous bandwidth to allow the device "DigiHug USB Audio" at location 0x14500000 to function in its current configuration (requested 582 bytes for endpoint 0x3 )"

- Port B through 3.0 USB hub does not play 24 bit, no kernel output.
- Port B through 2.0 USB hub plays 24 bit.

My hypothesis is that OSX kernel is rather strict when it comes to managing USB devices, each port should be able to play full 24bit. They are all USB 3.0 so with a couple of connected devices bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

What may be happening is that the kernel is assigning isochronous support to at least one port when enumerating them at boot up. Further devices don't seem to be able to request this privilege, which is strange.

EDIT2:
In MIDI configurations setting 16 bit input allows the output to be set up to 24bit. Thread with science.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #5,105 of 8,309
got to get the first batch ...should be here in few days 
Aune X1 Pro DAC / Headphone Amplifier 24bit/192 khz DSD 

Performance Specifications:
Full Name 
· X1 Pro 24BIT MINI USB DAC
Highlights:
X1 Pro 24bit mini USB DAC can be used as :
· High quality PC/USB soundcard/DAC
· High quality headphone amp
· high quality pre-amp
color
· Black
Size
·135*51*170(mm)
  Material and Special design
· New X shape appearance design with high-grade abrasive blasting surface.
· Laser carved panels , more refined and more wear-resistant.
Operator interface
· Two-color LED indicator display the current working status, it is easy for night operation.
·Concave button design , fit your fingers comfortably with less fatigue.
· Thread volume knob design , Comfortable and convenient.
Technology Design
Modular functional design , full expansion interface equipped.
External power adapter ,less interference.
3) Concave button design , fit your fingers more comfortable , two-color LED indicator display.
4) Modular functional design , full expansion interface.
5) High quality KOA, WIMA ,NICHICON components used.
Specifications:
Input SPIF×1 Coaxial*1 USB(1.0)×1 Analog RCA *1
Output Analog RCA*1 6.5mm headphone*1
Frequency 20HZ---20KHZ (+/-0.5dB)
THD + N <0.00227% (-92.8dB)@20khz Unweight 
Headphone output 0.05%
Input choose USB/SPDIF ×1 Analog/ digital ×1
Headphone output P-PMAX:10V
Headphone output impedance : 32 ohm---600 ohm
Line output 2Vrms
Power input DC12-18V 500mA
Size (chassis ) 135*51*170 (mm)

Now the X1MK2 has been upgraded to the Aune X1 "Pro" DAC: (Limited to only a few world wide for the first batch) 
Upgrades include USB section from PCM2707 to 24BIT TE7022, the entire USB section of the entire unit can reach to 24BIT which allows for pristine and uninterrupted performance. 
Aune X1 Pro functions :
1. 24BIT USB DAC function —this function is the upgrade of Pro version.
The unit adopts TE TE7022 to reach computer voice signal receiving sections.
Through the USB, interface receives the computer signal directly, using I2S output via the same as TI PCM1793 produced by DAC chip for decoding, and then to the Line Out or expander ear sound output.

2. 24bit/192K DAC:
The unit is provided with a coaxial ( Coaxial ) digital input. Using the ratio as low as 5PS WM8805 receiver chip, the coaxial line receives signal from the CD/DVD and the 24BIT player digital signal can be passed to the machine's DAC chip PCM1793 for decoding, like general CD/DVD turntable sound marked ascending, and can pass through the Line Out output connection to the external amplifiers or through the expander ear output to the headset to enjoy music. This machine is a super cost-effective 24BIT/192K scheme
3. Headphone AMP:
Ear expanding/Headphone section adopts OP+BUF frame line and can improve direct DAC transmissions, but also external larger equipment using Omron signal dedicated relay (Relay ) signal set change, by Line In ( RCA a ) input external analog signal (Analog ) such as CD/ DVD machine. Output, the existing DAC analog signal, and even an IPod sound output (requires adapter through the Lineout output signal )
4 . Pre-AMP:
This feature of Aune X1 Pro has special functionality and can independently volume levels. LINE IN to line OUT volume control, and may choose to DAC output volume controllable, all controlled by single chip microcomputer

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #5,106 of 8,309
When it is available, I will give it a try.

Quote:
  got to get the first batch ...should be here in few days 
Aune X1 Pro DAC / Headphone Amplifier 24bit/192 khz DSD 

Performance Specifications:
Full Name 
· X1 Pro 24BIT MINI USB DAC
Highlights:
X1 Pro 24bit mini USB DAC can be used as :
· High quality PC/USB soundcard/DAC
· High quality headphone amp
· high quality pre-amp
color
· Black
Size
·135*51*170(mm)
  Material and Special design
· New X shape appearance design with high-grade abrasive blasting surface.
· Laser carved panels , more refined and more wear-resistant.
Operator interface
· Two-color LED indicator display the current working status, it is easy for night operation.
·Concave button design , fit your fingers comfortably with less fatigue.
· Thread volume knob design , Comfortable and convenient.
Technology Design
Modular functional design , full expansion interface equipped.
External power adapter ,less interference.
3) Concave button design , fit your fingers more comfortable , two-color LED indicator display.
4) Modular functional design , full expansion interface.
5) High quality KOA, WIMA ,NICHICON components used.
Specifications:
Input SPIF×1 Coaxial*1 USB(1.0)×1 Analog RCA *1
Output Analog RCA*1 6.5mm headphone*1
Frequency 20HZ---20KHZ (+/-0.5dB)
THD + N <0.00227% (-92.8dB)@20khz Unweight 
Headphone output 0.05%
Input choose USB/SPDIF ×1 Analog/ digital ×1
Headphone output P-PMAX:10V
Headphone output impedance : 32 ohm---600 ohm
Line output 2Vrms
Power input DC12-18V 500mA
Size (chassis ) 135*51*170 (mm)

Now the X1MK2 has been upgraded to the Aune X1 "Pro" DAC: (Limited to only a few world wide for the first batch) 
Upgrades include USB section from PCM2707 to 24BIT TE7022, the entire USB section of the entire unit can reach to 24BIT which allows for pristine and uninterrupted performance. 
Aune X1 Pro functions :
1. 24BIT USB DAC function —this function is the upgrade of Pro version.
The unit adopts TE TE7022 to reach computer voice signal receiving sections.
Through the USB, interface receives the computer signal directly, using I2S output via the same as TI PCM1793 produced by DAC chip for decoding, and then to the Line Out or expander ear sound output.

2. 24bit/192K DAC:
The unit is provided with a coaxial ( Coaxial ) digital input. Using the ratio as low as 5PS WM8805 receiver chip, the coaxial line receives signal from the CD/DVD and the 24BIT player digital signal can be passed to the machine's DAC chip PCM1793 for decoding, like general CD/DVD turntable sound marked ascending, and can pass through the Line Out output connection to the external amplifiers or through the expander ear output to the headset to enjoy music. This machine is a super cost-effective 24BIT/192K scheme
3. Headphone AMP:
Ear expanding/Headphone section adopts OP+BUF frame line and can improve direct DAC transmissions, but also external larger equipment using Omron signal dedicated relay (Relay ) signal set change, by Line In ( RCA a ) input external analog signal (Analog ) such as CD/ DVD machine. Output, the existing DAC analog signal, and even an IPod sound output (requires adapter through the Lineout output signal )
4 . Pre-AMP:
This feature of Aune X1 Pro has special functionality and can independently volume levels. LINE IN to line OUT volume control, and may choose to DAC output volume controllable, all controlled by single chip microcomputer

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #5,108 of 8,309
I made a little shelf today on my IKEA Expedit bookshelf beside my component cabinet. It's to hold/display some tubes for the Aune. Here is a quick shot.

It's getting late and I accidentally rolled a couple tubes onto the stone floor in the kitchen. Very sad, but I do like the little shelf. Anyone have a display of their own? Always interested in other ideas.

Going to go to bed and mourn the tubes I smashed like a fool.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #5,109 of 8,309
Yea that's awesome I wish I had that many tubes but can't yet have to pay for dentist crap. But here are some of my shots of what I do have with my Aune T1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hdtv00/sets/72157643908530035/

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #5,111 of 8,309
I'd be interested in the new X1, but if I bought a fully solid state DAC/headphone amp, what would I fiddle with? what would we talk about? Seriously, I really enjoy being able to tinker with the sound of my T1 simply by swapping the tube. I wouldn't buy an expensive solid-state DAC just for that reason. Probably even if I could be convinced it sounded better. I'm having too much fun with my T1, which I now run from my phone (LG G2). And to me this hobby is all about the fun.

Gotta go hunt for some bargain tubes, even though I already have a box of them that all sound great...

dana789

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #5,112 of 8,309
  I'd be interested in the new X1, but if I bought a fully solid state DAC/headphone amp, what would I fiddle with? what would we talk about? Seriously, I really enjoy being able to tinker with the sound of my T1 simply by swapping the tube. I wouldn't buy an expensive solid-state DAC just for that reason. Probably even if I could be convinced it sounded better. I'm having too much fun with my T1, which I now run from my phone (LG G2). And to me this hobby is all about the fun.

Gotta go hunt for some bargain tubes, even though I already have a box of them that all sound great...

dana789

I think (will know more soon ) you can have T1 connected X1 ..no ?

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #5,113 of 8,309
What external amps have you guys trying to feed the T1 into that is a clear upgrade from the T1's built in amp? I tried it with the Asgard 2 and I honestly could not tell the difference. Anyone has experience with upgrading their amp setup while keeping the T1 DAC?

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #5,114 of 8,309
I have a pair or low impedance modified grado 325is headphone so I didn't want to use a valve amp as they tend to prefer high impedance phones, which is why I bought the Aune T1 in the first place.

Over a year ago the forum started talking about how much better the phono output of the Aune T1 was so I did a lot of research and bought a very nice amp from an electronic engineer on ebay called neco_soundlab. He didn't have any v3 mosfet mains powered for sale on ebay so I contacted him and he created a listing for me and I bought it, he made it in less than a week and posted it to me. Excellent service. I did spec a different op amp as an upgrade, a ad8610 for £15 extra.

The sound. It doesn't really have one as it's very transparent to the source. The improvement, the imaging is razor sharp and the high frequencies have much more controlled and defined. Dynamics are only slightly improved as the grados are an easy load for the Aune T1. The best way I would describe the upgrade is detail and speed. I love string instruments for the complex sounds they make. I now hear far more or the timbre within the instruments which makes them sound that much more real. 

The imaging makes singers who are close together on the sound stage easier to single out and follow. Same goes for orchestras too.

Obviously the improved front end coupled to my revealing Grados means the recordings have to be good and well engineered and you can hear the effect the tube is having on the sound more easily.

I have tested many and currently have a E188CC  Philips Miniwatt SQ tube Röhre Valvola NOS in there. It does an excellent job across the frequencies and images well. A great all rounder.

It is very easy to swap between the aune heaphone output and the bossfet output. I wouldn't go back to the aune on it's own. As a dac it's really quite good but the headphone output is the limiting factor.

It always amazes me when I start to listen to this system, no apparent coloration, bass that just sounds right. No matter how good I think I remember it sounds, I put the headphones on and it always is better than I remember.

If I had different headphones then I might have gone down the darkvoice route, but I do love this mosfet sound very much.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #5,115 of 8,309

If I had different headphones then I might have gone down the darkvoice route, but I do love this mosfet sound very much.

Thanks for sharing your experience! And you've had no issues with tube sound colouration taking place at the DAC and not at the amp? I'm thinking about getting an Audio-GD SA-31SE to replace the Aune T1 SS amp but I'm not sure if getting the Audio-GD NFB-10.33 or Audio-GD NFB-10ES3 DAC/Amp combos would be a better idea. Is there a clear way to figure out if another DAC is "better" than the Aune T1's DAC, or is it really a matter of sound signature preference and synergy with the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back